Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:02:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Laws Imminent  (Read 6318 times)
flug (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:46:44 PM

Here we go!

http://nerdr.com/bitcoin-laws-imminent-bit-coin-soon-to-be-illegal-in-us/

This week the US courts service (UScourts.gov) has shown increasing interest in Bitcoins.  Their research is ongoing but hastily scaling-up from where it was last week.

Seems we have new orders from the top.

The question then becomes, who’s first in the Bitcoin firing line?

Bitcoin Miners.
Bitcoin Exchanges.
Bitcoin Wallet Owners.
Bitcoin Commerce.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:52:32 PM

Exchanges seems like the easiest target, dealing with all that money. I really doubt we'll see any actual legislation for a few years though. It is possible it gets slipped into some other, unrelated bill sooner then that. But I just don't think bitcoin is really on the radar yet to get real national attention.
nextnonce

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

www.minethings.com

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 02:55:00 PM

This week the US courts service (UScourts.gov) has shown increasing interest in Bitcoins.  Their research is ongoing but hastily scaling-up from where it was last week.
cite a source please?

BTC accepted at my browser-based MMO, Minethings.com.  ~1500 active players mining now.
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 02:55:26 PM

I wonder how this could actually work. Would legislation that affects Bitcoin also affect Facebook's game currency or the Linden Dollar?

I can't imagine that they could rush something through like this
flug (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:57:27 PM

cite a source please?

Good point. The article doesn't.
DamienBlack

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:57:45 PM

I wonder how this could actually work. Would legislation that affects Bitcoin also affect Facebook's game currency or the Linden Dollar?

I think it would be something that involves unregulated money exchanges. That would get to the heart of the difference between bitcoins and game currency. There are lots of places that will sell you some amount of points for cash, but bitcoin is the only place you can turn those "points" back into cash.
zhalox

Activity: 176
Merit: 106

XMR = BTC in 2010. Rise chikun.

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:58:39 PM

I just went to that link and searched for "bitcoin" and nothing showed up.  Methinks these people are just trying to spread FUD...

dan_a

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:59:23 PM

Courts don't right write legislation, they interpret existing legislation.
So either some aspects of Bitcoin fall foul of existing legislation or the courts can't do anything.

Edited because although courts can right legislation, that's not what I meant...
DamienBlack

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:00:51 PM

Courts don't right legislation, they interpret existing legislation.
So either some aspects of Bitcoin fall foul of existing legislation or the courts can't do anything.

Who said anything about courts? I think the OP was referring to the legislative branch.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:01:10 PM

Last time I checked, criminal laws in the US are made by the legislature, not by the courts. Really, that was the best you could come up with?
dan_a

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:05:36 PM

Who said anything about courts? I think the OP was referring to the legislative branch.
The OP says that it's the courts service looking at them.
kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:06:36 PM

Yeah exactly anyway I dont trade currency I trade   'unique number over internet' how they plan to ban  numbers ?? some peopel can call it currency but what is bitcoin from legal point  of view??, from technical its only unique number nothing  more. ONE BIG CAN OF WORM from legal point of view.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:07:25 PM

FUD
Source or gtfo

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
flug (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:09:21 PM

FUD
Source or gtfo

+1
CNMOH

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:17:22 PM

Yeah exactly anyway I dont trade currency I trade   'unique number over internet' how they plan to ban  numbers ?? some peopel can call it currency but what is bitcoin from legal point  of view??, from technical its only unique number nothing  more. ONE BIG CAN OF WORM from legal point of view.
Yeah, sorry, people tried that argument with piracy as well. It doesn't work that way.
Isepick

Activity: 180

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:21:19 PM

elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:22:05 PM

Look at the other guy's articles on Bitcoin - there's an obvious bias. You'd think someone with a hatred for Bitcoin and news as juicy as the US court service ramping up it's research efforts about Bitcoin would cite some kind of proof. Absent that proof, the logical conclusion is simply someone who hates the idea of Bitcoin and is making shit up.

On the off-chance the author reads this: post some proof. I don't believe in the libertarian, tax-dodging, protect-my-assets-from-the-gubmint bullshit, so show real proof they're moving to functionally outlaw it and you'll have instantly succeeded in getting at least one Bitcoiner to drop it.

^_^
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 03:28:47 PM

LOLWUT!?!

http://www.uscourts.gov/SearchResults.aspx?IndexCatalogue=AllIndexedContent&SearchQuery=bitcoin

Oh....heres an idea....let's wait for either a single attempt at prosecution or legislation before hopping to conclusions!

FUCK FUD!
FUCK YOU!
tymothy

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:29:30 PM

Well wow, it was reported on nerdr with no evidence, TOTALLY TRUE.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:35:42 PM

At this stage, a violent attack from a big government like that would put bitcoin in all mainstream TV shows.
It's possible that the more abiding of governments subjects start to run away from the technology, but such publicity would attract those who are not that abiding. I'm talking about this: http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/16/bitcoins-four-drivers-part-one-unlawful-trade/

So that would be shooting on their own feet.

And about the blogger of OP, I think he just wants to provoke bitcoin enthusiasts to see their reactions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: