Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:44:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-14 Financial Times - The Bitcoin believers.  (Read 3045 times)
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:49:02 PM

Without the opportunity for some to get rich from bitcoin, there is no bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:51:12 PM

You talk for three hours to a reporter and see how they use your words. It's easy to criticize, its FAR harder to actually try and contribute. Please if you wish to put yourself out there and be an active part of the community email me and I'll help you the best I can. Maybe you can do better than I.

THIS. Had my own experience of organizing a festival built around comics and anime, going to great lenghts to point out to the reporters that the point of the festival is to show people that Comics are not only Batman and Superman. They shoot tons of footage. Then they go ahead and talk only about Batman and Superman for the whole time of the report.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:37:46 PM

Without the opportunity for some to get rich from bitcoin, there is no bitcoin.

Do you really think this? Cause you are very wrong.

Greed is a driving force.

Some people are here to use BTC as money/capital and to thus profit. Others just want to fuck over banks.

I currently think greed is the driving force in people joining the bitcoin community, but do you think in the beginning people like Mike Hern, Gavin, Theymos, you think in 2010 they were all here because of greed? The way the question is said it sounds like he thinks if in 2009-2010 no one would become involved without greed, and I feel that is just a bad statement.

Not no one, but man, go back and read the posts form 2009 and 2010. So many people in 2010 bitched about how they missed the money boat!

I often think it would have been so nice if we had invested earlier.  But then people might be saying in a year "I wish we would have invested in 2013!"  I suppose greed does drive some of the growth.  I know that as the prices began to skyrocket I was worried about missing out on the increase and threw some more money in.  Thankfully I have not really lost any money investing in BTC when it all averages out but unfortunately, I lost most of my gains too.  I could cry and walk away or just realize we are still in the early stages of something with great potential and hang on for a wild ride.  I am choosing to do the latter and if I make gains, great.  If I lose all I invested, oh well.  I did not invest more than I could afford to lose so it really is not a big deal.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:42:54 PM

You talk for three hours to a reporter and see how they use your words. It's easy to criticize, its FAR harder to actually try and contribute. Please if you wish to put yourself out there and be an active part of the community email me and I'll help you the best I can. Maybe you can do better than I.

THIS. Had my own experience of organizing a festival built around comics and anime, going to great lenghts to point out to the reporters that the point of the festival is to show people that Comics are not only Batman and Superman. They shoot tons of footage. Then they go ahead and talk only about Batman and Superman for the whole time of the report.

Then, as we can see this weekend, another Superman movie is made and it has record breaking box office sales, even though it is just another Superman movie!  The same story we have seen over and over and over again!  I am with you.  There are so many great comics out there but I guess people like what they are familiar with.  Hence why the growth of BTC is going to be a slow process to become mainstream.

ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:26:09 AM

Then, as we can see this weekend, another Superman movie is made and it has record breaking box office sales, even though it is just another Superman movie!  The same story we have seen over and over and over again!  I am with you.  There are so many great comics out there but I guess people like what they are familiar with.  Hence why the growth of BTC is going to be a slow process to become mainstream.

Our culture pretty much raises people who fear the unfamiliar (neophobes) and like easy definitions and labels.

BTC does have a big advantage over obscure comics, though. People can figure out various ways how using BTC can be advantageous for them. When it comes down to personal profit I find that people often go from being their usual close-minded self to being open to all sorts of ideas  Grin

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:42:00 PM

[When it comes down to personal profit I find that people often go from being their usual close-minded self to being open to all sorts of ideas  Grin

There is hope for Bitcoin then.   Wink

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: