Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:09:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Art contest: win some BTC, shape the visual future of Bitcoin gaming.  (Read 5868 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:32:16 PM

You guys may as well give up, I got this contest in the bag.

Did you crop my bosom?

So why not use Elance ?

Did you read the stuff you quoted? I ask because the answer to your question is contained therein.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:39:42 PM

Spermy wheat in the pic was obviously a reference to resource trade/production, in the spirit of Settlers of Catan, whereby you have people growing trees, mining ore, making bricks, etc etc. These resources can be exchanged with other players, who could then use them to build a shop, or build a bridge to cross a wide river, etc. The player who made the shop can put wares in it, or sell it on the open market (better pay the king's real estate listing fees). The player who built the bridge now has a better trade route, or can set up a toll booth, etc.

The key here is the link between virtual and physical goods, without which the whole thing is another masturbatory reality-escape game. With that link in place, however, you don't need to go dicking around with 3d avatars and polygons and fancy graphics; people would explore a world with these rules if it was drawn by a three-year-old. Look at the free ride Minecraft got on graphics, just because you could build shit.

Obv this has already all been thought of, so it's time for breakfast!

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:43:10 PM

Did you crop my bosom?

Oh, yeah; I couldn't fit the game's glorious title on it with your chest in the way so I had to push it off screen Tongue  Sorry.

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:44:37 PM

So many ideas that you're looking for art direction from a forum full of 14 year olds and currency speculators.

Problem number A, subproblem A1: The forum full of 14 year olds and currency speculators pompously refers to itself as "the community".

Problem number A, subproblem A2: The forum full of 14 year olds and currency speculators (aged 16 and a half) pompously discusses its important contributions to "infrastructure" in terms of, "we are doing a lot of retarded posting and getting more retards to do the same, therefore we matter".

Let's reflect together on the fact that the aggregate contribution of the entire "devteam" over the course of years and including what, up to one hundred idiots has yet to count as a visible fraction of a percent of Satoshi's original creation, which took him a week. Nevertheless these worthless idiots presume to speak as if they're not only vaguely related to but actually representative of Bitcoin. This is scandalous.

Job? I thought this was a big giveaway where people got paid pennies for scribbling in MSPaint?

Problem number 2, subproblem 2a. You have no fucking idea what the words mean. This is because you yourself are one of those 14 year olds you talk down to. The word job denotes generally "a piece of work, especially a specific task". Your printer has a job queue, for instance. That you'd take some particular meaning and run with it on the strength of your inner conviction - context be damned - simply belies deficient literacy in your case.

Problem number 2, subproblem 2b. You have no fucking idea what's going on around you. The thread is what the thread is, not what the idiots interacting with it do. Similarly, a bank loan is what the fine print says, not what the idiots running third mortgages on their houses do. While the tendency of 14 year olds to just follow the crowd is strong with you, that still doesn't change much.

Now pack your great ideas and go. They're not ideas and most importantly they're not yours. It's just shit you've overheard, probably from S.MG people themselves, and misunderstood, because your brain doesn't work properly.

The important part is that they're not idiots; everything else can be learned.

This is true. This also is how we know you're an idiot: instead of learning it you're talking about how it could be learned, preferably by someone else. Not useful. Go learn it, come back next year or w/e.

Oh, yeah; I couldn't fit the game's glorious title on it with your chest in the way so I had to push it off screen Tongue  Sorry.

So it's a case of cut the tit to fit the title, we could say.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Ls777

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 02:46:43 PM

mircea_popescu Hey, I don’t care. People need to understand that you get nothing for nothing.

Rofl, exactly, I don't understand how people can't get this

If you are gonna make a contest, at least offer a decent amount of money for the winner so its worth the risk of spending all that time for potentially no pay
$150 is pennies for something like this. Im poor as fuck and could use the money, but Id rather flip burgers for guaranteed pay.

In contrast, on reddit some guy was doing a contest like this for video submissions, and he got some decent submissions because he offered 5BTC + smaller prizes for 2nd and 3rd place
I entered and won 1st and 2nd -( it was a recurring contest) - so don't accuse me of being afraid to do a little spec work, but the payout at least has to be enticing.

also, im curious, why 2048×1536? thats overkill resolution.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:54:51 PM

random clueless ranting

Read the thread. All your misstated concerns are already addressed therein.

For bonus brownie points, also read the article referenced in the OP, including the respective comments.

Then maybe you have something to say. Currently you do not.

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:02:24 PM

Your printer has a job queue, for instance

And, like my printer, people capable of performing this task are sitting around on idle, waiting to be told what to do? I see!

It's just shit you've overheard, probably from S.MG people themselves

This is as close as I'll get to an acknowledgement, so you're welcome. Now run with it!

instead of learning it you're talking about how it could be learned, preferably by someone else. Not useful. Go learn it, come back next year or w/e.

The mistaken assumption is that I'm interested in this project beyond feeding you the crumbs that will eventually become your game. The other mistaken assumption is that you learn how to make this game before you make it, and then 'come back' and make it, which is so convoluted that I fear you may have missed the point.

Ls777

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 03:05:54 PM

random clueless ranting

Read the thread. All your misstated concerns are already addressed therein.

For bonus brownie points, also read the article referenced in the OP, including the respective comments.

Then maybe you have something to say. Currently you do not.

I read the entire thread and the article, and the comments.
Perhaps you didn't read my post at all? I clearly quoted from your conversation with ThickandTheives. I could go back through all your conversations and posts and pick out the points that you make that I believe are flawed, but then we amusingly have the same situation all over again: a ton of work for potentially no payout, as I doubt you will even stop a second to consider the points I am making, as I did you. How about you address the points made in my previous post instead of writing it off as clueless ranting, and maybe we could have an interesting discussion? humour me.
greyhawk

Activity: 938

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:19:05 PM

a ton of work for potentially no payout,

What ton of work? The ton of work of grabbing whatever medievaly thing you've already done and posting it? That ton of work?

Here. Let me do another. That ton of work took a minute. I had to first remember where exactly I put that photograph.

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:19:55 PM

Is this available for iOS yet?

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:24:45 PM

The other mistaken assumption is that you learn how to make this game before you make it, and then 'come back' and make it, which is so convoluted that I fear you may have missed the point.

We're still discussing making art. There is no discussion of making "the game", nor can there be. So, you wish to contribute anything here, go learn how to draw.

Tho' honestly I'd personally prefer you continue with the posturing; on one hand I've grown to like pissing all over forum retards and on the other since the tortilla goon is gone there's almost a shortage of game.

I read the entire thread and the article, and the comments.

That's good then, in spite of it somehow having what seems like little effect. Consider what you missed out on (as an example):

On IRC, MP said that S.MG will have a bottomless need for more artwork to create their games. If you approach this as a job interview rather than a competition to make a quick buck then you might see the utility of entering an example of your work.

"isn't even hosted on the forum" - I think that should count as a positive

"has very vague directions" - They seem pretty clear to me, you just have alot of leeway within the specifications.

That's the funny thing. Anything "an artist" would have to do is take whatever fantasy-y thing he has in his portfolio, crop it to the requested dimension and - bingo - you've got a valid entry. Then see how things go from there.

Does it suck? Most certainly.

Is it better than anything else posted yet? Absolutely.

Also, to make it perfectly clear: once we're done with the forum dickery and are actually submitting stuff which actually meets the spec we're expected to actually meet the spec. That includes posting a link THERE and including a Bitcoin address. Specifically and underliningly if you post your art here and somebody else takes it and posts it there MP will likely just shrug and pay them rather than you.

greyhawk

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:32:25 PM

Is this available for iOS yet?

No, Apple doesn't accept my Bitcoin IAP. But I'll be releasing this one in 2 weeks BFL-time.

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:40:58 PM

We're still discussing making art.

Well, after a fashion.

Tho' honestly I'd personally prefer you continue with the posturing

It's a busy day, but I'll try to keep up.

Also, to make it perfectly clear: once we're done with the forum dickery and are actually submitting stuff which actually meets the spec we're expected to actually meet the spec. That includes posting a link THERE and including a Bitcoin address. Specifically and underliningly if you post your art here and somebody else takes it and posts it there MP will likely just shrug and pay them rather than you.

Well, I'm nobody's fool. Done and done!

Ls777

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 03:47:10 PM

On IRC, MP said that S.MG will have a bottomless need for more artwork to create their games. If you approach this as a job interview rather than a competition to make a quick buck then you might see the utility of entering an example of your work.

Yes I saw this. My counter point is that this opportunity may not be worth as much as you think it is. You know how many game startups pop up all the time? All asking for spec work, with a promise of additional work? Every single one of these claim that they are an amazing opportunity, and that the artist should be thankful for getting the opportunity to work for them. This is not a new idea or concept, its been treaded down hundreds of times before. What makes your project different from all the other failures? Why should I spend the time doing artwork for you, and not all the startups on every game development forum there is? Time is a limited resource, after all, and the cash payout here isnt that good.

Well, the fact that you have 9k bitcoins allocated for it actually makes it different. Thats Good. You have the chance of actually funding it. So in that case, it looks like this might actually be a good opportunity.

however, already it looks like you are terrible at funding it. You are only allocating about 1BTC to find an artist that is supposedly going to do alot of work on the art of your game. It may have a huge influence on the artstyle as you are planning to use it as a slash screen. Is the art of your game only worth 1BTC to find a good artist? You are only shortchanging yourself. Offer a pot of 3-7btc, get actual quality submissions. That is the only point I am making in my post.

That's the funny thing. Anything "an artist" would have to do is take whatever fantasy-y thing he has in his portfolio, crop it to the requested dimension and - bingo - you've got a valid entry. Then see how things go from there.

I prefer to make things tailored specifically to the project at hand., that way they can license it for whatever they want fully
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:09:52 PM

Somewhat unrelated:

I know of very few artists of the type this contest is asking for who accept Bitcoin.  Makes me wonder if this'll convert a reputable artist into using Bitcoin, or if the few artists here will actually get chosen.  I think zinodaur might be a good pick, but he, xquisit and beefsock are more designers than anything...  Ls is more of a sci-fi artist.  I think there's one more who I haven't seen in a month that drew anime, and a few others who are still very early into art creation.  I bring this up, tho, because it might be easier to see if an established artist will take BTC, than try to lead one into a contest.  Besides the artists I listed, the only one left I'm aware of who is suited to take on a job like this is myself, but if that's going to be the case, I'd feel better being contacted personally.  I dunno, I guess I'll wait and see who enters.

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:18:32 PM

Quote from: nubbins on Today at 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: greyhawk on Today at 03:19:05 PM

Dude the fuck's wrong with the nubbin. Fiddy seconds, seriously?

Ritalin. Urgently. Lots of it.

Here. Let me do another.

Does that thing look particularly phallic or is it me?

Yes I saw this. My counter point is that this opportunity may not be worth as much as you think it is. You know how many game startups pop up all the time? All asking for spec work, with a promise of additional work? Every single one of these claim that they are an amazing opportunity

S.MG is sitting on 8`799.0657479 BTCi after its succesfull IPO last week.

For that matter, the "community", such as it is, consists principally of people who would love nothing more and spend their time doing nothing else than upmanshipping MP. If indeed you contribute usable artwork and nothing comes of it because the project goes to shit you'll be the only guy in this position in the history of Bitcoin. This is what Taaki, Maxwell, the entire host of "finance" wanna-bes and literally everyone else has been trying to do, since forever. This is why CoinSetter is currently buying tweets, this is what CoinLab was trying to achieve paying off some of the press, that's what Pietila was trying with his rushed conference, that's what the London folk were trying with their second "First Bitcoin Conference", that's the long and the short of it: everyone hopes, strives and dreams of the situation where they could say "Ha, I'm bigger than MP". That blessed situation where you did your end and MP came short, to go with the billion times the opposite occured.

So, your dilemma is this: either you get paid and the game works or else you'd have succeeded at the one thing everyone really seeks, and that'd make you a sort of Satoshi-2. It'd be worth more than your wallet, you can probably support yourself consulting for the rest of your life.

What makes your project different from all the other failures? Why should I spend the time doing artwork for you, and not all the startups on every game development forum there is?

S.MG is sitting on 8`799.0657479 BTCi after its succesfull IPO last week.

And you arent offering a good possible payout, other projects can offer more than $150.

By all means, go do that then.

By this reasoning "no coder worth the money is ever going to make an extremely detailed project on the hopes of winning". Except they do. That's what the better coders do, and whenever some coder wants to be hired on a salary the first point in anyone's mind is "so he doesn't think he's good enough to start-up".

Really, it's 2013, time to split the artists from the wanna-bes.

Understand, I don't care what you are. Ideally you care what you are, but if you don't that's also fine, don't expect me to parent you. I'm not your mommy, and you can't blackmail me with "I'll fuck up my future because this pays $150 now".

Well, the fact that you have 9k bitcoins allocated for it actually makes it different. Thats Good. You have the chance of actually funding it.

Chance? No chance. Why chance?

So in that case, it looks like this might actually be a good opportunity.

Yeah, I've been sayin'....

however, already it looks like you are terrible at funding it. You are only allocating about 1BTC to find an artist that is supposedly going to do alot of work on the art of your game. It may have a huge influence on the artstyle as you are planning to use it as a slash screen. Is the art of your game only worth 1BTC to find a good artist?

No. The "artist's" airs are worth nothing at all, so MP is offering something symbolic, a token if you wish. To be perfectly clear, in case any doubt lingers: until and unless you've submitted art you are not an artist. Irrespective of what you might have heard, from parents/girlfriend/that guy you're paying for the purpose, you are not an artist until and unless you deliver.

You are only shortchanging yourself. Offer a pot of 3-7btc, get actual quality submissions.

Hell you paid 10btc when they worth more for people to photochop a rape scene and look at the crap you got.

Apparently your reading is VERY selective. That's not how reading works. And since I'm doing this retarded "let me pick up the bits you've neglected because they don't serve the idiocy you wish to proceed from",

On the other side of the planet, you can't insulate yourself from risks. Being part of a start-up is being part of a start-up, you can't play 9 to 5 office on one end and then cash in like an entrepreneur on the other end. You don't get the benefit of signing your name on tomorrow's megafranchise without putting a lot of your work at risk. Joanne Rowling pitched her book to almost one hundred publishers over years before being accepted, on a very tight contract. You're more than welcome to wait for someone to pay you a generous salary a year in advance and then make you famous, but if you hold your breath for it you'll die. And if you don't hold your breath for it you'll get sick of Ramen sooner or later.

I prefer to make things tailored specifically to the project at hand., that way they can license it for whatever they want fully

You're not that cool yet. In order for you to be that cool you have to first be an artist. You're not an artist, not yet. Are you gonna be one or are you gonna just go the way of that other failure (ie, moltenmich)?

Pick one already.

I know of very few artists of the type this contest is asking for who accept Bitcoin.  Makes me wonder if this'll convert a reputable artist into using Bitcoin, or if the few artists here will actually get chosen.

Once we've established the artist part, I'm sure payment can be arranged in a satisfactory manner. That an artist who doesn't normally take BTC will receive a 1.337 token on top of that to keep in his wallet seems to have little bearing.

Besides the artists I listed, the only one left I'm aware of who is suited to take on a job like this is myself, but if that's going to be the case, I'd feel better being contacted personally.

That's fine and dandy, but if both you and management feel better being contacted personally and simply wait for the other party to do so nothing's gonna happen.

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:47:37 PM

Quote from: nubbins on Today at 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: greyhawk on Today at 03:19:05 PM

Dude the fuck's wrong with the nubbin. Fiddy seconds, seriously?

When we're done discussing the time, can we move onto more pressing topics, like the weather?

until and unless you've submitted art you are not an artist.

That's... not correct.

you are not an artist until and unless you deliver.

That's correct in a general sense. You've removed the distinction that one has to deliver on this project (sorry, job!) in order to be an artist. A professional one, at least. I'd go so far as to say that if you haven't sold anything you've created to a stranger, you're not an artist of any sort of merit.

It's worth mentioning at this point that greyhawk now passes this criteria.

greyhawk

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:56:19 PM

I also won a price for a pencil picture I drew when I was 6, so I passed that criteria long ago.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:02:23 PM

I believe the point being made is, one does not count as an artist in the context of the competition until one submits a piece of artwork; otherwise they're just an onlooker, so to speak.

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:08:44 PM

I also won a price for a pencil picture I drew when I was 6, so I passed that criteria long ago.

Hey, congrats! If you want any prints made of it, let me know. I'll give you the "friend" price Wink

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: