Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:47:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got hacked and robbed. My mistake for keeping coins on exchange  (Read 1492 times)
cipher-x_09

Activity: 168
Merit: 120

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:32:02 PM

Maybe your computer is filled with virus or many during transaction there might be open tab or links in your browser in which you accidentally  click into either way what's  done is done lesson learned you should never store your coins in coin bank during transactions.

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
romecheo

Activity: 476
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:38:05 PM

That's the reason why exchange offers several combination of security for any transaction, to suppress any unauthorized transaction.

Beside password, we have to enable Two Factor Authentication, we can also set IP white listing, or Withdrawal white listing.

Remember when setting your password it should be a strong password, which a combination of Big and Small Letter, Numbers, special Characters and at least 25 to 30 characters long.

https://www.lifewire.com/strong-password-examples-2483118  

and don't forget to tighten security of workstation.

OS updates, Anti-malware, browser protection.

▀▀████████████████▄▄         H A V E N      /      HOLD HAVEN. EARN BNB!         ▄▄████████████████▀▀
Community Driven DeFi Project Built on BSC
|    Whitepaper    |      Telegram      |       Twitter       |      [ SafeHaven.Finance ]      |     Instagram     |        Reddit        |      YouTube      |
Odora

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:43:09 PM

how can , I still ask if you go to a fake site, I have an account in coinbase too,
I think coinbase is safe enough, it will be lesson for me to be more careful again .. Smiley
gesdan

Activity: 616

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:46:22 PM

my advice is dont tell anyone your password and email about bitcoin, second safe your password only on you mind or you can write it in paper with some code encryption, second check twice about the url that you visit is the link is valid or its a fake one

ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 714
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 01:48:42 PM

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope it wasn't much but yes it was totally wrong to leave coins on an exchange.
Why would you do that ? Even if they weren't stolen, what if the exchange just goes down ? Or turns out to be scammy suddenly ?

Definitely not a good idea ! Your coins would be gone the same way they were. I've been saying this almost every single week. DON'T leave coins except in your own wallet and in an address that you have the private keys to saved somewhere safe.

the thief was was able to login from my IP and was able to login to my email despite the fact that I had just changed my password. Be careful out there. Cold wallet your coins.

You changed your password recently and he could get it that easy ? Well, this suggests one thing only ! The thief hacked into your computer and must've installed some sort of key logger. Hacking stuff are crazy, he might have just used your computer (remote control) and send the coins (I guess you probably have your login info saved in the browser ? ) or even worse you got tricked into entering your login info into a fake phishing site that was sent to your email and you thought it's from them.

Plus don't they have 2fa ? If it exists and you didn't set it up, that's definitely a huge mistake.
Well, we learn from our mistakes but I guess this was a costly one.
Prodigan786

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:53:57 PM

Thanks for your experience but now a days we cant even trust ether wallet for holding tokens lots of hacks happening. But i dint heard about bitcoin wallet hacks. in my country its difficult to find hardware or cold wallet .
yamortsac

Activity: 154
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 02:03:37 PM

It feels sad and scary to know about that what happened but thank you for sharing this because this will be a warning for us to be more secure in our wallet. I learned a lesson from this.
cammie16

Activity: 462

BitHostCoin.io

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 02:09:00 PM

That's why it is always said not to store your bitcoins in exchange ever.We are already familiar wit Mt.Gox collapse.But even now,some newbies don't know about the seriousness of storing bitcoins in exchanges.

Always store in desktop wallets like Electrum which are safe and secure.

I have some bitcoins in an exchange, now Im planning it to withdraw. I used electrum once so maybe I should use a desktop wallet now.
Anyway, Sorry to hear about what happened to OP. Next time just add more securities to all your wallets.

│      Whitepaper      │              BITHOST                          The Coin With Implemented Project            │      Announce      │
―――――            COMPLETE SOLUTION FOR HOSTING WITH CRYPTOCURRENCY            ―――――
│     Telegram     │     Twitter     │     Facebook     │     Github     │     Discord     │
mashort

Activity: 281
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 03:39:56 PM

what is your opinion of mycellium wallet. is it safe?
Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:03:22 PM

OP, sorry for your losses. You really have to stop using exchanges.

what is your opinion of mycellium wallet. is it safe?

Getting a hardware wallet will be safer. Since you are storing BTC which is valuable, get a hardware wallet under $100 to safeguard your BTC and Altcoins. Treat it as an insurance or something. Hardware wallet is definitely worth the money.
rushingfn (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:09:01 PM

To answer some questions: This does appear to have been caused by malware. Which I've cleaned up

The vulnerability is that anyone could mask your IP and do a forgotten password exploit. This guy was able to loginto my email and clicked the link from there. Apparently there is no 2 step authentication when logging in after a new password is created. He was able to drain my hot wallet despite me replying to the text and via email that I did not change my password.

I did not keep myself off 2fa authentication for 30 days.

I have not heard too much from coinbase and I am worried that this vulnerability. I figure that this is a loss.

I am however keeping on the sunny side as I have still not lost any money in bicoin despite the theft.

Be careful out there.  
bitjoin

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:12:32 PM

I find it hard to understand why coinbase would have it so if you reset your password there is no 2FA?  Most other exchanges block you from doing stuff after a password reset not lessen your security and give you more freedom. Never used coinbase so dont know.

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
.....5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y......
|     TWITTER     |    TELEGRAM    |     DISCORD     |
....JOIN NOW....
mobilazy

Activity: 308
Merit: 22

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:30:01 PM

Sorry to hear it. You taught me a valuable lesson. I assumed that exchanges as Coinbase are quite safe.

---Bounty is a stupid use of my time---
posternat

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:54:05 PM

Its so sad. That's the reason why i suggest people to use hardware wallet instead online wallets. Now days its easy to hack everything. Hackers are now more cleaver than before. Anyways people learn from his mistake you should not store your bitcoin in exchange. Again i suggest you to use hardware wallet like Ledger Nano S
bitorama

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:54:33 PM

it's safer to keep coins in the cold wallet or hardware wallet
Lampaster

Activity: 406
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 06:07:24 PM

I never keep coins for a long time in the account on the exchange. I go translate the coins just before exchange to Fiat. After the exchange, I immediately transfer money to a Bank card. If transaction cost would be below these problems could have been avoided. The time of the transaction must also be reduced to a minimum.
Frank0209

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 06:08:13 PM

Its so sad. That's the reason why i suggest people to use hardware wallet instead online wallets. Now days its easy to hack everything. Hackers are now more cleaver than before. Anyways people learn from his mistake you should not store your bitcoin in exchange. Again i suggest you to use hardware wallet like Ledger Nano S

I agree with you but I'm still curious that there are a lot of topic like "which wallet should I use?", "How to keep my Bitcoin safe?", "Which is the best wallet?".....so many topics like that in here but I think people just want to ask but they don't really care about other opinion and experience Smiley). They received a lot of good advices that they only should use Off wallet and Coldstorage wallet but they still use web wallet or exchanges.
jagdeepjd

Activity: 700
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 06:14:22 PM

This is sad i am also using coinbase and have the sms authentication it asks for sms before withdraw. After your incident i may think of transferring my coins to some other wallet.
Crypdon

Activity: 616
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 06:22:32 PM

Not sure how it can be possible. Even sh*t exchanges like nova will send an email to your account asking you to confirm the withdrawal. Why is this not done on coinbase?
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 06:24:36 PM

Okay this is some serious issue, and i am really sorry for your trouble. But even when you lose, you still can share this wonderful knowledge to all of us.
So, i learn some things.
1. Exchange is some website or smartphone app wallet
2. Hard wallet is like a usb device that store all your coin in it and it is safer because it has some extra protection.
3. Do not store bitcoin long enough in an exchange app

So for me, who does not have hard wallet, i guess it is better if every time i get bitcoin i will directly trade it to fiat currency? Or do you guys have any idea and experience on how to keep bitcoin safely without hard wallet? Please do tell us, share some knowledge.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: