Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:11:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it too late to collect Bitcoin Cash?  (Read 322 times)
superlative (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:11:11 PM

I know how people before Aug 1 were supposed to collect Bitcoin Cash, but if I bought a bitcoin after that date, and had it sitting in an exchange - it might not be too late to collect Bitcoin Cash, correct?  It would only be invalid, if someone already claimed the bitcoin cash at that address?

thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Josepht

Activity: 1008
Merit: 515

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2017, 09:12:54 PM

You only have bitcoin cash if you have access to private keys of an address that had a balance at the time of the fork. If you have bought coins on an exchange after that, you are too late.

You will however be able to buy the bitcoin cash on an exchange if you wish.
superlative (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:18:52 PM

Yes, what I mean is: if I withdraw that bitcoin from the exchange into a wallet - couldn't I still try to deposit that bitcoin into a BCC account and it would credit me if the BCC for that bitcoin was not already claimed?  Or is that not how it works, and the bitcoin address had to hold the bitcoin prior to Aug 1, even if that particular bitcoin that I own was mined before Aug 1?
boyptc

Activity: 2982
Merit: 678

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:20:05 PM

but if I bought a bitcoin after that date, and had it sitting in an exchange.
You can't claim any BCH by that time, since the hard fork is done so only those people that has bitcoin on their wallet BEFORE the hard fork are the ones that can claim their BCH.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
superlative (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:26:52 PM

okay thanks.  So the key is that the bitcoin had to exist in a wallet, not merely exist.  I thought a BCC could be claimed so long as the bitcoin existed (was mined already), so that bitcoins that were in "limbo" in some exchange could theoretically be withdrawn into a wallet to see if the corresponding BCC had been claimed already for that pre-existing bitcoin.  It's too bad, given that BCC is $450 right now. :-(

Thanks!!
GreatOrchid
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:29:17 PM

Yes of course, i got mine a few hours after the fork was done, unfortunately, there is no way to claim them back again because more than 3 months have passed since the fork happened, why are you too late? i mean, there were more than 90 days for you to realize that you didn't claimed those bitcoin cash.
Maybe you are regreting about claiming them, i would always claim those kind of free coins because they are "free" and nobody can reject free money.
Josepht

Activity: 1008
Merit: 515

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2017, 09:31:02 PM

Yes, what I mean is: if I withdraw that bitcoin from the exchange into a wallet - couldn't I still try to deposit that bitcoin into a BCC account and it would credit me if the BCC for that bitcoin was not already claimed?  Or is that not how it works, and the bitcoin address had to hold the bitcoin prior to Aug 1, even if that particular bitcoin that I own was mined before Aug 1?

Simple answer is no. If you withdraw bitcoins from a exchange, it doesn't send bitcoin cash. You only receive the bitcoins on a new address.

It's not hard to understand. At the time of the split, whichever address hold bitcoins at that particular time, also holds bitcoin cash. So you can always think by yourself wheter or not a specific address had bitcoins at that point in time.
overlooker

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:34:57 PM

okay thanks.  So the key is that the bitcoin had to exist in a wallet, not merely exist.  I thought a BCC could be claimed so long as the bitcoin existed (was mined already), so that bitcoins that were in "limbo" in some exchange could theoretically be withdrawn into a wallet to see if the corresponding BCC had been claimed already for that pre-existing bitcoin.  It's too bad, given that BCC is $450 right now. :-(

Thanks!!

that is not correct. the existence of bitcoin is sufficient and there is no difference between existence in a wallet or exchange. the problem is, to access the BCC you need private keys for the address on which the bitcoins were during the event. when you buy on btc on an exchange, you dont get the private keys, you can withdraw to your address from which you have keys but the exchange will send you only BTC, so you cant access any BCC
susila_bai

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:37:19 PM

I think Bitcoin Cash can be claimed only once and that you can do anytime, their is no time limit only thing is that on the August 1st on hardfork time in your bitcoin wallet should be holding the bitcoins then only you can get claim it. If the bitcoin wallet was empty then you will not get Bitcoin Cash now or anytime.
uszaty43

Activity: 849
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:49:17 PM

No mate, there is no way to claim those bitcoin cash because the fork is already over, just like the other guy said, why didnt you claim them before? you had a lot of time to do it, i can not get it why didnt you claimed them. But at least, did you claim your bitcoin goldies?
You know that it is too risky to stay giving your private keys to other wallets right? dont be so stupid, if you are in a hurry to collect those bitcoin cash, probably you will be scammed.
bamboylee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:02:23 PM

No mate, there is no way to claim those bitcoin cash because the fork is already over, just like the other guy said, why didnt you claim them before? you had a lot of time to do it, i can not get it why didnt you claimed them. But at least, did you claim your bitcoin goldies?
You know that it is too risky to stay giving your private keys to other wallets right? dont be so stupid, if you are in a hurry to collect those bitcoin cash, probably you will be scammed.

Claiming bitcoin cash from an address does not have time limit. It just need two conditions. First, it must have bitcoin on the time of the fork,  and that he owns the private key to collect it. But OP wants to collect bitcoin cash from newly purchased bitcoin, which is not possible.

OP: You can buy bitcoin cash from exchanges if you really believe it have a future.
Red_Sanford

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:40:27 PM

Claiming bitcoin cash from an address does not have time limit. It just need two conditions. First, it must have bitcoin on the time of the fork,  and that he owns the private key to collect it. But OP wants to collect bitcoin cash from newly purchased bitcoin, which is not possible.

OP: You can buy bitcoin cash from exchanges if you really believe it have a future.

How about if I had BTC in a private wallet during the BTG split and then after the split spent the BTC.

I still have the address and keys

Can I collect BTG ?

TRAVELCHAIN
  Make a trip of your dreams!   
▄██▄███████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▄██▄
▀██▀█████████▄░░░░░░░░░▄█████████▀██▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▄░░░░░▄███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░▄███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀░▄███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
=
  SmartTravelling ecosystem 
[ Twitter ]   [ Facebook ]   [ Medium ]
▬▬▬  [ Website ]   [ Whitepaper ]  ▬▬▬
[ Instagram ]   [ Telegram ]   [ Youtube ]

hah

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:24:08 AM

How about if I had BTC in a private wallet during the BTG split and then after the split spent the BTC.

I still have the address and keys

Can I collect BTG ?

BTG is the ticker for bitcoin gold...BTG only took a snapshot so far and haven't release the coin to the public yet. There might be some issue with replay protection involving BTG but yes you can collect the BTG if you got the keys for the amount of BTC before the snapshot.

If you got BTG and bitcoin cash's BCH ticker confused then YES you can still collect BCH with your BTC private key or seed.

HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:34:11 AM

To me, the key to answering your question in the OP is " if I bought a bitcoin after that date ".  The answer is NO.  If you bought bitcoin after the fork date, you can not claim any Bitcoin Cash.  Bitcoin Cash is linked to the wallet that held the Bitcoin at the fork date.  There would be no Bitcoin Cash associated with a wallet that held no Bitcoins on Aug. 1st.  There is no time limit on claiming it, though.  If you know the private key of a wallet that held Bitcoin on Aug 1st, you can claim it at any point the future.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: