Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:28:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Goliath Miner  (Read 10778 times)
SnitraM

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:42:10 PM

You also realize that apart from the USB Block Erupter things, your cost per GH is the highest of anyone per GH by a factor of more than double (closer to triple)?

BFL is $45 to $55 a GH
Terrahash is $50 to $55
KNC Miner is $20 to $35

So how do you expect to be successful?

I suppose 1 H/s in August is worth 2-3 1 H/s in December... (Or March... Or whenever...)
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:33:19 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 04:56:16 PM by yohan

If the CM4 uses Avalon chips, counting the chips on the drawing I see 40Gh on the board.

Just for the board it is $4800 US which is $120 per GH not including other boards, fans, controllers etc.

So easily $130 per GH?

Is that a fair assessment?

That is a close enough number.

Ok I admire your honesty.

You also realize that apart from the USB Block Erupter things, your cost per GH is the highest of anyone per GH by a factor of more than double (closer to triple)?

BFL is $45 to $55 a GH
Terrahash is $50 to $55
KNC Miner is $20 to $35

So how do you expect to be successful?

The short answer is we don't have to be successful in selling kit as such our own mining activities with these products will make us much more than making and selling hardware. Bitcoin is also not our main business so also a reason not to offer silly prices. No point doing it if we don't make money or worse make a loss. Kit like this does cost more to make than simple small boards and you have the choice to go with what you think works best. What we are doing is simply opening what we are doing it up to other people.

You might disagree but there trends from both Avalon and BFL towards dearer hardware I might suggest that they don't make money making the hardware at the what I will call the silly prices they have been offering. On the surface they are both starting to look more like semiconductor manufacturers than equipment producers. The newer entrants to the market I might suggest that they have not costed things properly and will end up making a loss and ultimate will probably go out of business. It is easy to get caught in the glitz of Bitcoin and not base what you are doing as a business on hard logic and analysis.

You might also ask why Avalon is supposedly mining with equipment before shipping. I would suggest that is so they actual make money and not lose money on equipment sales. Same comment has been made about BFL in the past.

joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:43:32 PM

Well I can't argue with anything you said and it makes sense.

I wish you the best of luck!
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:26:42 PM

Hello yohan. I have sent in an email for order details however un answered sent this morning to both sales and Goliath email and no response form any of them? I know you might have a lot to get through with your projects but just making sure if you have received them?

Look at it this way people for the ones moaning about the price this is around the same as BFL big unit. People saying 225% to 300% more expensive? How is that when 40GH is almost the same price £3,000 for the 63 GH unit plus you get the option to expand on a much larger scale.. First batch of Avalon 1200 or so 2nd batch 1499 batch 3 was 75BTC  around 7 or 8,000 USD if you want to put it into fiat currencies. Ask yourself this? Have they been making this hardware in the past more than likely, have they any proof of making past hardware and providing equipment like enterpoint? Maybe. Does Enterpoint make lies or make delays or ignore your phone calls NO. At least Enterpoint has a nice reception lay who greets you with a warm welcoming introduction asks you what you would like and puts you through to the right person to speak to. I have tried to contact BFL a number of times yes they have the same sort of greeting but they also LIE to their customers. Avalon I never seem to get through to anyone unless am phoning the wrong numbers for them.

BFL have had delay after delay and yes they are starting to ship. The question is tho how long would you be waiting now if you placed an order for a unit 6 to 8 months maybe longer maybe shorter if they get through their 10s of thousands of orders. Would you even get your money back put into their hardware? I like many have had orders with BFL and canceled not to mention all the other scam threads that they have took peoples BTC and ran off with their hard earned cash.

Avalon. They where not trusted in the beginning, however they provided the tech at an affordable price but the problem is, if something goes wrong your Avalon it is a long way to ship back to them and get your equipment fixed if something goes wrong.

The only ones sending stuff out in the past have been Enterpoint, BFL  and a few smaller company's that produced FPGA and to this day still sell FPGA. Yes they are new company's popping up all the time but do they have anything to back their company up well only faith and trust in people and taking a much bigger risk.

Yes their is also a new company knc miner. They are offering big units like Enterpoint their price $ 6,995.00 Then comes shipping then comes import tax and customs plus a big amount of risk, As to most of the above will have the same. I do have some faith in KNC however am very skeptical like many others. I didn't trust Avalon at first and waited for batch 2 to come along. I put orders in for BFL but due to so many problems past and present I  ended up canceling orders and going with Avalon that am still waiting on unit..

Has Enterpoint got a 2 year wasting list NO. Will you make your money back? More than likely if you do research and don't want to make an instant return.

Look at it as a long term and stop thinking GET RICH QUICK TAKE MY MONEY AND GIVE ME A TUN BACK its not gonna happen unless maybe you got in early with Avalon or Bitcoin at the beginning. Some early orders of Avalon yes I will admit they are happy making a bucket of money as they got in early and now setting the grounds for high Diff and same with BFL now bringing out units.

Has Avalon got a 2 year wasting list. NO But look at batch 3 orders they increased the price right up. You could of waited and had placed an order with Enterpoint and you would get your equipment as Batch 3 only just starts to ship out and more than likely have a unit before you get your Batch 3. I know how much everyone loves Avalon for what they have done getting Asic out their in the world before any other company got theirs out and that sure was a team effort to do such amazing things, even I love them to bits. The other questions is tho, are Avalon now going to do a Batch #4 is another question asked and said they where going to do a 4th batch however in the 2013 Bitcoin conference said that this is placed on hold.

How many of you have been looking for a company who is actually taking orders? That is legit and not a scam? Am sure 70% or more would answer yes. How many of you have placed orders for the USB miners that in the long run after a years worth of mining might able to brake even on? Think of how much you just spent on your 10 or more USB miners and think of how much more power you could of got building a rig up bit by bit from Enterpoint and paying for it out of the revenue made from the machine..

Myself like many others have projects and goals for in the distant future and want to provide a business that is built around Bitcoin not just as a miner but to actually provide services to the public with a wide range of different things. Mining is just a hobby for me and will be something to start far grater and bigger projects that will make BTC strong in the future. People need to stop thinking about Bitcoin mining alone and look out side the box at other things you can do with Bitcoin and actually see how big and the potential it has to offer.

I have seen what it has to offer on a larger scale. Mining for me is just a starting point and an interesting hobby to have fun with and at the same time start a business up. Not to have to go to a Bank and ask them for a business loan that has to be paid back. At least with mining you can actually start somewhere and build up on it and make progress. Mining is not for everyone. Even for me at fist it was not for me then I  done a lot more research into it started mining and getting gpus and I got fed up of that not to mention the cost of energy, multi cards, noise, heat and other factors of gpu mining.

With all that has gone on Enterpoint is still a good deal, It is how you look at it and research things before thinking their a total rip off. DO some research into how much others cost and see how many of them have been a scam and how much their now out of pocket.

BFL? Yes their cheap to get started however look at all the problems they currently have would you really risk your BTC or USD with them?

Avalon? Are they going to do any more batches and bring out bigger and faster equipment? Maybe who knows more than likely watch their videos Smiley

KNC? Will they actually deliver on time and have units for people. I honestly do not know. However if they do I will look at maybe ordering once they have got units out their to their customers and start seeing tracking numbers provided and in hand videos from customers.

I know am rambling on here, however am sure some will agree some will disagree. I am just grateful of Enterpoint actually going into the time and effort of actually coming up with this tech and well theirs going to be a few surprises for people that's all am saying and will leave our amazing Yohan and their development team to post the updates of what is about to come in the distant future. I know others reading what am saying here will know exactly what am referring to.

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all the people who put their effort into making this technology possible to bring out to the market,  Avalon, Enterpoint, FPGA company's and Maybe BFL if they can get their act together. And all this wouldn't be possible without their commitment and programming and hardware knowledge.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
joeventura

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:32:11 PM

I don't know where you learned math, but $4800 USD is twice as much as $2400 US

To put it another way, $4800 for 40GH is more than $2400 for 50GH (Price of BFL product)

And I will challenge you that a $4800 order for this 40GH device would be received at the same time as a 50GH device ordered from BFL.
September or October.

Unless you know something that isn't being said.

crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:15:21 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 09:33:46 PM by crazyearner

I don't know where you learned math, but $4800 USD is twice as much as $2400 US

To put it another way, $4800 for 40GH is more than $2400 for 50GH (Price of BFL product)

And I will challenge you that a $4800 order for this 40GH device would be received at the same time as a 50GH device ordered from BFL.
September or October.

Unless you know something that isn't being said.

You might want to read I put GBP pound sterling not US Dollar 3k GBP is about double prices depending on market exchange

BFL = $2,499.00 then you need their shipping on top looking around $3,150 depending on what shipping you select and where you are.

And if you actually read Enterpoint is making shipment in Aug not SEP/Oct so it would beat BFL. GO look at BFL then and wait over a year.  BFL have over 20,000 or more pre orders and still taking orders in. If you think you know so much then game on. Read page 1 of this threa.

Orders for August delivery will need to be placed rapidly to guarantee delivery dates.

Meaning ordering now is securing order and shipment for Aug not a estimated date or no idea with BFL

BFL around $3150
Enterpoint  $6614
So 3104 difference between the 2 maybe 3k difference  so 200% or their about if you are thinking in terms of fiat currencies. However its up to the buyer what to buy when to by and who from. I know I wouldn't place an order with BFL I had 3 orders with them canceled each one of them because they never shipped out and waiting over a year. And theirs a lot more in the q than you think. 20 to 30k people or more and they only sent out maybe 15  to 20 units at most. And a lot of people have done the same iver canceld their BFL order or sold it on.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
joeventura

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:46:32 PM

Its all about timing.

200% is not worth it unless you can deliver in July
crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:06:31 PM

Its all about timing.

200% is not worth it unless you can deliver in July

Only people who are so far ding that is Avalon for batch 2 orders that are still been processed and shipped out then batch 3 and in that time BFL if they send any more units out. And I do not expect any BFL orders to be done in big amounts any time soon.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:45:28 AM

Yohan,

is bitcoin an option for paying CM3/4 boards?

spiccioli
yohan (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:48:48 AM

Yohan,

is bitcoin an option for paying CM3/4 boards?

spiccioli

Yes we are taking Bitcoins.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 08:03:14 AM

Guys we are going to upset a few of you that are keen to go forward with CM3/4 and I apologise on behalf of Enterpoint for that.

We have temporarily lost one of our key Bitcoin team members to illness and this is very likely to impact our timescales. As a result we are not going to progress orders until we have a clearer view of the impact. This won't affect our ability to manufacture directly but there may be delays due to designs being later than planned and that is of course important to you guys. Our main problem area is the Controller software and to a small extent FPGA development as it is tied to when aspects of the software are ready. We do have a backup plan but that doesn't give all the hosting features directly and we feel that is a major loss to the design spec. We are also going to look for external resource to solve the software issue but dropping someone into the hot seat doesn't always work.

It is going to take us a few days before we have a clear view on all of this so please bear with us whilst we sort it out.
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 08:35:52 AM

Lost? my condolences to the team and his/her family.

jlsminingcorp

Activity: 493

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:28:25 AM

Thanks for being up front about this yohan. Good luck finding a solution.

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 09:57:44 AM

Not unless he's a fucking zombie
We have temporarily lost one of our key Bitcoin team members to illness

Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 10:19:10 AM

Not unless he's a fucking zombie
We have temporarily lost one of our key Bitcoin team members to illness

I swear that wasn't there when I posted. It's clearly not a good idea to post anything before I've had my first cup of tea.

jlsminingcorp

Activity: 493

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:35:31 AM

I personally wouldn't have any ethical problems with ASIC manufacturers raising the dead to move their projects along. There must be some parts of the process where a zombie army would come in useful. Zombie labour would be cheap (chuck them a bit of raw meat every now and again) and I don't think they need to sleep, so you could work them 24/7. Would a zombie have the nouse for software development?

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]
Schrankwand

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:40:10 AM

You might disagree but there trends from both Avalon and BFL towards dearer hardware I might suggest that they don't make money making the hardware at the what I will call the silly prices they have been offering. On the surface they are both starting to look more like semiconductor manufacturers than equipment producers. The newer entrants to the market I might suggest that they have not costed things properly and will end up making a loss and ultimate will probably go out of business. It is easy to get caught in the glitz of Bitcoin and not base what you are doing as a business on hard logic and analysis.

Avalon has been in the red with batch 1, since batch 1 had to cover development costs.

As you will see also, most problems with Avalon units did not stem from the chips, but USB controllers, Power supplies and so on. So I guess you are right there.

I have, however talked with a few people on PCB and whether or not the prices by some manufacturers are alright. I was astounded to hear that for example the 100€ price tag for a 20 chip Avalon design without FPGA might be actually covering a 3x markup.

A 3 times markup should be a profitable business venture, if you ask me?!
yohan (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:11:23 PM

Test board for Avalon chips.

Foofighter

Activity: 882
Merit: 547

BTC Mining Hardware, Trading and more

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:47:39 PM

n1, are there also some hashing results?

ex official Canaan Distributor (Cryptouniverse)
yohan (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 07:58:46 AM

n1, are there also some hashing results?

No not yet. This board is really about us testing out communications and results reporting. Also allows us to check out our schematic and pcb symbols and wire up before we build the expensive board. Performance I would expect as the data sheet.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: