Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:34:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PWC is killed by 51% attack  (Read 4328 times)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:13:09 PM

Is PWC killed? I just sync'd my PWC wallet, and it is in sync with 29945 blocks downloaded, there's no issues at all. All my previous transactions are there, and balance is intact.

So it does not look to be that it is killed.

If you don't mind the fact that now one guy has more then half of all PWC coins and thus can crash any exchange market at any time for as far in the future as you could imagine- then by all means. Enjoy.

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arlington

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:16:00 PM

Is PWC killed? I just sync'd my PWC wallet, and it is in sync with 29945 blocks downloaded, there's no issues at all. All my previous transactions are there, and balance is intact.

If you don't mind the fact that now one guy has more then half of all PWC coins and thus can crash any exchange market at any time for as far in the future as you could imagine- then by all means. Enjoy.

Anyway, it is not killed, no records/transactions are altered, all balances are fine, and you see the blocks are increasing at about the block time, meaning people are still mining it. No sign at all it is killed.
jasonslow

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:17:22 PM

How does he have that much? Or he is on different fork?
CaptainPicard

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:20:20 PM

Anyway, it is not killed, no records/transactions are altered, all balances are fine, and you see the blocks are increasing at about the block time, meaning people are still mining it. No sign at all it is killed.

If you're mining PWC, you're pretty much the attacker's bitch.  If you work hard and somehow bring up the value of PWC now, he'll be the one reaping all the benefits.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:21:28 PM

And how would you know that anyway? :-)

more or less retired.
arlington

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:21:38 PM

in your LAN, you can do whatever you like, the key is that your chain needs to be accepted by the others. Apparently this is not the case. Anyone can open a PWC client, wait a few minutes (not many people there, but I waited 5 mins and have 4 active connections), and sync the wallet and see. PWC is not dead at all.
jasonslow

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:22:03 PM

If you're mining PWC, you're pretty much the attacker's bitch.  If you work hard and somehow bring up the value of PWC now, he'll be the one reaping all the benefits.

My question how does he got that amount? No altered transactions on my client. I own more powercoin than him.  Smiley
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:22:21 PM

No, the main-net is now his more or less. Half the currency is in his wallet on the mainnet chain. So, do what you want. You can only make him rich.

more or less retired.
jasonslow

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:24:31 PM

No, the main-net is now his more or less. Half the currency is in his wallet on the mainnet chain. So, do what you want. You can only make him rich.

I just withdraw 100k from cryptsy before they close without problems.
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:27:19 PM

God damn 200MH/s?

How many GPU's does he have?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 06:34:53 PM

I could easily solo 51% PXC and FRK right now but why bother.  The cost to do so would be high, not just in the electrical expense but the opportunity cost as I'm not mining at the time of the attack.  Have you seen the order books on those 2 coins.  There's a few hundred dollars in BTC there.  I'm pulling that a day.  So really the effort is not there. 

But there it is the balance.  Risk vs. reward.  People are risking more but in smaller amounts for coins that have low network hash rates.  as you climb up the alt coin ladder you see the valuations increase with hashrate. 

Exxxactly.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
anderl

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:38:58 PM

WTF.

Anyone wanna buy ~150k PWC cheap?  Roll Eyes

as feathercoin proved, you can have a 51% attack and still come back.

The attacker of FTC didn't accumulate almost 50% of all coins in existence during their attack though.  This guy got ~540k PWC

The burden of prove is on the attacker.  I can fork the coin myself from the source  and run it locally and build up a nice fat wallet to put in a screenshot.  hell I can photoshop it Iran-style.  I don't see the attack, show me the proof.
JasperParsons

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:43:10 PM

WTF.

The attacker of FTC didn't accumulate almost 50% of all coins in existence during their attack though.  This guy got ~540k PWC

The burden of prove is on the attacker.  I can fork the coin myself from the source  and run it locally and build up a nice fat wallet to put in a screenshot.  hell I can photoshop it Iran-style.  I don't see the attack, show me the proof.

Proof is in the blockchain.
anderl

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:52:35 PM

WTF.

Proof is in the blockchain.

where burden is on the OP to post it here. 
optimator

Activity: 351

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 06:59:22 PM

Say bye bye to normal miners. I have not mined shit because honestly a person with only one card aint gonna waste the time to get a return of 30 bucks a month.

Then cryptos stall. Enjoy your circle jerk trading among yourselves.

Brewcrew all that will happen is the market  will split , individual with smaller interests will trend towards new innovations , if they stay in the Cryptocurrency game , the large investors will be taking more and more risk , as the individuals seek to find an equitable base .

Funny. Isn't this life? Doesn't the old guard erect barriers around their world, passing laws and taxes and launching wars to keep the status quo - the world they worked so hard to build and treasure?

Doesn't it always fall to the younger generation to find the disruptive technology to unseat the old guard?

I just found it amusing how life imitates life.

mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:01:04 PM

This is a shame. PWC was not likely to ever go anywhere and it would be laughable to view it as a threat to Bitcoin. Don't hold any myself but it's unfortunate because some people out there definitely spent their hard earned money buying these coins, or their precious hash power mining them.

Luckily Litecoin would require 17GH of hash power to 51% it. No way someone is going to do that. Plus I expect the hash power to hit 30Gh in the next two months with the ASICs finally shipping.
anderl

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:01:41 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2013, 07:13:51 PM by anderl

funny, crypto currencies aren't even a few years old and the snake is eating its own tail.
JasperParsons

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:10:18 PM

funny that want crypto currencies aren't even a few years old and the snake is eating its own tail.

Google translate?  Shocked
anderl

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:14:13 PM

funny that want crypto currencies aren't even a few years old and the snake is eating its own tail.

Google translate?  Shocked

FIFY
nearmiss

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:21:47 PM

Luckily Litecoin would require 17GH of hash power to 51% it. No way someone is going to do that. Plus I expect the hash power to hit 30Gh in the next two months with the ASICs finally shipping.

Is that assuming most of the major pools are taken down ahead of time?

Profit-Switching Pool w/ Vardiff -> http://hashco.ws  Optionally keep the alts we mine or auto-trade for BTC. In addition can be paid out in any of: 365, AC, BC,  BTC, C2, CINNI, COMM, FAC, HBN, MINT, PMC, QRK, RDD, WC, XBC
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: