Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:12:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Guide: Building a Solar Powered Mining-Plant  (Read 32391 times)
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:37:49 PM

I want to find a guide for the Raspberry Pi & 12v ASICs.

That should be working with just the same setup I have over here using the "minepeon". Have you tried that already?

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:33:06 AM

From experience in boats and RVs I can say that it's a good idea to keep things simple.

I want to find a guide for the Raspberry Pi & 12v ASICs.

You want to keep everything 12v if you can. Converting to and from A/C induces loss and gets complicated.

The advantage of ASIC is that you can potentially keep adding them until they match what your solar panel is putting out.

I also recommend keeping the whole thing independent on it's own if possible, running either off a leisure battery or another battery setup if you have something cheap or for free.

I don't like batteries; I would much rather store energy as kinetic if possible - like water in a high place. Batteries are always going wrong and they're hard to service. Even forklift batteries get corroded on the fins inside. Sealed batteries are even worse.

Questions:

- 12v USB hub. How to add extra power without using a wallwart?
- Is there a guide for the Raspberry Pi and ASICs? I think if the Pi runs off USB it's unreliable? I've tried the Beaglebone and that's more reliable off USB, running at a lower CPU mhz (300mhz instead of 800mhz I think)
- another way to store 12v energy other than batteries which need replacing?

The Raspberry Pi runs off of a USB power source only.  For storage I saw a kickstarter project for a flywheel if you don't like batteries.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 02:13:33 AM

I think it's really expensive to power your house from batteries at night.  Most houses get power from the grid at night.

Wouldn't the batteries be charged during the day though, to where at night all you're doing is burning up the saved energy, then replenishing it (while at the same time generating power for things) during the day?

Yes, but you have to buy the batteries and all the charging equipment.

I was under the impression that all of that was required anyways, to account from the over/underusing (so for ex. if you're generating 1 KW/hour and you happen to use 300 W one hour, you'd have 700 stored away so the next hour you could use 1.7KW and still not have issues).
If only it was 100% efficient....., you don't take into account fully charged  or empty batteries.

Also you have to watch these "criminals" and their solar power ratings for the panels., just consider that you need to at least double or triple up, to ensure that you can use the power AND charge the batteries, if you go that way.... even if you feed surplus into the grid its not the storage capacity you think it is..

I spoke to a 'friend' who has a solar panel factory.. and I was quite shocked, by the time he had finished calculating, we reckoned  on nearly 500 panels for even a small sized mining operation.....

Just run the figures for something about 500w..... over a 24 hour period..... (12 kw) based on a 4-5 hours of full sunlight ...

and these 20% conversion rates are bull*** as well (yep if you can get NASA quality then your in with a chance)

So you mean that if you need, say 10 KW a day, estimate 2 KW per hour and therefore you need at least twice that (4 KW/hour) to account for bad efficiency?

It is not down to just efficiency loss, but published Vrs real ratings... Weather... time of year.... temp of panels... age of panels

I'm saying run the numbers , it's not the gold mine  people say it is, one of the biggest mistakes is failing to understand the difference between KWh and KW

Panels are stated it W or KW. (and you will not believe the shit load of light they hit the panels with to get that rating...)

You cannot have your cake and eat it... I.E you cannot use the power for your rig AND charge the batteries.
So it is AT LEAST double....
I.E
fag paket calculation @ 100% efficiency...
100w rig would need 100wh +100wh to charge the batteries, and if it is a 5 hour charge then that would get you up-to 10 hrs of running time TOTAL. (5hrs sun +5hrs battery)
To run for 24 hrs
You would need 4*100w (20hr battery storage@5hrs)+100w to run the rig(for 5 hours), then after the sun is down you start on the battery....

I.E 500W of panels to run 24Hr @100% efficiency.  (basically a 5:1 ratio).

So 1KW would require 5KW @100% efficiency if I were to require 24hour solar.

Your 10KW is basically 420w/h and if you can get 5 hours sun...
its looking like  2.2kw/h as you said....

But now we have to start throwing in actual efficiency...  god only knows what the panels actual wattage is, but the MORE storage capacity in the battery you have, the better its operation.
I.E if you take lead acid to 'deep discharge', then the efficiency overall drops by as much as 30-40%, that is a third of the Wattage you generate just 'disappears'

http://www.localenergy.org/pdfs/Document%20Library/Lead%20Acid%20Battery%20Efficiency.pdf

Here you are expected to maintain >70% charge state on the batteries..... and just use the 'top' 30%... to get a charge efficiency of ~90% storage conversion, drop below that and your storage efficiency hits 70%

I'd really like to do some research on this, with field values of an actual setup.. but cash is a problem.

If my house had been in a slightly different place, I would be looking to use Water as there is a concrete drainage ditch nearby 1:3 slope... continuous 24hr power...

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:24:29 AM

Could you guys stop fullquoting everything, please?
Thanks in advance. Smiley

Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:54:24 PM

I have just updated the initial posting at the beginning of this threat.
I had there an mistake with the premium solar panel. It was not 12Volt-compatible.
I have added a proper solar panel now.

tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 06:19:38 PM

Just wondering if you realise you've only heatsinked the LAN chip on your pi - the CPU is actually hiding under the RAM chip!
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 06:44:09 PM

@tom_o:
As of right now I have heatsinked them both.
Besides: The LAN-chip is getting way hotter on a mining-setup like the one I am running.
CPU is probably idling most of the time (or at least running at low utilization).

Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:00:11 PM

I just finished my setup using this adjustable stepdown-converter for solar-powering my usb-hub and this converter for solar-powering my raspberry.

Running three Block Erupter USB-Miners along with the raspberry and the hub I am running at 0.8A.
Pretty cool! Smiley

Trillium

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 09:08:08 AM

I just finished my setup using this adjustable stepdown-converter for solar-powering my usb-hub and this converter for solar-powering my raspberry.

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QFsBHeCcL._SX342_.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KIS3R33S-DC-DC-7-24V-to-5V-3A-USB-Power-Converter-Buck-Module-/00/s/NDY2WDcxNg==/z/x9oAAMXQCtlROcPy/$(KGrHqJ,!q4FE1DPDNBEBROcP)2(7!~~60_12.JPG[img]

Running three Block Erupter USB-Miners along with the raspberry and the hub I am running at 0.8A.
Pretty cool! Smiley

You've obviously gone to a lot of work for all this, I'd love to see some pics of what you came up with in the end. Like panels/battery/charger etc. Maybe put it in the mining hardware pic thread (130+ pages thread)?

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
Darktongue

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:56:44 AM

Oh man kudos.  And even more for the small stuff Smiley nice to see someone useing a pico psu. Anyhow this is impressive. I never got quite this deep. I'm thinking I need to. I have some breakout cells that will charge a 12v battery during the day and supply a good night and a morning of reserve power. I also have a windmill I picked up for $600 that I can pull enough juice from to run lighting and charge devices with. Together it could substain two people comfortable. That is ofcourse making sure shits OFF.

Blah I'm tired.  Mostly wanted to watch this post but we see how far that went
polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:55:29 AM

Good. But you will require special battery to follow up.

Your method is not strong enough as you still need thengrid.
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 10:10:56 AM

Good. But you will require special battery to follow up.
Your method is not strong enough as you still need thengrid.

Im running this for a couple of months already... Wink

bliss

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 12:18:24 AM

Very good post and very useful instructions. Keep up the great work.   Grin

the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.
dma88

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:36:04 PM

what's the ROI?

Make passive income here.. don't let the name fool you, do your own research and find out for yourself.  it's called exitscam, but it's actually legit.  Looks similar to a ponzi, but it's not.  And it's perfectly legal, not a registered security, as the "dividends" are payouts, not actual dividends.  Check it out at http://exitscam.me/luminium
Zawamiya

Activity: 526

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:22:42 AM

Nice, but I think the ROI would be better without using solar, can always go to country which electricity is really cheap...
Bitcoinbernd (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:51:19 AM

I am wondering, if over the time since I posted the original thread people have build solar-powered mining-systems on their own?  Smiley

Justy

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 12:04:22 AM

I like the general consensus that fossil fuels are as infinite and bountiful as bit ion,all you guys will all be running rigs on reuseables in a generation,unless of course old money and it's chokehold are required to power your currency,bit coin miners are very glib about power whilst stroking their testacles(or clitorus) about their perceived wealth.
Could the original poster get in touch,some of us have vision,posted a solar question recently plenty of views,not an ounce of advice,let's talk dude Wink
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 12:53:32 AM

I am wondering, if over the time since I posted the original thread people have build solar-powered mining-systems on their own?  Smiley
I just found your thread and I'm still reading it but I plan to move my devices (not only miners) on my home to solar, I live in a city with sun 7 days a week. Thanks for this wonderful information and I hope to get it a real thing and not only a plan on my to-do list Cheesy
hayduke

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 12:57:07 AM

Hey Now.

Just found your thread. Seeing as how I live in Florida, I thought it might be a sensible idea

All I want to do is place a couple of 13v solar panels on my roof and run them to my Miners.

So far from the research that I've done, I'm gonna need an DC->AC converter, line conditioner and Deep Cycle 12V battery for charging if I'm gonna run 24/7.

Anyone tried this yet?

~ hayduke
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:23:34 AM

If you're just running miners keep everything dc.  Use dc to dc converter to get 12 or 5 volts.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: