Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:55:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else get busted by the cops for "suspicious" energy consumption!  (Read 19379 times)
AreYouCereal (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:36:01 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2011, 01:25:44 PM by AreYouCereal

Wow!

Just got a message form the buddy of mine who got me into bitcoin saying last night he woke up to his front door being busted in by DEA and cops with a warrant to search his house on suspicion of it being a massive pot-growing operation Shocked Shocked

Apparently the first thing that triggered their suspicion was the sharp increase in electricity consumption, they then did a fly over thermal scan which picked up a higher than normal heat signature coming from his utility room.
Last time I asked he was only running 5 rigs with 3 5870's/5850's in each

Worst thing is my friend is such a quiet guy ans seems positively shocked still by all this, Even though it must have been obvious to the cops that the heat was from his rigs they still decided to search the entire place just in case they might find something for their trouble.
I'd say he was freaking out too as he looks like and is the sort of guy to smoke a little now and again so having 10 cops search every corner of your house might turn up something he didn't even know of.

Anyway I guess this is just a heads up, if your mining don't have pot or any other drugs in your house just in case.
Worst thing is he had to spend the whole night awake waiting for someone to come fix his door after the pigs fecked off and left his house in a state Roll Eyes

tl;dr:  If you mine don't keep drugs in your house

**edit**
this was in Vancouver, Check it out if you like.

I'm not coming here looking for some sort of notoriety or to say "FUCK SHIT I just had the cops come into my kick my kids and fuck my dog!!"
I'm just trying to give a warning to some people that this could happen to them too and maybe it's best not to have any actual drugs there..
**edit**

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:40:55 PM

good they found none
haydent

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:44:47 PM

awesome story man, totally classic ! maybe miners should start putting notices on their front door explaining the situation to the DEA b4 they break your door down...  Tongue

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 12:47:02 PM

Not that I don't believe you, but can anybody definitively confirm at least one instance of this happening?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:49:05 PM

Probable urban legend. It always happens to an unidentified buddy, never to the poster.
haydent

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:50:34 PM

Not that I don't believe you, but can anybody definitively confirm at least one instance of this happening?

man they totally monitor the power usage like that, if you didnt know that you know nothing...

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
AreYouCereal (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:52:05 PM

Probable urban legend. It always happens to an unidentified buddy, never to the poster.
Actually I'm just posting as he's not exactly a talker on here and only signed up recently to get out of the newbie section in case he does need to make a post.
I'll find out his name if you like

Also trust me at the moment he's not in the mood to come on here and talk about this right now.
Was just on the phone to him about it and well if I was woke from my slumber with a gun in my face I'd be a little shook up too

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation
kripz

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:00:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QkyfGJgcwQ

Merged mining, free SMS notifications, PayPal payout and much more.
http://btcstats.net/sig/JZCODg2
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 01:01:20 PM

Someone start selling mining licenses  Cheesy
AreYouCereal (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:02:38 PM

The only thing that made both of us chuckle was the quote that the dea guys came out with about all the computers and fans in the room.
"are you like the google or something"  Grin
To which my friend said and maybe not so smartly "something like that"
I guess he just wanted them out and didn't want to start explaining bitcoin to a bunch of thugs.

Anyway maybe they got the impression he was up to something illegal all the same with so much equipment lying around as according to him his house is a mess now

JayC

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:03:13 PM

Actually I'm just posting as he's not exactly a talker on here and only signed up recently to get out of the newbie section in case he does need to make a post.

Also trust me at the moment he's not in the mood to come on here and talk about this right now.
Was just on the phone to him about it and well if I was woke from my slumber with a gun in my face I'd be a little shook up too

I'm sorry but I call BS...  It's easy enough to prove us wrong...  post the town and state he lives in...  or if it's rural, the county and state...  That search warrant is public record, so it will be easy enough for one of us to call and confirm there was a DEA raid there.
haydent

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:07:09 PM

funny

I'm sorry but I call BS...  It's easy enough to prove us wrong...  post the town and state he lives in...  or if it's rural, the county and state...  That search warrant is public record, so it will be easy enough for one of us to call and confirm there was a DEA raid there.

dude its totally plausible, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to see that

JayC

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:11:03 PM

funny

I'm sorry but I call BS...  It's easy enough to prove us wrong...  post the town and state he lives in...  or if it's rural, the county and state...  That search warrant is public record, so it will be easy enough for one of us to call and confirm there was a DEA raid there.

I don't think it is true...  easy enough to prove me wrong.  Where did it happen?
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

The drug enablement agency always raids the wrong houses and youre lucky if they dont shoot your pets.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:14:08 PM

man they totally monitor the power usage like that, if you didnt know that you know nothing...

Maybe Google told them?
  - http://www.sdge.com/smartmeter/googlePilot.shtml

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:14:57 PM

"hey, it's plausible, so we don't need proof!"

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
AreYouCereal (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:15:39 PM

I'm sorry but I call BS...  It's easy enough to prove us wrong...  post the town and state he lives in...  or if it's rural, the county and state...  That search warrant is public record, so it will be easy enough for one of us to call and confirm there was a DEA raid there.

Vancouver BC, Not sure what the DEA is officially called there but find out if you like. Be interesting to find out how they cover themselves in these sort of cock up's

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:18:10 PM

Kinda suspicious. I'm not saying it's fake, I don't know. But this story has the telltale signs of an urban legend.

Happened to an anonomyus "friend" in an unknown location.
It was the DEA, not the local cops. As though the DEA has time to check out possible grow-up houses.

As mentioned, search warrants are public records. Let's see it.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
AreYouCereal (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:23:55 PM

Kinda suspicious. I'm not saying it's fake, I don't know. But this story has the telltale signs of an urban legend.

Happened to an anonomyus "friend" in an unknown location.
It was the DEA, not the local cops. As though the DEA has time to check out possible grow-up houses.

As mentioned, search warrants are public records. Let's see it.

As I said this was in Vancouver, Check it out if you like.

I'm not coming here looking for some sort of notoriety or to say "FUCK SHIT I just had the cops come into my kick my kids and fuck my dog!!"
I'm just trying to give a warning to some people that this could happen to them too and maybe it's best not to have any actual drugs there.

it's not story/rocket science..It's common sense that these things happen is all
Call me a liar in every post from now on if you like, I'm just trying to have a discussion on the topic as I like to smoke a little myself and now I'm thinking twice because of my 2 rigs in the same small apartment room...simples??

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:28:42 PM

Ok, you seem sincere. I believe you.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: