Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:18:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock bitcoins and stop selling. Let price go above 200$  (Read 3524 times)
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:13:21 PM

If you plan to sell at these dream numbers then I doubt the dream is sustainable.

thats true but we are not talking here about selling bitcoins at all but using them when more merchants will start to accept them. The more merchants will be accepting bitcoins then also they wont have to sell them but use with their purchases. And the higher bitcoin price the more people are talking about it and the faster adoption. And the faster adoption the better because for governments it could suddenly be too big to kill Smiley
Agree!
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:32:51 AM

There's no need to risk anything if you are worried the price might go down.  If you are prepared to buy bitcoins to then use them to buy goods, you can basically take one of two options depending on how risk-averse you are.

Option 1: To do this, you just need a small float of bitcoins.  Don't buy the coins first, but rather hold the money (temporarily) as cash at the exchange until you are ready to purchase something.  Then, once you make the purchase (with your float), you can immediately re-buy the coins at the current price.  The net effect is the same (fiat -> BTC -> goods), but you have risked nothing.

But it's more complicated than fiat -> goods because I have to then transfer fiat back into the exchange.

Option 2: If you are confident prices may rise or at least stay the same (and can handle it if you are wrong), buy the coins first and then buy what you want with them.  You may wind up getting a deal in the end vs if you had bought with fiat in the first place.  There is risk this way, but as I say - if you can't handle that, go with Option  1.

Right, and that's my strategy (I'll leave the speculating and day trading to others), but with that strategy, I'm not going to buy coins first if I feel there is market manipulation driving the price up to $200 when it doesn't belong there, because then I'm buying high, not low.

I'm not in the country club that knows when the manipulation will end and get out before the correction. I leave that to the day traders. Not my thing.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 02:26:37 PM

There's no need to risk anything if you are worried the price might go down.  If you are prepared to buy bitcoins to then use them to buy goods, you can basically take one of two options depending on how risk-averse you are.

Option 1: To do this, you just need a small float of bitcoins.  Don't buy the coins first, but rather hold the money (temporarily) as cash at the exchange until you are ready to purchase something.  Then, once you make the purchase (with your float), you can immediately re-buy the coins at the current price.  The net effect is the same (fiat -> BTC -> goods), but you have risked nothing.

But it's more complicated than fiat -> goods because I have to then transfer fiat back into the exchange.

True.  I am assuming these methods for someone already committed to keep up in the inflow of fiat to the exchange as necessary, or already has the fiat waiting at the exchange to buy the coins with.  The strategy was merely to avoid the risk associated with price fluctuations.

Option 2: If you are confident prices may rise or at least stay the same (and can handle it if you are wrong), buy the coins first and then buy what you want with them.  You may wind up getting a deal in the end vs if you had bought with fiat in the first place.  There is risk this way, but as I say - if you can't handle that, go with Option  1.

Right, and that's my strategy (I'll leave the speculating and day trading to others), but with that strategy, I'm not going to buy coins first if I feel there is market manipulation driving the price up to $200 when it doesn't belong there, because then I'm buying high, not low.

I'm not in the country club that knows when the manipulation will end and get out before the correction. I leave that to the day traders. Not my thing.

I agree with you - given the current climate there is a good chance now that one would end up buying high and losing by the time a purchase is made.  Option 1 still is viable in the current climate, however.

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:46:50 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_manipulation

Market manipulation is a deliberate attempt to interfere with the free and fair operation of the market and create artificial, false or misleading appearances with respect to the price of, or market for, a security, commodity or currency. Market manipulation is prohibited in the United States under Section 9(a)(2)[1] of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and in Australia under Section s 1041A of the Corporations Act 2001. The Act defines market manipulation as transactions which create an artificial price or maintain an artificial price for a tradeable security.

Just because bitcoin isn't a centralized currency doesn't alleviate you from following the laws in the country you reside in.

Interesting, by this definition the central bank always violated Section 9(a)(2)[1] of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, they have been artificially maintaining the price of MBS and (indirectly) support those MBS related securites for years

Maybe it was central bank who invented those acts and itself is not regulated under the same act

halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:09:58 AM

There are enough players in bitcoin now that I don't think you could manipulate the price that easily with a forum post.  Want the price to jump?  Your best bet isn't to tell people to stop selling, but to go and persuade merchants to accept bitcoin.  The holy grail would be if Amazon.com started accepting bitcoin, but that would probably take a lot of persuasion.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: