Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 12:03:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There is no 51% challenge.  (Read 3907 times)
dubs

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:29:26 AM

Some of this pure comedy gold.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MicroGuyChannel

~BCX~

why are you ignoring my question
LosingAlpha

Activity: 189

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 12:35:31 AM

so is this shit going down or what
Hopefully. It will be interesting to see if the courts treat an attack on a cryptocurrency as harshly as they do a similar attack on a traditional financial institution, and he's certainly incriminated himself to a huge degree if he actually goes ahead with the plan he spelled out on page one of the "DGC DEV Challenges The Community Kill His Coin" thread.

dubs

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:38:15 AM

moody123

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:39:02 AM

Some of this pure comedy gold.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MicroGuyChannel

~BCX~

why are you ignoring my question

I'm well aware of the fact you want me to nail DGC, I'm just waiting on Baritus or the lack thereof.

I have nothing to prove to anyone.

~BCX~

But that's exactly why you're doing this in the first place. Cause you're trying to "prove" you're "tough". Otherwise why would you even be involved in this whole playground drama anyway? All kinda pathetic really.
moody123

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:41:40 AM

You're defending the bad guy. You do understand that right?
dubs

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:42:17 AM

dubs

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:44:25 AM

You have to be the reincarnation of user once called Bulanula LOL

~BCX~

good or bad thing?
the1silverwolf

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:51:38 AM

Attacking cryptcoins, any cryptcoins does nothing but harm to this community.

The world at large knows almost nothing about cryptcoin tech, all they know is what they see on the news.

Infighting, bickering, attacks and the like won't do a damn thing except spread negative publicity and delay the adoption of any cryptocurrency by the mainstream world.

It looks like a bunch of 12 year old boys in a pissing contest.

This technology is in it's infancy, Bitcoins, Litecoins, or flavor of the day altcoins aren't going to be what replaces regular fiat currency.  It will be their descendants, far removed from where we are now.  None of the current coins are going to cut it in their present state.

We NEED the altcoins.  We need them to be trying new things, different approaches, different ideas.  Even the strange and stupid ones.

Every stupid, bad idea or poorly launched altcoin brings us a tiny bit closer to the end-goal because as a community we learn from our mistakes and we share information, Good ideas are still good ideas even when they are introduced with one failcoin or another.

I believe our end-goal should be a universally accepted and respected p2p digital currency in the mainstream world.  Something you can walk into any 7-11 with and walk out with a pack of smokes.  Something that isn't controlled by a single government (or corporation).

If that's something you'd like to see happen then get on board, otherwise you have no business being here.

Just my 2 Cents, take it for what it's worth.

SW

--
the1silverwolf
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:56:24 AM

Attacking cryptcoins, any cryptcoins does nothing but harm to this community.

The world at large knows almost nothing about cryptcoin tech, all they know is what they see on the news.

Infighting, bickering, attacks and the like won't do a damn thing except spread negative publicity and delay the adoption of any cryptocurrency by the mainstream world.

It looks like a bunch of 12 year old boys in a pissing contest.

This technology is in it's infancy, Bitcoins, Litecoins, or flavor of the day altcoins aren't going to be what replaces regular fiat currency.  It will be their descendants, far removed from where we are now.  None of the current coins are going to cut it in their present state.

We NEED the altcoins.  We need them to be trying new things, different approaches, different ideas.  Even the strange and stupid ones.

Every stupid, bad idea or poorly launched altcoin brings us a tiny bit closer to the end-goal because as a community we learn from our mistakes and we share information, Good ideas are still good ideas even when they are introduced with one failcoin or another.

I believe our end-goal should be a universally accepted and respected p2p digital currency in the mainstream world.  Something you can walk into any 7-11 with and walk out with a pack of smokes.  Something that isn't controlled by a single government (or corporation).

If that's something you'd like to see happen then get on board, otherwise you have no business being here.

Just my 2 Cents, take it for what it's worth.

SW

+100

I agree, but we need alts with INNOVATIONS, not alt's that are clones of LTC.

Cloning LTC and rebranding it a different name does nothing in the long-term.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:58:37 AM

I don't want to put on the tinfoil hat, but seeing baritus' peculiar involvement in Argentum's launch (which is after all competing against DGC) I was expecting him already to do more harm than good to DGC.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
moody123

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:59:06 AM

A coin doesn't necessarily have to be a different hashing algorithm from LTC to be different enough to contribute. It's quite possible to innovate in other areas of the code...
the1silverwolf

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:03:44 AM

+100

I agree, but we need alts with INNOVATIONS, not alt's that are clones of LTC.

Cloning LTC and rebranding it a different name does nothing in the long-term.

I see where you are coming from, there have been far too many simple clones with no actual purpose IMHO.

However, we can learn things even from them.  We can observe how the networks operate simultaneously and in different conditions as an example.   Even small tweaks might be important in time.  We cannot see what the important innovations are right now.

You never can before they happen.  I can tell you that I don't think "shitcoins" are going to be the winner.  many of the new coins show very little obvious difference or innovation.  But that doesn't matter.  Time gets to decide what's important and what isn't, not me or you.

You need a hodgepodge of crap so that the one solitary flower can grow out of it.  It takes all kinds man, you can't just have the winners.  You need the losers too.  Tons of them.

--
the1silverwolf
bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:11:52 AM

It takes all kinds man, you can't just have the winners. You need the losers too. Tons of them.

Failure analysis is the process of collecting and analyzing data to determine the cause of a failure. It is an important discipline in many branches of manufacturing industry, such as the electronics industry, where it is a vital tool used in the development of new products and for the improvement of existing products. The failure analysis process relies on collecting failed components for subsequent examination of the cause or causes of failure using a wide array of methods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_mode_and_effects_analysis

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
baritus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1052

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:43:37 AM

Except in our case it's a success analysis, and a whole topic that is about something which doesn't even exist.

I never challenged anyone except the 2 post newbie threatening the community. I referred to him as "you". Yet people somehow made it about themselves. It boggles my mind why....

Digitalcoin - Sha256, Scrypt, x11 Mining - Multi-algorithm & One Click Masternodes - Founded in 2013
the1silverwolf

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:57:52 AM

Except in our case it's a success analysis, and a whole topic that is about something which doesn't even exist.

I never challenged anyone except the 2 post newbie threatening the community. I referred to him as "you". Yet people somehow made it about themselves. It boggles my mind why....

Probably best not to stir the pot.  Just a suggestion.  Let's let this thread die and move onto something important.

Shall we ?

--
the1silverwolf
Badabing

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:11:59 AM

Just to inform everybody , Big Vern found nothing wrong with pwc and powercoin is back on trading on Cryptsy now.
Random Bit

Activity: 70

So many coins so little hash power

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:14:53 AM

SW

the1silverwolf,
I respect what you are saying and fully agree.  For the record I am not for attacking a coin for any reason.

But doesn't this bring us one step closer to the end-goal as a community by stress testing our own coin code and group standards.  A failed coin is to be learned from, that is from launch to timing metrics and security.  I hope DGT survives but as a group we have to learn how to prevent these attacks to make a currency globally acceptable.  If it can be done easily by such a small group then what would happen if it a coin is accepted in the mainstream media and then attacked by an organization with significant backing and financial support.

Think of pentesting any network, it needs to be done and weaknesses addressed.

The community needs to find out now and grow around 51% attacks and prevent them in the future, they should not be easy to deploy.
the1silverwolf

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:23:33 AM

SW

the1silverwolf,
I respect what you are saying and fully agree.  For the record I am not for attacking a coin for any reason.

But doesn't this bring us one step closer to the end-goal as a community by stress testing our own coin code and group standards.  A failed coin is to be learned from, that is from launch to timing metrics and security.  I hope DGT survives but as a group we have to learn how to prevent these attacks to make a currency globally acceptable.  If it can be done easily by such a small group then what would happen if it a coin is accepted in the mainstream media and then attacked by an organization with significant backing and financial support.

Think of pentesting any network, it needs to be done and weaknesses addressed.

The community needs to find out now and grow around 51% attacks and prevent them in the future, they should not be easy to deploy.

That's true and you are quite correct.  But I think there are plenty of opportunities to run these tests and collect this data without attacking a legitimate coin that many people have a financial stake in.

Not to mention there are plenty of attacks originating from outside this community that will need to be defended against.

My post mainly deals with the infighting within the community itself, which isn't productive at all.

What we should do is create a coin specifically designed to be a target of attacks.  The results of that research would benefit every cryptocoin I think.

--
the1silverwolf
R-T-B

Activity: 145

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:25:03 AM

I agree with Silverwolf 100%.  That said, this forum has taught me the truth in one statement and only one statement the past few days:  Greed brings out the worst in people.

There are those who are in it for the innovation, the ideology, and the freedom.  Inevitably, they get attacked by those who are in it to make a quick buck.  It doesn't matter if they never intend to use that coin, they intend to drive people to THEIR coin to make a quick buck.  Money drives a good portion of this forum, hence all the comments about "shitcoins" and senseless FUD I have been seeing in the past few days.  Accusations fly, usually false or baseless, and they do it all to "sell their souls" so to speak in this world for cash.  There is nothing more important to the survival of digital currency than innovation, and that's precisely why alt coins are so important.  If anything stands a chance to destroy digital currency in general, it is greed, and after today I think it stands a very good chance in the long term of preventing any kind of wide scale adoption...  It is so prevelant on these forums, that it will never be entirely removed.

This saddens me, but it is reality.  Even one line of source code changed from a copy and paste has the potential to reveal massive innovation.  There are those of course who would rather the hash rate be used on their digital "gold mine" and will do anything to stifle that change, even at the expense of innovation.  It's a disease, and we'd do well to purge it.  Unfortunately, the reality is I never see that happening.

Best of luck, you crazies.
the1silverwolf

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:43:29 AM

I agree with Silverwolf 100%.  That said, this forum has taught me the truth in one statement and only one statement the past few days:  Greed brings out the worst in people.

There are those who are in it for the innovation, the ideology, and the freedom.  Inevitably, they get attacked by those who are in it to make a quick buck.  It doesn't matter if they never intend to use that coin, they intend to drive people to THEIR coin to make a quick buck.  Money drives a good portion of this forum, hence all the comments about "shitcoins" and senseless FUD I have been seeing in the past few days.  Accusations fly, usually false or baseless, and they do it all to "sell their souls" so to speak in this world for cash.  There is nothing more important to the survival of digital currency than innovation, and that's precisely why alt coins are so important.  If anything stands a chance to destroy digital currency in general, it is greed, and after today I think it stands a very good chance in the long term of preventing any kind of wide scale adoption...  It is so prevelant on these forums, that it will never be entirely removed.

This saddens me, but it is reality.  Even one line of source code changed from a copy and paste has the potential to reveal massive innovation.  There are those of course who would rather the hash rate be used on their digital "gold mine" and will do anything to stifle that change, even at the expense of innovation.  It's a disease, and we'd do well to purge it.  Unfortunately, the reality is I never see that happening.

Best of luck, you crazies.

There's a disruptive element to any community, and those types of people will always exist.  However, the community itself has sufficient tools to deal with them already.  We should simply exercise them more.

--
the1silverwolf
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: