Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:04:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal: New RPC interface for bitcoind  (Read 1360 times)
QuinnHarris (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:26:21 PM

This is the beginning of a proposal for a new RPC interface for bitcoind to query and receive notifications about the daemon status, block chain or specific transactions.  This is incomplete but I am seeking comments if this is a good idea and worth the effort to implement.

This is intended to address the following issues
  • Allow separating the bitcoin-qt GUI and wallet code from the daemon code

• Allows multiple instances of a modified bitcoin-qt with wallet code (and other clients) to interact with one instance of the daemon.  This is useful for multiple users on the same system or to allow a small set of daemons to be used by other computers on a trusted network.  This also makes it easier for users to run the daemon all the time while running the GUI on demand.
    • Removes all private keys from the daemon process space.  This implementation would allow only having interested public keys (addresses) in the address space of the daemon for a short period of time for the extra paranoid.
  • Provide a robust mechanism to receive updates for anything relevant including new blocks and transactions.
  • Allow receiving all updates relevant to a specific wallet very quickly assuming the bitcoind is trusted by the connecting client.

The current JSON-RPC interface does not provide a mechanism for real time updates or to request specific transactions matching some criteria notably spendable by a certain keys or having a specific scriptPubKey. This proposal is primarily a description of messages between the client and server where the server is bitcoind.  Google protocol buffers will be used here though it would be possible to provide similar functionality with JSON, XML or some other format.  This proposal does not define the exact mechanism for sending these messages. Accordingly it can be integrated as new calls to the existing interface though this proposal does overlap with some of the existing RPC functions and has distinctly different conventions.

This interface allows a client to create, query and get notifications for a context containing a list of public keys, scriptPubKeys or transactions ids the client is interested in.  A context is identified by an arbitrary byte string (should it be fixed or limited length) context identifier that could be derived from the keys in the context.  This allows multiple clients to share the same context.

A single Context message can represent the full state of a context.  A notification Context message contains a subset of a full Context message containing all new data.  The message is structured so all changes can be represented by either updating a fixed field or adding a new message to a repeated field.  An object is removed from a repeated field by adding it to another repeated field that is mutually exclusive from the original.  The same message is also used to specify which aspects of the context the client will need notifications for.  This enables a client to request just the required information for example allowing a client to receive an account balance without receiving the specific transactions.

In addition to client defined contexts each bitcoind will have single Global context containing connected peers, general block chain information or anything else not predicated on something specified by the client.

Code:
service Bitcoin {
  // AddtoContext either creates or updates a context specified by past Context messages.
  // The Context message sent can only contain fields labelled Load below.
  rpc AddtoContext(Context) returns Context;

// Returns a Context message containing all data needed to restore the context without scanning the block chain
  rpc DumpContext(context_id) returns Context;

// Remove all data associated with a context from memory.
  rpc RemoveContext(context_id);

// SetContext specified what fields the client would like notifications for.  Every field that is included in the passed Notification message will be set to receive notifications.  This replaces the current notification set each time called.
  rpc SetNotify(Notification);

// Get the complete context data filtered by SetNotify, commonly called before GetNotifications
  rpc GetContext(context_id) returns Context;

// One mechanism to receive notifications.  Each call would return a Notification message containing all data that has changed since the last call.
  rpc GetNotifications() returns Notification;
}

message Notification {
  optional Global global;
  repeated Context contexts;
}

message Global {
  optional PeerInfo peers;
  optional BlockChain chain;
}

message Context {
  required bytes context_id;

repeated PublicKey keys;
  repeated PublicKey keys_delete;
  repeated scriptPublicKey scripts;
  repeated scriptPublicKey scripts_delete;
  repeated Transaction transactions;
  repeated Transaction transactions_delete;
  // Add more repeated fields for additional transaction criteria

// For setting notifications (SetNotify) the deleted fields are not valid and each item can only be specified once making it equivalent to optional instead of repeated in that case.
}

message PublicKey {
  // All PublicKey messages must contain either a public_key or i if the message is a child of another PublicKey message.
  optional bytes public_key;        // Load, not required if included as child in other PublicKey message
  optional bytes chain_code;      // Load, Specified for BIP 32 addresses

optional int32 i;                        // Load, Specified for BIP 32 addresses

optional int32 i_look_ahead;    // Load, Specified for BIP 32 addresses

repeated PublicKey children;    // Load, Only used for BIP 32 addresses, this field is not accepted to set notifications.

repeated Transaction tx_received;
  repeated Transaction tx_sent;

repeated Transaction tx_received_defunct;
  repeated Transaction tx_sent_defunct;
  // Defunct list is mutually exclusive with regular list of transactions.  If a transaction is made invalid (e.g. double spend) a notification will be sent with that transaction in the defunct list to signify it has been removed from the regular list.

// Contains total balance from all transactions including child transactions
  optional int64 balance;
  optional int64 received;

optional int32 confirmations;  // Minimum confirmations of all transactions including children

optional int32 scan_progress;
}

message scriptPublicKey {
  optional bytes script;
  optional bytes script_hash;

repeated Transaction tx_received;
  repeated Transaction tx_sent;

repeated Transaction tx_received_defunct;
  repeated Transaction tx_sent_defunct;
  // Defunct list is mutually exclusive with regular list of transactions.  If a transaction is made invalid (e.g. double spend) a notification will be sent with that transaction in the defunct list to signify it has been removed from the regular list.

// Contains total balance from all transactions including child transactions
  optional int64 balance;
  optional int64 received;

optional int32 confirmations;  // Minimum confirmations of all transactions including children

optional int32 scan_progress;
}

message Transaction {
  optional bytes raw_transaction;

// Identify transaction
  optional bytes txid;                // Load, used to allow daemon to quickly find relevant transactions when loading context
  optional bytes block_hash;    // Load
  optional int32 transaction_no;  // Load, Transaction location in block

optional int32 confirmations;

optional int64 amount;
  optional int64 fee;
}

message BlockChain {
  optional uint32 height_from_peers;  // Best block height based on response from peers
  optional uint32 backtrack; // Used to fetch a specified number of blocks from the main chain to the current best block
  repeated Block main_chain;
  repeated Block orphaned;
  // main_chain and orphaned is mutually exclusive so adding the same block to one implies it is not included in the other
}

message Block {
  optional bytes raw_block;
  optional uint32 height
  optional byte hash;
  optional byte previous;
  optional byte root;

// More block info
}

message PeerInfo {
  optional int32 count;
  Peer {
    optional bytes address;
    optional int32  services;
    optional int64 lastsend;
    optional int64 lastrecv;
    optional int64 conntime;
    optional int32 version;
    optional string subver;
    optional bool inbound;
    optional int64 releasetime;
    optional int32 startingheight;
    optional int32 banscore;
  }
  repeated Peer peers;
}

Examples

Setup context for a set of keys to match a current wallet implementation

Send the follow message to AddToContext RPC.
Code:
Context: {
  context_id: Unique id for wallet possibly first key in pool
  keys: [{
    public_key: Public key matching wallet private key
  }] // Repeat for each key in the wallet
}

Setup server to send notifications to the client by sending the following message to the NotifyContext RPC.
The presence of any value in a field signifies a notification is desired.
Code:
Notification {
  global: {
    peers: {
      count: 1  // Receive notification anytime the number of peers changes
    }
    chain: {
      height_from_peers: 1  // Receive notification of the expected newest block high in the chain
      main_chain: {
        height: 1  // Receive notification of the newest block height after that new block is accepted
      }
    }
  }
  contexts: [{
    context_id: same context from AddToContext
    keys: [
    {
      public_key: 1  // Include public key so the notification can be identified
      tx_in: {
        raw_transaction: 1  // Send full transaction when its output matches the public_key
        // Could receive notification for other fields describing the transaction.
      }
      tx_out: {
        raw_transaction: 1  // Send full transaction when its input matches the public_key
      }
    }]
}

Typical notification message would look like
Code:
Notification {
    peers: {
      count: 16 // Number of peers changed
    }
  }
    {
      public_key:
      tx_in: [{
        raw_transaction: raw transaction data
      }]
      tx_out: [{
        raw_transaction: raw transaction data
      }]
    }]
  }]
}

Notifications on new best blocks, similar functionality to -blocknotify

Set the following notifications with SetNotify
Code:
Notification {
    blocks: {
        hash: 1     
      }
    }
  }
}

Notifications will be sent like below for each new best block
Code:
Notification {
  global {
    blocks: {
        hash: Best block hash
      }
    }
  }
}

Ecommerce site using Hierarchical Deterministic Wallets without any private keys.  Only needs to know when coins are sent to specific accounts and how many confirmations.

Send the follow message to AddToContext RPC.
Code:
Context: {
  context_id: Unique id for wallet possibly first key in pool
  keys: [{
    public_key: master node key
    chain_code: chain code
    children: [{
      i: 0  // Look at the 0 chain
      i_look_ahead: 0 // Don't look for any other keys at this level
        i: 0  // External Chain by BIP 32
          i: 0
          i_look_ahead: 2
        }]
      }, {
        i: 1  // Internal Chain by BIP 32
          i: 0
          i_look_ahead: 2
        }]
      }]
    }]
  }] // Repeat for each key in the wallet
}
The 0 chain key could have been used in place of the master node key instead of deriving it from the master node key

Set notifications with SetNotify
Code:
Notification {
    keys: {
      i: 1

// We are only interested in the amount received for each key, not the full transactions
      received: 1
      confirmations: 1
    }
  }]
}

Typical notification message would look like
Code:
Notification {
    {
        i: 0  // Internal chain
        received: 100000000  // One bitcoin received.
        confirmations: 0  // New notification will be sent each time confirmations changes
          i: 0 // Transaction on first address on Internal chain
          received: 100000000  // One bitcoin received.
          confirmations: 0
        }]
      }]
    }]
}

bitcoin library
I think it would be advantageous to develop a bitcoin library that uses an interface to the daemon like this in addition to providing tools to manage the private keys either through a local file store or another RPC interface to a private key daemon (TPM secured process, specialized hardware).  Ideally this library would be the preferred interface to bitcoin.

0mq

This could be implemented over 0mq.  It isn't evident to me if there are real world use cases to broadcast (PUB-SUB) notifications for specific contexts (small number of specific transactions).  I see there is a 0mq pull request that publishes blocks, transactions and new host notifications and uses REQ-REP to provide access to the JSON-RPC.  An ideal 0mq implementation would probably be capable of sending the same context notification messages to multiple hosts but would this ever be needed?

My current inclination is to implement this with 0mq and google protocol buffers.  The result would be harder to understand on the wire than something like JSON-RPC but would be a little easier to implement and run faster.  I would expect such an implementation would scale to anything needed.  That said, authentication and encryption would be more important than just about anything offered by 0mq alone and will be a easier with an openssl secured TCP socket just like the current JSON-RPC.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:01:59 PM

Three quick comments:

1) Your proposal doesn't seem to handle chain reorganizations in any way, i.e. negative confirmations (or de-confirmations) of blocks and transactions.

2) Your proposal doesn't solve the most glaring misfeature of the current bitcoind/bitcoin-qt, i.e. inversion of control related to the ThreadSafeAskFee() function.

3) I don't see how your proposal will interoperate with any of the existing distributed transaction coordinators, e.g. Tuxedo, MSFT DTC, just anything really that would allow Bitcoin software to correctly execute three-phase commit protocol.

I'll admit that I haven't throroughly audited your proposal, all I did is just a quick skimming looking for the same problems exhibited in all previous proposals floated here.

Thanks.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
rupy

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:50:28 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 04:44:22 AM by rupy

We definitely need to add a long-poll option to listsinceblock, so it can block if result is empty.

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:00:04 AM

See the zeromq pull request.

A REST interface has also gained interest in some areas.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
QuinnHarris (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:18:58 PM

Is there agreement that ideally a bitcoin daemon handing the public block chain and a bitcoin GUI should have a complete and well defined interface between them that could work over a network and allow different daemon and client implementations to work together?

Is it worthwhile to separate the daemon and GUI part of bitcoin-qt so the daemon operates in one process and the GUI in another and communicate over a well defined interface?  In this case the daemon would not handle private keys in any way, but the GUI would use the interface to observer transactions for specific public keys.

I am especially interested in this because I have recently implemented accepting bitcoins on my website and found the current JSON-RPC interface lacking.  Notably I do not want to store private keys on my web server yet I saw no way to use bitcoind to observe the relevant transactions when they came in short of implementing the bitcoin protocol.  I think a good solution to this problem would be a library with bindings for many languages that connects to bitcoind providing an interface where I can supply a public key and chain code for HD wallets and it will provide new keys in the chain and notification when transactions show up matching these keys.  This library/interface could provide all functionality needed by a bitcoin GUI.  This should significantly reduce the programming effort to implement new software using bitcoin which I think is essential for wide spread adoption for ecommerce in a decentralized way.

I realize BitPay and other services make this process easier which is great but we have an opportunity to make handling bitcoins much easier without relying on a central service.

While I realize this is a significant undertaking I would consider this an important feature.  Is anyone else working on this?  Is there a better approach or a reason this is a bad idea?  Are there other clearly more important features?

I noticed an email on the bitcoin mailing list on 5/16 titled "Modularizing Bitcoin" that seems to suggest something along this lines.
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:40:33 PM

Is there agreement that ideally a bitcoin daemon handing the public block chain and a bitcoin GUI should have a complete and well defined interface between them that could work over a network and allow different daemon and client implementations to work together?

I think there is agreement that is a long term goal for bitcoind, yes.

rupy

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:32:09 AM

Can you explain? Is there a way to add zeromq to bitcoind? Can you add a step-by-step tutorial?

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:59:03 AM

Can you explain? Is there a way to add zeromq to bitcoind? Can you add a step-by-step tutorial?

A pull request is a source code change to bitcoind at https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/   Someone has already written zeromq support for bitcoind.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: