Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:49:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What exactly is the reason bitcoin processes transactions so slowly?  (Read 3242 times)
torba (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:15:31 AM

Slowly as in not comparable to say the transaction speeds you can accomplish with a credit card.
I've been searching for answer to this. Is there a specific component like network propagation that severely effects processing time?
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:19:20 AM

Slowly as in not comparable to say the transaction speeds you can accomplish with a credit card.
I've been searching for answer to this. Is there a specific component like network propagation that severely effects processing time?

encryption

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:23:16 AM

Miners need to include the transaction in a block to confirm it. It takes times and processing power to find a 'block'. Average time between block is about 10 minutes.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Blocks

If you don't wait for any confirmation then the transaction is almost instant but is unsafe since it could be a double-spend. No confirmation transaction speed depend on network propagation.
r3wt

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:29:33 AM

Miners need to include the transaction in a block to confirm it. It takes times and processing power to find a 'block'.

If you don't wait for any confirmation then the transaction is almost instant but is unsafe since it could be a double-spend. No confirmation transaction speed depend on network propagation.

I wonder how credit card companies/banks avoid that issue

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
torba (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:30:29 AM

Miners need to include the transaction in a block to confirm it. It takes times and processing power to find a 'block'.

Centralization Sad
r3wt

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:32:36 AM

Centralization Sad

yeah, what i figured. i guess decentralization is a double edged sword. on the one hand no one can manipulate your balance(atleast not as easily) and steal your money, but on the otherhand it gives rise to the known security issues(such as double spend, and hackers trying to root your box and steal your shit)

coinedBit

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:33:00 AM

Centralized serialization through atomic transactions.
01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:33:00 AM

Bitcoin is a trust-less decentralised network. Each client is responsible to verify the validity of each transaction.

CC company and bank are centralised entity. Each client rely on the CC/Bank to verify that the transaction is legitimate. The centralised nature of the network make it faster.
r3wt

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:34:06 AM

Bitcoin is a trust-less decentralised network. Each client is responsible to verify the validity of each transaction.

CC company and bank are centralised entity. Each client rely on the CC/Bank to verify that the transaction is legitimate. The centralised nature of the network make it faster.
oh thanks

r3wt

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:34:51 AM

encryption

No. It is not because of encryption.

It is slower because a credit card transaction is sent to a central payment processor. Bitcoin's design purposely avoids having a central payment processor. There are several benefits, but the trade-off is that it takes longer to validate a transaction.

In the future, there will probably be services built on top of bitcoin that will enable nearly instant validation of transactions.

oh ok. makes sense. and yeah, i could totall see that happening.

01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:35:22 AM

Centralization Sad

yeah, what i figured. i guess decentralization is a double edged sword. on the one hand no one can manipulate your balance(atleast not as easily) and steal your money, but on the otherhand it gives rise to the known security issues(such as double spend, and hackers trying to root your box and steal your shit)
Centralized system get hacked very often. The company usually pay for the theft but ultimately it's the client that pay the bill via higher fees.
torba (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:36:12 AM

encryption

It is slower because a credit card transaction is sent to a central payment processor. Bitcoin's design purposely avoids having a central payment processor. There are several benefits, but the trade-off is that it takes longer to validate a transaction.

In the future, there will probably be services built on top of bitcoin that will enable nearly instant validation of transactions.
"Services that enable instant validation", thats a really really interesting idea.
01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:37:50 AM

Instant validation are already implemented via green address: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Green_address
r3wt

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:38:18 AM

encryption

"Services that enable instant validation", thats a really really interesting idea.

hell yeah it is. and in my opinion it will be services like that as well as simplified ease of mining and easy to use clients with short address support that will bring bitcoin into mainstream. the ease of use factor severely limits bitcoins. only nerds have heard of bitcoin.

r3wt

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:45:41 AM

Instant validation are already implemented via green address: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Green_address

ok, i hate to burst your bubble but  the point you just tried to make is a non point, in my opinion. Green Addresses offer zero security. Instead the type of service that ultimately wins out will become the frontend to the bitcoin world, while the miners and client as we know them will end up being the underlying support. what i'm talking about is say they call this new client e-dollars or something.

Person A logs into his e-dollar account and sends 5 dollars and hits send.

this info is sent to a bitcoin server that converts the 5 dollars into a btc amount and checks if there is enough funds in the account, and if so transfers the bitcoin amount from Person As Bitcoin Address to the Address of a second person, Person B.

A success code is relayed to Person A's client, telling him the transfer was a success and docking his account 5 dollars.

A payment code is sent to Person B's e-dollar client. 

Person B's e-dollar client accepts the payment and his balance is updated

oatmo

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:49:42 PM

Litecoin generates blocks 4x as fast as bitcoin. If you want faster confirmations, just use litecoin.

Oatmo
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:11:20 PM

Litecoin generates blocks 4x as fast as bitcoin. If you want faster confirmations, just use litecoin.

Oatmo
Are you kidding or do you have no idea how bitcoin and copycats work?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:26:27 PM

I think we need an FAQ for this. Everything said so far in this thread is wrong.

Credit card transactions do not settle instantly. They clear (usually) weekly and can be reversed months later. What happens when you "pay" is simply that the merchant records an IOU. It takes a long time for the money to actually show up in their bank account.

You can accept a Bitcoin transaction instantly (unconfirmed) and it is dramatically safer than a credit card payment, regardless of what you may see claimed elsewhere on this forum.

Bitcoin clears payments faster than any other financial system I'm aware of except cash by orders of magnitude, and I do not anticipate that changing any time soon.
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 07:29:38 PM

The main factor is decentralization.
You cannot have both; decentralization and quick judgement on who is trying to double spend.
If you choose to go for the quick judgement way, then you will end up in hell. Where you come from, so no worries here. Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
Peter Lambert

Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:34:18 PM

There are two things going on, the transaction must propagate through the network, and the transaction must be confirmed as valid. Both credit card and bitcoin transactions propagate almost instantly. For small purchases it could be acceptable to complete the transaction as soon as the bitcoins are seen with 0 confirmations. That is what credit card users do as well.

Bitcoins are confirmed when you get to the number of blocks you deem necessary, most places use 6 confirms, but I have seen 3 or 9 as well. Credit Cards, on the other hand, take much longer to fully confirm; the transaction can be reversed weeks later by the credit card company.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: