Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:25:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets talk hardware wallets...  (Read 3247 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:51:19 PM

So trezor, is now taking pre-orders, and it looks sexy, it is open source and it has a BIP 32 wallet. So I am not married to the device. But should I pre-order it.

I know multibit will support it, but is their a patch for bitcoin-qt that will be released?
Will bitcoind support this? So then I can run a bitcoind for my company and give out addresses without worrying about a hacker.
Will the core developers be officially supporting this device? (Gavin gave it his blessing)
Does anyone know if Armory would be supporting this? I hope armory would support this so then I don't need a whole offline computer just for signing transactions.

Anyone know if I should get this or wait for more competition?

I think Slush is an outstanding member so thank you for developing this much needed tool!
maco

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:04:17 AM

Where can I see the pictures of the hardware wallets?

Its a great idea. Keep up the good work.

So trezor, is now taking pre-orders, and it looks sexy, it is open source and it has a BIP 32 wallet. So I am not married to the device. But should I pre-order it.

I know multibit will support it, but is their a patch for bitcoin-qt that will be released?
Will bitcoind support this? So then I can run a bitcoind for my company and give out addresses without worrying about a hacker.
Will the core developers be officially supporting this device? (Gavin gave it his blessing)
Does anyone know if Armory would be supporting this? I hope armory would support this so then I don't need a whole offline computer just for signing transactions.

Anyone know if I should get this or wait for more competition?

I think Slush is an outstanding member so thank you for developing this much needed tool!
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:41:11 AM

About time there was a dedicated hardware wallet - http://www.bitcointrezor.com/

Bitrated user: Mick.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:01:35 AM

I know multibit will support it
How? Is there any specs of Trezor out there?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:06:53 AM

I like Trezor and I will most likely be ordering a few.

Hardware wallets are needed in order for Bitcoin to get to the next level. Getting the average user to secure their computing environment against malware is a next to impossible task, and hardware wallets circumvent this issue.

I suspect we'll be seeing more projects of similar nature materialize in the coming months.
TeeBone

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:36:15 AM

As a non-techie waiting on the sidelines cuz of security concerns, im very excited about this.

Hope it turns out well, cant wait to buy my first bitcoins !
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:52:00 AM

I know multibit will support it
How? Is there any specs of Trezor out there?

http://www.bitcointrezor.com/#testimonials look at Jim Burton's quote. No specs or information about how to support it, but if you talk to Slush I bet he would allow you to see it, if you could add support to a client or something.

Thanks

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
junglist.massive

Activity: 759
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 10:52:21 AM

looks cool but I think that mobilephones will take a role o wallets in future
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 10:53:16 AM

NFC-Trezor

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 10:55:44 AM

As a non-techie waiting on the sidelines cuz of security concerns, im very excited about this.

Hope it turns out well, cant wait to buy my first bitcoins !

It isn't that bad. Buy your first coins now.
bitcoinchecker

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Provider of Bitcoin products and services

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 10:58:16 AM

That still doesn't eliminate the need for a simple, non-technical way of backing up and storing private keys offline.

I believe future versions of trezor will also be available for mobile use.

I like this product and it is a step in the right direction as far as increasing confidence through better security for users.

Quality Bitcoin T-shirts for sale http://thevillageidiotme.ipage.com/shop.html
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:10:03 AM

To answer the OP's question you should wait because of the following reasons:

- First version of anything is usually buggy. You should wait until this is tested in the wild and subject to abuse by hackers worldwide.
- They intend to open source everything. So expect Chinese clones that cost 1/10th of the price.
- With time there will be better wallet support.

Reasons not to wait are:

- You are an early adopter and want to support this work.
- Impatience. It might take a while before the Chinese get into action and before we have improved software support.
junglist.massive

Activity: 759
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:12:04 AM

maybe you're right but it's another gadget in my pocket
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:44:24 AM

- They intend to open source everything. So expect Chinese clones that cost 1/10th of the price.
Yeah, I'll definitely use a Chinese clone to manage my money

Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:45:50 AM

What do you think is under the hood of the computer you are currently using?
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:53:07 AM

You mean the computer containing my wallet, which is not connected to internet?
I check every transaction it produces, and when I received it it didn't contain any keys.

JimCGSavings

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:03:46 PM

That'd be a cool project for them. The Trezor Smartphone! (grin)
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:11:42 PM

You mean the computer containing my wallet, which is not connected to internet?
I check every transaction it produces, and when I received it it didn't contain any keys.

Whatever man. Trezor is not going to be made in Europe. It too is going to be manufactured in China. In time there will be dozens of reputable companies that will offer this device and prices will go down.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:15:40 PM

How is Trezor safe against protocol changes?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:17:38 PM

How is Trezor safe against protocol changes?
I think its purpose it to sign with an ECDSA private key the data you send to it.
So if the changes are not too deep (like changing the elliptic curve used by bitcoin) it will be ok

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: