Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:42:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Testnet BITCOIN: BT3] FREE BITCOINS just post your address!  (Read 5252 times)
peetas

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:07:52 PM

mgEPPnVhyQLRfSaVgK62Jee5nd4zBs5BuA
coinerd

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:10:11 PM

Wts 10,000 BT3

10 LTC / K

testnet 4 anyone?

Roll Eyes
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:16:18 AM

Wts 10,000 BT3

10 LTC / K

testnet 4 anyone?
 Roll Eyes

Well, we can always stay on testnet 3 if we want. We can't be forced off of it. At least then we wouldn't have it hanging over our heads that someone might restart it, AND we can stay up-to-date with all the new bitcoin updates as changing the testnet just means future genesis blocks are different.

more or less retired.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:30:51 AM

Wts 10,000 BT3

10 LTC / K

testnet 4 anyone?
 Roll Eyes

Well, we can always stay on testnet 3 if we want. We can't be forced off of it. At least then we wouldn't have it hanging over our heads that someone might restart it, AND we can stay up-to-date with all the new bitcoin updates as changing the testnet just means future genesis blocks are different.

Wow that's funny, you previously said that you didn't want anybody to fork future Bitcoin version in case of new testnet coming because it would ask some trust to the forker:
If I copy past fork bitcoin and change the genesis block, it will make me responsible for maintaining the code base. If not me, someone else would be. And then everyone would have to trust me that every time there is some update people will have to trust that I haven't worked some malicious code changes into the mix. Not everyone is competent enough to check the code every time.  

This is why I do not advocate some bitcoin clone because it creates a point of vulnerability. We trust the bitcoin devs, and by using testnet we don't introduce any vulnerabilities from some new random dev that forks the code.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 11:34:44 AM

http://satoshiroulette.com/?mode=TST

We had a request to support testnet and as far as a test coin goes it is the perfect coin.
We shall support testnet as long as the core developers do not have an issue.

Please remember that the testnet can be reset at any point, you should consider the coins worthless and for testing purposes only.

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:31:45 PM

Wts 10,000 BT3

10 LTC / K

testnet 4 anyone?
 Roll Eyes

Wow that's funny, you previously said that you didn't want anybody to fork future Bitcoin version in case of new testnet coming because it would ask some trust to the forker:
If I copy past fork bitcoin and change the genesis block, it will make me responsible for maintaining the code base. If not me, someone else would be. And then everyone would have to trust me that every time there is some update people will have to trust that I haven't worked some malicious code changes into the mix. Not everyone is competent enough to check the code every time. 

This is why I do not advocate some bitcoin clone because it creates a point of vulnerability. We trust the bitcoin devs, and by using testnet we don't introduce any vulnerabilities from some new random dev that forks the code.

No, you're absolutely right and I stand by both statements. My goal is to try and convince the developers that allowing testnet to flourish is a good thing. That bitcoin needs a staging ground where we can experiment with new economics ideas and projects. We can't be forced off testnet 3, so worse come worse, people can stay on it. I definitely think that it's important not to introduce the developers-trust issue that arrises with other alt-coins and my idea is premised on the assumption that the Bitcoin Dev's are the best dev's out there. If however they decide that they refuse to lend their credibility to any chain other the Bitcoin, then we would have to cross that bridge when we get there. My hope though is that they warm up to the idea of testnet being the ideal staging ground for Bitcoin. We have a lot of work to do however before we can make that case in a solid way however.

Please give your thoughts as well on the Bitcoin Development Email list. You can see one of the threads talking about these ideas at the Source forge repository here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30868065

more or less retired.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:46:31 PM

If however they decide that they refuse to lend their credibility to any chain other the Bitcoin
Don't make misleading statements, that's not the point. What they don't want is making Testnet coins valuable.
By the way, of course they don't want to lend their credibility to Testnet: they admitted themselves that it might be bogus. Would you want to make people value bogus systems?

My hope though is that they warm up to the idea of testnet being the ideal staging ground for Bitcoin.
Great, that's exactly the point of Testnet.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:01:24 PM

If however they decide that they refuse to lend their credibility to any chain other the Bitcoin
Don't make misleading statements, that's not the point. What they don't want is making Testnet coins valuable.
By the way, of course they don't want to lend their credibility to Testnet: they admitted themselves that it might be bogus. Would you want to make people value bogus systems?

In what way do you mean "bogus"?

That said, any way around it I can't see how testnet could be more bogus then almost all these 'alt-coins' down here. (Some notable exceptions of course). In any case, we shall see.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:20:26 PM

Is there a testnet mining pool?

It's p2pool and I am currently not taking a fee.

To mine:

ADDRESS: 84.200.2.8:4000
Username: Your bitcoin *TESTNET* address
Password: Any password

You can check out the stats here:

http://84.200.2.8:4000/static/

more or less retired.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:21:56 PM

That said, any way around it I can't see how testnet could be more bogus then almost all these 'alt-coins' down here. (Some notable exceptions of course). In any case, we shall see.
Bogus because of the untested op codes: mem leaks, unexpected behavior, etc
I can't find any thread where the devs said so though. Try searching in the dev&tech subforum.

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:04:28 AM

Bogus because of the untested op codes: mem leaks, unexpected behavior, etc
I can't find any thread where the devs said so though. Try searching in the dev&tech subforum.

I know, but thats the whole point in my opinion. We need to test these things- they can't be merged into main-net bitcoin before extensive testing. I would like just to see the threat of an arbitrary testnet reset taken away so that the network can go in whatever direction it might. The 'bogus' element should be a condition of playing with testnet- you accept the risk in order to participate in greater in depth testing of the bitcoin network. People value nonesense alt-coins for no reason whatsoever, they should be allowed to value testnet coins as well as they please. It will give an economic incentive to test non-standard transactions.

more or less retired.
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:06:10 AM

I would like just to see the threat of an arbitrary testnet reset taken away so that the network can go in whatever direction it might.
But that would completely defeat the purpose of testnet.
The whole point of testnet is having no value, if you want to test something that might have value, use an altcoin...

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:14:23 AM

I would like just to see the threat of an arbitrary testnet reset taken away so that the network can go in whatever direction it might.
The whole point of testnet is having no value, if you want to test something that might have value, use an altcoin...

This subforum is full of the experiences of trying with an altcoin. Energy gets needlessly frittered away with dealing with attacks, poor code, poor updates, patches, etc... In the end it's an exercise of reinventing the wheel but no one ever gets around to building a better cart. Also, the lessons learned on alt-coins never get filtered back into Bitcoin. It's like slaving away in a bubble that when it pops- it just disappears and no one cares.

Testnet is unique in that it is a near clone of bitcoin, managed by the bitcoin devs. If we could pool this talent and energy that is going any-which-way down here in Alt-coin land into the testnet we would have a greater chance to work together to improve Bitcoin. As it stands these two communities nearly hate each other, and even if there was knowledge that could be shared, ego's prevent even that.

The idea is that testnet has advanced Bitcoin features that no-one is testing thoroughly enough for them to ever be incorporated into main-net Bitcoin.

more or less retired.
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 08:18:42 AM

There is no need to fear, if the testnet develops value the devs will likely reset it if it becomes a problem.

Testnet is not for storing value

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:36:03 AM

It's true, I am probably arguing an irrelevant point at the moment, but it would be really nice to see more work go back into bitcoin rather then x-alt-coin.  Grin

more or less retired.
junglist.massive

Activity: 759
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:43:22 AM

12UMFRgkesJU16C9kdxeXFpC8re8yKD8eM

thanks!
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:48:04 AM

12UMFRgkesJU16C9kdxeXFpC8re8yKD8eM

thanks!

*Sigh*

more or less retired.
mullick
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:51:34 AM

What I think would work out well is if testnet 4 were released. testnet 3 could be picked up by a dev team. Who could work with the btc dev team as far as sharing information. it could be relabelled as TN3 or something. It would be an experimentation coin. If they communicated with the btc devs they could try out ideas on tn3 where there would be sufficient hashrate and community support. If it goes well some features could be implemented in bitcoin. I firmly believe a new altcoin should not be created if it's features could instead be implemented into bitcoin but there needs to be a good testing ground with large hashrate and lots of active trading/transactions
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:55:57 AM

What I think would work out well is if testnet 4 were released. testnet 3 could be picked up by a dev team. Who could work with the btc dev team as far as sharing information. it could be relabelled as TN3 or something. It would be an experimentation coin. If they communicated with the btc devs they could try out ideas on tn3 where there would be sufficient hashrate and community support. If it goes well some features could be implemented in bitcoin. I firmly believe a new altcoin should not be created if it's features could instead be implemented into bitcoin but there needs to be a good testing ground with large hashrate and lots of active trading/transactions
So you want an altcoin which is just Bitcoin+op codes? (for now)

mullick
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:03:34 AM

I would think the only way a dev team would get behind it is if there already was an innovation to be tested. This is all on the thought that testnet 4 were released.

If there was nothing to be tested the "coin" would be pointless. Im just saying it would be nice to have a coin so similar to bitcoin with a large hashrate and lots of transactions to really test out Ideas.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: