Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:27:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Avalon mining with customer hardware? Answer is here.  (Read 44348 times)
Wayne_Chang

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:05:46 PM

Somebody said that before they ship they will give you a call to confirm your address if you are in China. But till now I received nothing. No inform mail, no tracking# and no phone call.
pikeadz

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:10:14 PM

Also just checking http://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate there has been a massive drop in hash rate.

Would someone care to explain this?

Approximately half is due to AM.  The rest can be attributed to variance.

http://www.asicminercharts.com/
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:16:49 PM

I haven't been following the AM threads (as I am not a shareholder). 

Did FriedCat provide an explanation as to why AM cut 1/2 their hash rate since the last difficulty readjust (not that I am complaining!)?
rovchris

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:19:04 PM

Also just checking http://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate there has been a massive drop in hash rate.

Thanks for that it does clear things up.

But then what the hell are ASICMiner doing - this is a perfect example of why the network needs to be decentralised.

Is this a new form of attack to squeeze out the smaller players? Increase the difficulty to such a point and then reduce hashrate to dramatically increase the time between difficulty adjustments. Hence making it impossible to pay the costs.

A similar thing was done to Bytecoins and it destroyed it - plus it was shite anyway but the fact still stands.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
Wayne_Chang

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:19:27 PM

I haven't been following the AM threads (as I am not a shareholder).  

Did FriedCat provide an explanation as to why AM cut 1/2 their hash rate since the last difficulty readjust (not that I am complaining!)?
Is it possible that they met insufficient power supply issue because of high temperature in south China?
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:22:50 PM

open a ticket and pick the trouble type as REFUND.

support.avalon-asic.com

This is actually cool.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Loredo

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:32:56 PM

But then what the hell are ASICMiner doing - this is a perfect example of why the network needs to be decentralised.

Is this a new form of attack to squeeze out the smaller players? Increase the difficulty to such a point and then reduce hashrate to dramatically increase the time between difficulty adjustments. Hence making it impossible to pay the costs.

A similar thing was done to Bytecoins and it destroyed it - plus it was shite anyway but the fact still stands.
I'm not an apologist for BitcoinEdison, but there isn't any way to know if their reduction caused the network drop itself, or if their reduction was in response to other capacity moving offline, leading them to cut back to maintain their [1/6 ... 1/4] of total network hash rate level?
rovchris

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:36:37 PM

I'm not an apologist for BitcoinEdison, but there isn't any way to know if their reduction caused the network drop itself, or if their reduction was in response to other capacity moving offline, leading them to cut back to maintain their [1/6 ... 1/4] of total network hash rate level?

"I'm not an apologist for BitcoinEdison",  Smiley That was a good one.

It just shows though they have far to much influence on something that was supposed to be decentralised. Either way this is not a good omen for Bitcoins if I am honest.

If there was a fire in the Data Centre where they are hosting and all the equipment was destroyed it would have a massive impact on the amount of time transactions take to process.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:39:46 PM

Somebody said that before they ship they will give you a call to confirm your address if you are in China. But till now I received nothing. No inform mail, no tracking# and no phone call.

Maybe is best to file a support ticket with your details  Smiley
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 02:54:23 PM

FUD everywhere by people who can't do math.

1. these are not batch #1,2 or 3 units.
2. all the openWRT firmware is burnt from a single image in batches,
3. the openWRT is used in more than just production units.
4. all burn-in is 24 or more hours, you all think we seriously only would have 700+ bitcoins if they were mining? LOL
        I can't believe I'm repeating myself by saying we are not mining with batch #2 or #3 units.
5. complains will just lead into refunds, since clearly people are not happy with Avalon ASIC.
        personally I'd love to issue these refunds so these people can go find the next thing to complain about and I can get some peace n quiet.
6. I'm going back to deal with trade-in and damaged orders.

Asked and answered... next problem please.

What does this have to do with math?  FUD doesn't necessarily apply here either, since there is no obvious connection to the OP and any competing company.
1.  People say a lot of things, this isn't necessarily proof, so please stop acting like we are idiots because we don't take your word.  It's failed us plenty.  Proof?
2.  Very reasonable and believable, sometimes when people say things there is logic behind it that makes it easy to believe.
3.  "
4.  Again this is just on your say so.  However people have been wanting to hear this, so I'm sure many will find this comforting.  You might need to put someone on part time media control, just so you can keep up with these types of discussions.  It's very reasonable for people to start questioning when things don't go as planned.
5.  This is horrible business practice and should be stopped by any company that cares to maintain the respect of the consumer base.
6.  Awesome, hope some press releases make it out into a wide enough audience that you don't need to constantly waste your time with us.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 02:56:26 PM

Approximately half is due to AM.  The rest can be attributed to variance.

Can you spell 500 Ghash ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237710.0;topicseen

Are these some of the fpgas the miners were conned into trading away ?

rovchris

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:00:48 PM

Yes I can Five Hundred Gigahashes. Not really sure what point you are making.

How is the mining going at BTCMine? Enjoying your 10 day stint for 0.1 bitcoins?

Loredo

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:06:09 PM

It just shows though they have far to much influence on something that was supposed to be decentralised.
It also indicates why the stepwise linearity of difficulty is a far less important metric when massive swings in network capacity can and do happen, and how the centralized operations can and will game that.

For example, right after a diff. reset, a big operator can bring a chunk of capacity online and jump BpH up to around 8 or more.  In fact,the marginal small unit isn't going to contribute in that enhanced bounty, only the centralized power is mathematically positioned to extract that "bonus."

Gaming abounds.  With regard to this network drop, though, something happened somewhere, I don't think there's any question, and that goes right to the point you made.

rovchris

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:22:53 PM

It just shows though they have far to much influence on something that was supposed to be decentralised.
It also indicates why the stepwise linearity of difficulty is a far less important metric when massive swings in network capacity can and do happen, and how the centralized operations can and will game that.

For example, right after a diff. reset, a big operator can bring a chunk of capacity online and jump BpH up to around 8 or more.  In fact,the marginal small unit isn't going to contribute in that enhanced bounty, only the centralized power is mathematically positioned to extract that "bonus."

Gaming abounds.  With regard to this network drop, though, something happened somewhere, I don't think there's any question, and that goes right to the point you made.

I am glad to see I am not the only one with concerns.

To me the writing is already on the wall I am sorry to say - this is a fatal flaw with Bitcoins and will come to fruition.

All anyone would has to do is take down a couple of the big players and that's it - everything will grind to a halt. Happens continuously with the alt currencies.

ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:37:38 PM

To me the writing is already on the wall I am sorry to say - this is a fatal flaw with Bitcoins and will come to fruition.

All anyone would has to do is take down a couple of the big players and that's it - everything will grind to a halt. Happens continuously with the alt currencies.

I wonder if the technical solution is to set the difficulty based on the previous 1,600 or so blocks at the time the mining is performed. 

I try to be respectful and informed.
rovchris

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:45:02 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 04:19:10 PM by rovchris

I wonder if the technical solution is to set the difficulty based on the previous 1,600 or so blocks at the time the mining is performed.  

One idea could be - instead of changing the difficulty just change reward - leave the difficulty at a fixed level so you can always mine solo, and make it fully resistant to ASIC's by using a random algorithm for encryption (no idea how this would work but it needs some element of randomness which will make ASIC development impossible)

The key elements are this - anyone should be able to buy the hardware next day / same day (this will stop the likes of ASIC miner grabbing such a large share because of proprietary technology)  - It will only run on off the shelf hardware. Discourage mining pools by removing the difficulty issue which is the only reason people join mining pools.

The reward should trade places with difficulty so only a set number of coins are produced in the given period.

This is the only way to discourage centralisation of coin generation and transaction processing. Its the difficulty changes that have created this problem - and it is only getting worse - even with 200ghs you are looking at between 10 and 30 days to solve one block. That is monster no one can do that solo.

On Slush's pool one round was 90 million shares - that is just insane.

I imagine there is going to be a cull of the smaller mining pools in the very near future as they are now taking too long to make payouts which will then further centralise the coin generation.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:52:15 PM

How is the mining going at BTCMine? Enjoying your 10 day stint for 0.1 bitcoins?

umm.. BFL rigs = network hashrate flux

WTF does the pool I'm at have to do with this ? Get a better calculator and stop trying to distract others from the matters at hand.

Regardless my 1.4 ghash earns, I was having a freaking blast, even during this dry spell, thanks to having the peace of mind knowing that ITS AN HONEST 10 DAYS PAY. I say 'was' because these revelations have made the plot to centralize Bitcoin and rip off the miners, BLATANTLEY CLEAR.

For you or ANYONE to justify any company's burnin policy, implies of a conflict of interest. THEY MINED BTC WITH THE MINER'S PRE PAID PROPERTY. THEY, WHO EVER THEY ARE MUST BE HELD TO ACCOUNT.

As a show of solidarity to all those who have be taken advantage of, I'll will be taking the rest of my 2.2 ghash offline, when the current round is completed.

WE ARE THE 75% !! Soon to be 99%. :/

KS

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:21:09 PM

The reward should trade places with difficulty so only a set number of coins are produced in the given period.

That's what's currently happening. The difficulty is no about difficulty, it's a ratio of the hashrate and block discovery time (difficulty = hashrate/(2⁴⁸ - 65535)), it ensures you only get x number of coins every 10 mins, re-evaluated every 2016 blocks.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 05:28:31 PM

For example, right after a diff. reset, a big operator can bring a chunk of capacity online and jump BpH up to around 8 or more.  In fact,the marginal small unit isn't going to contribute in that enhanced bounty, only the centralized power is mathematically positioned to extract that "bonus."

Gaming abounds.  With regard to this network drop, though, something happened somewhere, I don't think there's any question, and that goes right to the point you made.

Terracoin and others have been on that ride for weeks and likely months.

rovchris

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 06:12:46 PM

umm.. BFL rigs = network hashrate flux

WTF does the pool I'm at have to do with this ? Get a better calculator and stop trying to distract others from the matters at hand.

Regardless my 1.4 ghash earns, I was having a freaking blast, even during this dry spell, thanks to having the peace of mind knowing that ITS AN HONEST 10 DAYS PAY. I say 'was' because these revelations have made the plot to centralize Bitcoin and rip off the miners, BLATANTLEY CLEAR.

For you or ANYONE to justify any company's burnin policy, implies of a conflict of interest. THEY MINED BTC WITH THE MINER'S PRE PAID PROPERTY. THEY, WHO EVER THEY ARE MUST BE HELD TO ACCOUNT.

As a show of solidarity to all those who have be taken advantage of, I'll will be taking the rest of my 2.2 ghash offline, when the current round is completed.

WE ARE THE 75% !! Soon to be 99%. :/

Well you felt the need to act like a tool with your comment of can I spell - you get treated like one.

And to further the matter you have just made yourself look like rather idiotic. You obviously have not read any of my posts as I was the one ARGUING that using customers equipment to mine is unacceptable.

Man don't just steam roller in mouthing off like a cretin without reading the thread. Only one outcome you look dumb.

As someone else pointed out the fluctuation was due to ASICMiner nothing to do with a couple of 500ghs BFL units - as the change was huge but unsurprisingly you did not bother to check that either.

Also using the same username across multiple sites is not clever either as you can be easily identified.                                                                                                                                                                         

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: