Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:53:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-15 Google's Project Loon explores balloon-powered Internet access  (Read 1272 times)
btceic (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 11:54:36 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 01:03:24 AM by btceic

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/15/us-google-balloons-idUSBRE95E0K620130615

(Reuters) - Google Inc has launched a small network of balloons over the Southern Hemisphere in an experiment it hopes could bring reliable Internet access to the world's most remote regions, the company said late Friday.

The pilot program, Project Loon, took off this month from New Zealand's South Island, using solar-powered, high-altitude balloons that ride the wind about 12.5 miles - twice as high as airplanes - above the ground, Google said.

Like the Internet search engine for which Google is best known, Project Loon uses algorithms to determine where the balloons need to go, then moves them into winds blowing in the desired direction, the company said.

By moving with the wind, the balloons form a network of airborne hot spots that can deliver Internet access over a broad area at speeds comparable to 3G using open radio frequency bands, Google said.

To connect to the balloon network, a special Internet antenna is attached to buildings below.

The Mountain View, Calif-based company announced the project on its official blog here, and its website www.google.com/loon/.

The 30 balloons deployed in New Zealand this month will beam Internet to a small group of pilot testers and be used to refine the technology and shape the next phase of Project Loon, Google said.

Google did not say what it was spending on the pilot project or how much a global network of balloons might cost.

Google has also developed self-driving vehicles, which the company says could significantly increase driving safety.

Those vehicles are beginning to gain support from lawmakers in places like California, where a bill legalizing their operation on state roads was signed into law last by Governor Jerry Brown.

(Reporting by James B. Kelleher; editing by Gunna Dickson)

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitfair

Activity: 362

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:29:28 AM

I may be a little slow, but what on earth did that have to do with Bitcoin???
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:38:01 AM

How about a floating p2p exchange for starters.

floating bitcoind nodes

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
bitfair

Activity: 362

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:48:43 AM

How about a floating p2p exchange for starters.

floating bitcoind nodes

Huh

I read the article quite closely, and I'm quite sure there was absolutely no mention of that in the article. I couldn't find any direct or indirect reference to Bitcoin at all, actually.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:47:36 AM

Didn't you notice the date? New Zealand's version of April Fools Day is June 15. It is even called Loonie Day.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:35:20 AM

And in other news....The price of tea in China is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_that_got_to_do_with_the...%3F
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:40:55 AM

And in other news....The price of tea in China is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_that_got_to_do_with_the...%3F

next thing you know thepiratebay will be hosting their website on the ocean floor using sonar technology.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 11:26:27 AM

You guys have no imagination...

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:29:21 PM

You guys have no imagination...

Bummer, I thought this was gonna be a fun conversation starter....

So it's official that this is an April Fools joke?  Or should I say a Loonie joke?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:42:13 PM

http://www.google.com/loon/
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:26:18 AM

That's no joke. When they say specific things like this:
Project Loon currently uses ISM bands (specifically 2.4 and 5.8 GHz bands)
and have forms for your community leadership to fill out to see if google can work with your town, then clearly there is more than a joke afoot here.

It's also not impossible tech, like their typical April fools jokes usually are.

About the suitability of this thread; I have imagination and would LOVE to see this tech paired with Meshnet.

However, this is a press thread for press about bitcoin. As cool as this is, it isn't that at all.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:47:29 AM

Awesome stuff! 

However, this is one more step towards having the eye in the sky...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:49:17 PM

I think its very relevant to bitcoin - an internet currency - when a project that can provide wireless to nearly anywhere on the globe is being developed. You realize these things ride on air currents? And they're working on how to steer using the opposing jets at different altitudes?

Even if it doesn't have bitcoin in the text, it still is interesting to me - thanks for posting it.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:48:54 PM

I think its very relevant to bitcoin - an internet currency - when a project that can provide wireless to nearly anywhere on the globe is being developed. You realize these things ride on air currents? And they're working on how to steer using the opposing jets at different altitudes?

Even if it doesn't have bitcoin in the text, it still is interesting to me - thanks for posting it.

Thanks, finally, someone who can see!

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:53:12 PM

Thanks, finally, someone who can see!
So if it's related to internet deployment, it's related to bitcoin? Next time google fiber deploys to a new city, I'll be sure to post in the press section.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:12:37 PM

so google becomes an ISP, first in the 3rd world countries, later everywhere.

they'll know everything, they'll become skynet, quite literally.

end-to-end encryption might help, but they'll probably be able to block "unknown" encrypted traffic.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:22:49 PM

so google becomes an ISP, first in the 3rd world countries, later everywhere.

they'll know everything, they'll become skynet, quite literally.

end-to-end encryption might help, but they'll probably be able to block "unknown" encrypted traffic.
Well, what's really interesting about this is that once they develop the tech and prove the system works, then WE will be able to duplicate the project and make an open-source balloon array for free worldwide Meshnet... Completely replacing the current internet.

...Where bitcoin will reign supreme.

One little problem tho: Governments can shoot down balloons. Sad

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:48:17 AM

So if it's related to internet deployment, it's related to bitcoin? Next time google fiber deploys to a new city, I'll be sure to post in the press section.

No my myopic friend - because it can be adapted to a wireless meshnet that doesn't rely on Google being a gatekeeper. The implications are obvious.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:56:31 AM

Reported for being unrelated to bitcoin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: