Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:58:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful of speading misinformation  (Read 5009 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 12:47:22 AM

People aren't stupid. You lie and it will bite you in the ass. Don't we always argue for openness and transparency?

Just say we don't know shit about who Satoshi is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 12:54:01 AM

People aren't stupid. You lie and it will bite you in the ass. Don't we always argue for openness and transparency?

I think you are overestimating the reaction of people when discovering little white lies.
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 01:23:33 AM

+1

Does anyone have a link to the interview that spawned this thread?
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2010, 01:28:43 AM

+1

Does anyone have a link to the interview that spawned this thread?

I think you'll find if you search on "one radio network bitcoin" or something like that, brucewagner also gave the link, but I'm too lazy to search Smiley

Anonymous

December 20, 2010, 01:53:50 AM

The central banksters have created the biggest lies in human history. Dont start bitcoin down that path , it is different and better than those fraudsters.

Bitcoin is based on the work of world renowned cryptographers. Unless satoshi is actually wei dai .......  Cheesy
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 12:36:14 PM

... because Bitcoin has tremendous value I think it's ok to lie a little...

Because Bitcoin has tremendous value, it's OK to underpromise and overdeliver. It always turns out better that way, in the long run.

If you lie, you only need one prominent journalist to say "I tried it, and it's crap, it doesn't do what they say it does", and the public loses interest.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2010, 02:23:40 PM

Because Bitcoin has tremendous value, it's OK to underpromise and overdeliver. It always turns out better that way, in the long run.

If you lie, you only need one prominent journalist to say "I tried it, and it's crap, it doesn't do what they say it does", and the public loses interest.

Well said!

Trust is Bitcoin's biggest barrier to success.  I don't think there is anything we can do to speed up the process of getting people to trust that bitcoin is solid; it takes time to build trust.  However, there is plenty we could do to lose that trust, including overpromising or misrepresenting what bitcoin can do.

Bitcoin is beta software; nobody should trust it 100%.  Do not invest your life savings in bitcoin-- in fact, do not invest any money you're not willing to lose.  Expect more ponzi schemes and fraud.  Expect irrational valuation bubbles, and, while the bitcoin economy is small, expect people to try to manipulate the bitcoin markets.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 04:42:31 PM

... Unless satoshi is actually wei dai .......  Cheesy

I considered that too. But I looked into Wei Dai's online persona, and he has so many current interests that I don't think he would have time for Bitcoin.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 04:44:54 PM

I considered that too. But I looked into Wei Dai's online persona, and he has so many current interests that I don't think he would have time for Bitcoin.

Maybe that what Wei Dai want YOU to think?  Grin

ribuck
Donator

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 04:46:56 PM

Maybe you're right. But be careful of spreading misinformation.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 05:41:12 PM

Yeah, you are right. I guess I didn't express myself well. I wasn't advocating lying to journalists/mainstream media when I said that, I was thinking more along the lines of getting family/friends with short attention span interested.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 06:34:08 PM

I agree that Wei Dai does not have time.  He is a busy guy since I've tried contacting him last month.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 07:00:55 PM

... because Bitcoin has tremendous value I think it's ok to lie a little...

I am not sure if I agree with this 100%.  Most successful marketing campaigns rely on successful salesmanship and marketing.  It's possible that Bitcoin could be analogous to a "sleeper hit movie" where little or no marketing is required, but those kind of movies are rare (Forrest Gump).  I'd rather do some marketing to increase the chances of Bitcoin becoming adopted.  What I don't want to do is over-promise something and under-deliver.  So, I guess the promises need to be "just right".
Anonymous

December 20, 2010, 09:57:48 PM

Just stick to the facts as you know them then you cant go wrong. Outlandish claims such as bitcoin giving you a cloak of invisibility isnt really helpful.

Smiley

It might be funny to do a project where people actually do make soundbites such as "Bitcoin gets you laid" or "Bitcoin made me regrow my hair" just to poke fun at marketing ideas. Cheesy
baloney

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 09:34:24 AM

You must be thinking of wikileaks. I'm pretty sure bitcoin is all about the opposite of that.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 04:22:37 PM

You must be thinking of wikileaks. I'm pretty sure bitcoin is all about the opposite of that.
Bitcoin isn't open and transparent?  Perhaps you should go over to GitHub and download the source.  Compile it and do a file comparison with the distributed executables.  Take a look at the source and compare it to the documentation.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
just a man

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

Partner of UBER GRAB GOCAR

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 04:29:45 PM

I heard he was born in a mental institution and he sleeps only one hour a night.

10 foot tall I heard, with a shock of hair, red like the fires of hell. And eyes like gimlets.

baloney

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 11:03:16 PM

Bitcoin isn't open and transparent?  Perhaps you should go over to GitHub and download the source.  Compile it and do a file comparison with the distributed executables.  Take a look at the source and compare it to the documentation.
Maybe you think that an anonymous payment network where the developers hide their identity is a good of example of openness and transparency, but I respectfully disagree.
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 31, 2010, 12:41:48 AM

Maybe you think that an anonymous payment network where the developers hide their identity is a good of example of openness and transparency, but I respectfully disagree.

The developers aren't hiding, they just don't wish to be at a disadvantage to everyone else.  What do they know about you?  Even geek fame has it's downside.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
dwdollar

Activity: 202
Merit: 109

GCC - Global cryptocurrency

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2010, 02:07:49 AM

I envision Satoshi as S.R. Hadden from the movie Contact.

Maybe a little less dramatic though. Grin

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: