Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:40:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tatsuaki Okamoto = Satoshi Nakamoto?  (Read 20278 times)
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 12:14:38 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2013, 12:59:42 PM by BitcoinFX

Satoshi Nakamoto is unlikely to be one person.

However, Tatsuaki Okamoto was also present at most Financial Cryptography Conferences with Yossi Matias , Daniel A. Nagy and Moti Yung etc.

See my forum post here: Yossi Nagy Moti - Cryptovirology and Bitcoin - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206630.0

Just search for stuff like 'Financial Cryptography' , 'Conference Archives' and add these guys names. They were all there including many possible others. Grin

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 12:28:08 PM

i dont like to be dragged into these identity threads but many have asked me for my input..

so here goes
Tatsuaki Okamoto is not the guy that alongside gavin andressen helped program early bitcoin. due to factors such as Tatsuaki Okamoto is very much american english and the guy gavin spoke to is very much british english.

that being said...

there is nothing stopping a think tank of people before 2009 to have got together and combined their idea's into a final paper. and then combined their names into one pseudonym

maybe the english guy that helped finalise the collectives idea's into a white paper and then progressed it into helping gavin.. was called:

Satsuya(shortened to Sat)

another was called
Nobutaka (shortened to Naka)

another was called
Nobuyoshi (shortened to oshi)

and of course
Tatsuaki Okamoto(shortened to moto)

combining to be sat - oshi naka - moto.

where as i said above. Tatsuaki Okamoto moved onto other things but one of the other 3 that has a british English based understanding went on to continue the work along side gavin.

now thats over with.. can we all try putting in as much effort into expanding bitcoin from a business prospective and use your time productively.

you can spend 20 years finding out who it is.. just for you to meet them and in 3 seconds they say "nope, not me, sorry" and your no where closer to solving the puzzle

Lol you make is sound like satoshi was gavin's side kick.  I dont recall you being around in the early days, but interesting speculation ...
Sergio_Demian_Lerner

Activity: 552
Merit: 629

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 01:47:29 PM

It's completely impossible that Satoshi is kept anonymous forever.

I don't want him to be discovered, but there will always be one thousands guys trying to find who Satoshi is. That's the job of journalists. They won't stop.

Eventually,  in a month, in a year or in five years, someone will find enough evidence to point to some guy or group. It's possible that the NSA already knows, since they have access to much more records than any journalist may have.

So I think we should be prepared to deal with that.

If we don't care who Satoshi is, then Bitcoin will be invincible. If we focus in Bitcoin value proposition, and in Bitcoin's future, then it doesn't matter who Satoshi was.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 03:07:12 PM

Eventually,  in a month, in a year or in five years, someone will find enough evidence to point to some guy or group.

that already happened, multiple times, but those individuals or groups usually deny, so what can they do? it's not official until it's official.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
vnvizow

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 09:44:47 AM

I would rather believe that Satoshi Nakamoto is one of the largest mining hardware selling companies. It would all make sense since he/she/they programmed Bitcoin and would know what's the best hardware and how to build the best hardware. He/she/they could be making million off mining hardware while we are still clueless. Note: the above is just my opinion, if you disagree then disagree......
Chaoskampf

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

order in numbers

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:34:08 PM

Could it just be that we're not as familiar with Japanese names? If Bitcoin was invented by someone (supposedly) named Ethan Hilbert, and then we found someone named Nathan Gilbert who also wrote about cryptographically backed currency, would we make as strong a connection? Might just be a coincidence, coupled with cultural ignorance.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:18:50 PM

Tatsuaki Okamoto is not the guy that alongside gavin andressen helped program early bitcoin. due to factors such as Tatsuaki Okamoto is very much american english and the guy gavin spoke to is very much british english.

When I reviewed the early crypto forum discussions between James A. Donald and Satoshi, I found one instance where Satoshi used American English vernacular. If I remember correctly it was "like" instead of "such as". I probably have the exact quote in my Bitcoin : The Digital Kill Switch thread, but I don't feel like rereading the very long thread to find it.

The military crypto examples Satoshi used caused me think he might have exposure to the NSA culture.

I just don't think normal people can create Bitcoin and not tell any family, friends, and completely hide their tracks. Only agents can do that, i.e. have the discipline to never blurt it or otherwise misstep.

And I don't think Bitcoin was created for our good.

P.S. I no longer think Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme. The link above explains the insoluble problems of Bitcoin.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Trance

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:06:32 AM

Just conjecture, but I've never posted a "who is Satoshi?" thread before. This possibility needed its own thread.

Tatsuaki Okamoto:

http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Author/1002804/tatsuaki-okamoto

Fields: Security & Privacy, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Algorithms & Theory

His intensive use of C++. I've heard said he codes in the style of an 80's/90's coder, though someone could tell me different if they know.

Tatsuaki Okamoto: Computer Science Bibiliography

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.805/articles/money/nsamint/nsamint.htm

MORE THAN ENOUGH EVIDENCE THE NSA WOULD MAKE SOMETHING LIKE BTC

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
melacs

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:29:31 AM

Interesting speculations.

Okay, since some people on here are in need of an Introduction to Japanese Names:

Japanese names are like Western names split into two parts. The last name usually comes first:
Nakamoto and then the given name: Satoshi

The most likely characters for this name are: 中本 智 But these are not the only possibilities. The reversed order would suggest that the person is not living in Japan. It is interesting that it is a combination with only three characters. Most Japanese names have four. The character for Satoshi is not a simple character, which would suggest a decent knowledge of Japanese or of course they just took the first name of the creator of pokemon Tongue. There are about 42500 people in Japan called Nakamoto. It is the 490th most common last name. It is very likely some of them are even called Satoshi.

Is there like a bounty for finding him ? (other than possibly blackmailing him if we wants to remain anonymous)
(I know it is most likely not one person, but maybe there was one central figure)
jellies

Activity: 33

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:44:03 AM

these are his first posts yes?

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=bitcoin-list&max_rows=25&style=nested&viewmonth=200901

From reading them he doesn't strike me as Japanese born, the english is way too smooth unless perhaps he had one western parent. I know a lot of Japanese including plenty that have spent decades living and working in the west, all of them give themselves away with a few paragraphs of spoken or written text.

What was his email back then? Satoshi@vi.. viwhat?

also this was news to me but what do I know

"For now, you can just multiply the total blocks by 50.  The Bitcoin network has been running for almost a year now.  The design and coding started in 2007."

the way he writes that sounds very much how you'd write it if you were heading a group, one that only went public one to two years after getting the basics working.

Also given that he spells "realize" and so on with a Z, his style is firmly american english not british english.
Amechan

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

Spreading Bitcoin love

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:34:38 AM

these are his first posts yes?

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=bitcoin-list&max_rows=25&style=nested&viewmonth=200901

From reading them he doesn't strike me as Japanese born, the english is way too smooth unless perhaps he had one western parent. I know a lot of Japanese including plenty that have spent decades living and working in the west, all of them give themselves away with a few paragraphs of spoken or written text.

What was his email back then? Satoshi@vi.. viwhat?

also this was news to me but what do I know

"For now, you can just multiply the total blocks by 50.  The Bitcoin network has been running for almost a year now.  The design and coding started in 2007."

the way he writes that sounds very much how you'd write it if you were heading a group, one that only went public one to two years after getting the basics working.

Also given that he spells "realize" and so on with a Z, his style is firmly american english not british english.

As a resident of Japan who speaks to non native English professionals in many fields everyday, it is my opinion that whomever wrote the messages in the link above is either a native English speaker or has spend the vast majority of their life in an English speaking country. From the above link I didn't see any clear indication as to which country though.

jellies

Activity: 33

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:56:22 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2013, 07:53:02 AM by jellies

shrug, I did read through all this posts not just one or two.

I'd be willing to bet money he is not from the pink parts of the globe let alone non english speaking countries. I'd put money on Satoshi being american. If the post time stamps are not muddled up his posting was also consistent with a north american time zone.

So much for this bet, there was one thing that niggled me. In one post he writes something or other is "bloody hard". That is almost exclusively something a brit would say in a moment of frustration. Also the forum timestamps in UTC are more consistent with a UK resident who sometimes works early in the morning, but mostly in the afternoon, than american. He typed "realize" etc to blend in with the majority of his audience.
melacs

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 06:15:57 AM

As a resident of Japan who speaks to non native English professionals in many fields everyday, it is my opinion that whomever wrote the messages in the link above is either a native English speaker or has spend the vast majority of their life in an English speaking country. From the above link I didn't see any clear indication as to which country though.
Yes, you are right. The US would be most probable. Second would be Northern Europe (a lot of native British-Australian-...) have certain language usage that would be dead giveaways. Then third Britain and colonies.

I have a strong hunch, but don't know what to do with it. I don't want to end up like Nelson and some others. Spewed out by the community as a weirdo as the person in question denies it. Cheesy
Herp

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:34:35 AM

Check out the references at the bottom of this paper http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.805/articles/money/nsamint/nsamint.htm

7. Tony Eng and Tatsuaki Okamoto, Single-Term Divisible Electronic Coins, Advances in Cryptology EUROCRYPT '94, Springer-Verlag, pp. 311-323.

11. Tatsuaki Okamoto, An Efficient Divisible Electronic Cash Scheme, Advances in Cryptology - CRYPTO '95, Springer-Verlag, pp. 438-451.

12. Tatsuaki Okamoto and Kazuo Ohta, Universal Electronic Cash, Advances in Cryptology - CRYPTO '91, Springer-Verlag, pp. 324-337.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:52:17 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2014, 05:51:07 PM by StewartJ

I think the burning question, aside from who "He" is, did this guy ever get to stash a nice pre-mine of Bitcoins for himself??

(Well deserved, of course)
qualia8

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:59:59 PM

Can we PLEASE stop with these threads???   It's 99% likely in my opinion that Satoshi is still on this forum under a different name or names.  It's also highly likely that if people ever found out who Satoshi REALLY is/was there would be major ideological splits which could only be bad for the future of btc.

Satoshi is Atlas (or whatever Atlas goes by now)
Satoshi is Matthew N. Wright....
Satoshi is Theymos....
Satoshi is BitRebel....
Satoshi is me and Satoshi is you, Satoshi is all of us - and it's better left that way

Peace, love, bitcoin and all that jazz lol

I am Spartacus... um, I mean Satoshi.
cristobal

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:12:05 PM

sorry I'm just curious, is it really important we know who satoshi is? Even if someone did know with absolute certainty, who he is... Would he/she even reveal him/her to the world?
I think the recent events at Mt.Gox and the flaws exploited in Bitcoin, have proved this sentiment wrong.  I've already heard from people accusing the creators of bitcoin of using the transaction malleability flaw to steal millions.  I think it's highly unlikely, but for the general public who are somewhat suspicious of Bitcoin in the first place- the inability to deny this possibility has made Bitcoin untrustable.  I think it could eventually lead to the downfall of Bitcoin (hello Litecoin!).  The value of cryptocurrencies is based on trust, and that trust is very limited when the creator(s) are anonymous.
EvilAxist

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:22:04 PM

Can we PLEASE stop with these threads???   It's 99% likely in my opinion that Satoshi is still on this forum under a different name or names.  It's also highly likely that if people ever found out who Satoshi REALLY is/was there would be major ideological splits which could only be bad for the future of btc.

Satoshi is Atlas (or whatever Atlas goes by now)
Satoshi is Matthew N. Wright....
Satoshi is Theymos....
Satoshi is BitRebel....
Satoshi is me and Satoshi is you, Satoshi is all of us - and it's better left that way

Peace, love, bitcoin and all that jazz lol

I am Spartacus... um, I mean Satoshi.

this
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:16:33 AM

*bump*
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:03:15 AM

with all the cia/nsa talks.. i thought i should give this a bump for those who haven't seen it.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: