Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:25:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A "beginner's" Alt-coin?  (Read 735 times)
oneword25 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:02:59 PM

Hey guys!

I'm interested in hearing some recommendations / suggestions in regards to a great 'starting out' Alt-coin; an Alt-coin for someone who's just starting out looking into the whole inner-workings of the technology surrounding the digital coin world.

Are there any great up-and-comers utilizing improved technologies over some of the older ones, etc..?

Thanks!
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 03:04:11 PM

No, not really. Most altcoins just copy bitcoin in a bad way. LTC is one of the best ones as it is different from the bunch.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:05:34 PM

No, not really. Most altcoins just copy bitcoin in a bad way. LTC is one of the best ones as it is different from the bunch.

Pretty much this.  90% of the altcoins (probably higher) are LTC clones.  The rest are straight BTC rips.  A very small amount are legitimately different; I recommend looking into PPC for a coin which does something different than "reduce the amount of time to mine a block".

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 03:08:29 PM

Pretty much this.  90% of the altcoins (probably higher) are LTC clones.  The rest are straight BTC rips.  A very small amount are legitimately different; I recommend looking into PPC for a coin which does something different than "reduce the amount of time to mine a block".
I think heard of it. Is there any positive points about that coin?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:13:20 PM

It has this weird concept named "Proof of Stake" where essentially, simply by having your wallet open, you earn like 1% interest on all your coins yearly.  Or something like that.  Supposedly, in the long run, it's a lot greener, as it doesn't require miners constantly trying to solve and spend energy, or at least not so many as would Bitcoin, which requires more and more miners to keep going.  There's a few other things that don't come to mind, but you should be able to find the thread in the altcoin section, which outlines all its features.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 03:15:04 PM

It has this weird concept named "Proof of Stake" where essentially, simply by having your wallet open, you earn like 1% interest on all your coins yearly.  Or something like that.  Supposedly, in the long run, it's a lot greener, as it doesn't require miners constantly trying to solve and spend energy, or at least not so many as would Bitcoin, which requires more and more miners to keep going.  There's a few other things that don't come to mind, but you should be able to find the thread in the altcoin section, which outlines all its features.
Really? What do you mean by open? Do I have to keep my computer turned on with my wallet open for a whole year?  Shocked

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:17:25 PM

Really? What do you mean by open? Do I have to keep my computer turned on with my wallet open for a whole year?  Shocked

Correct; well, you don't necessarily have to keep it open at all times, but it accumulates more and more (I think) the longer you have it open.  Difference being, instead of a machine constantly hacking away at math, it simply sits there and says, "Yep, the coins are still here."

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

Correct; well, you don't necessarily have to keep it open at all times, but it accumulates more and more (I think) the longer you have it open.  Difference being, instead of a machine constantly hacking away at math, it simply sits there and says, "Yep, the coins are still here."
Lol. I might actually try it. Know any PPC faucets I can get started with?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:22:37 PM

Can't help you there, I picked up a few off an exchange but never really looked into it after that.

Check here to see if there's anything that can get you started.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 03:23:54 PM

Can't help you there, I picked up a few off an exchange but never really looked into it after that.

Check here to see if there's anything that can get you started.
Thanks. Will look into it when I have the time.

SlobBastard

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:46:10 AM

Thanks Mike for the info.  I've been looking for something to get the kids into which is different from BTC so that they can see the differences.  This sounds good.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:50:29 AM

i would argue that infinite coin and ez coin are good beginner coins. low diff, so its easy to learn about mining. bear in mind these coins offer little innovation but they are good for beginners.

as far as an innovative coin, i would say Megacoin, though its not very valuable due to the dumpers. eventually it will probably fall somewhere between litecoin and ppc in the pecking order. keep you eye on bottlecaps too

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
bitbitcoins

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 09:11:10 AM

Hey guys!

I'm interested in hearing some recommendations / suggestions in regards to a great 'starting out' Alt-coin; an Alt-coin for someone who's just starting out looking into the whole inner-workings of the technology surrounding the digital coin world.

Are there any great up-and-comers utilizing improved technologies over some of the older ones, etc..?

Thanks!

No sorry

SlobBastard

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:16:37 AM

i would argue that infinite coin and ez coin are good beginner coins. low diff, so its easy to learn about mining. bear in mind these coins offer little innovation but they are good for beginners.

as far as an innovative coin, i would say Megacoin, though its not very valuable due to the dumpers. eventually it will probably fall somewhere between litecoin and ppc in the pecking order. keep you eye on bottlecaps too

This is great info - thanks r3wt.  I'll look into infinite & ez now.  That bottlecap-coin sounds worth checking out too Smiley
jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:17:04 AM

Before LTC there are fairbrix and tenebrix and also Solidcoin

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:18:30 AM

This is great info - thanks r3wt.  I'll look into infinite & ez now.  That bottlecap-coin sounds worth checking out too Smiley

don't forget, my first coin debuts tomorrow. i don't expect it to be very good. i'm thinking about changing the name to "Failcoin"

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: