Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:25:46 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think microwaved water hurts plant growth? (let water cool down before)
Yes - 6 (12.8%)
No - 29 (61.7%)
I don't know, I want to find out! - 9 (19.1%)
I don't know, don't care - 3 (6.4%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think microwaved water hurts plant growth?  (Read 4794 times)
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:59:49 AM

The sun has been microwaving everything on earth for billions of years.
Wow
Just wow
Do you even science?
Huh What? The sun has been microwaving everything on Earth for billions of years. No harm seems to have come of it, especially compared to the ultraviolet radiation the sun is constantly spraying out, which is far more dangerous.
Maybe it's because everything is stopped by the atmosphere?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:10:14 AM

Wow
Just wow
Do you even science?
Huh What? The sun has been microwaving everything on Earth for billions of years. No harm seems to have come of it, especially compared to the ultraviolet radiation the sun is constantly spraying out, which is far more dangerous.
Geomagnetic field/ Magnetosphere and most things

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 09:16:21 AM

Wow
Just wow
Do you even science?

Why yes, I do science.  And rather a lot.  Thanks for having the courage to respond.  At least you're willing to listen to an opposing PoV, unlike some other people here.

http://space.about.com/od/astronomydictionary/g/Microwave-Radiation.htm

Microwave Radiation

From John P. Millis, Ph.D, former About.com Guide
Astronomical Sources of Microwave Radiation

The closest source of non-terrestrial microwaves is our Sun.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:26:29 AM

Wow
Just wow
Do you even science?

Why yes, I do science.  And rather a lot.  Thanks for having the courage to respond.  At least you're willing to listen to an opposing PoV, unlike some other people here.

http://space.about.com/od/astronomydictionary/g/Microwave-Radiation.htm

Microwave Radiation

From John P. Millis, Ph.D, former About.com Guide
Astronomical Sources of Microwave Radiation

The closest source of non-terrestrial microwaves is our Sun.
Thanks for your link
the specific wavelengths of microwaves that are primarily emitted by our Sun are absorbed by our atmosphere.
So no. The Sun has been microwaving nothing on Earth for billions of years, except the atmosphere. And don't mention the times where there was no atmosphere, that's now billions of years that's not the case anymore.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:28:52 AM

The atmosphere is more or less transparent to most wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. This is evidenced by the fact that you can, you know, see through it. Radar astronomers, using microwaves, also have no difficulty seeing through it. Although the atmosphere absorbs most of the sun's microwaves, some manages to get through. And it's not just harmless stuff like light and microwaves that the atmosphere is transparent to: although the ozone layer provides partial protection against ultraviolet radiation, a significant portion still reaches Earth - this why you should wear sunscreen to avoid skin cancer. Why would you think the atmosphere stops "everything"?

Despite what you may have seen in the (completely retarded) movie The Core, the Earth's magnetic field only affects charged particles; it has absolutely no effect whatsoever on any kind of electromagnetic radiation.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:31:52 AM

The atmosphere is more or less transparent to most wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. This is evidenced by the fact that you can, you know, see through it. Radar astronomers, using microwaves, also have no difficulty seeing through it. Although the atmosphere absorbs most of the sun's microwaves, some manages to get through. And it's not just harmless stuff like light and microwaves that the atmosphere is transparent to: although the ozone layer provides partial protection against ultraviolet radiation, a significant portion still reaches Earth - this why you should wear sunscreen to avoid skin cancer. Why would you think the atmosphere stops "everything"?
See the context, I was referring to microwaves...
If you think microwaves go through the atmosphere, see my previous post

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:49:13 AM

I saw your previous post. It displays your remarkable ability to read something without understanding it. Go read that article again, especially the part about microwave radiation from space being detectable by ground based observatories. I do think microwaves go through the atmosphere. Radar astronomers also think microwaves go through the atmosphere. Radar wouldn't even work at all if they didn't. As for the sun's microwaves in particular, most of the radiation (what did you think the word "primarily" means, in that context?) is indeed absorbed by the atmosphere without reaching the Earth's surface, but some is not. And the microwave radiation that does reach the Earth, both from the sun and other sources, is completely harmless.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:52:53 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 10:09:43 AM by freedomno1

Despite what you may have seen in the (completely retarded) movie The Core, the Earth's magnetic field only affects charged particles; it has absolutely no effect whatsoever on any kind of electromagnetic radiation.

The Geomagnetic sphere protects from cosmic rays it is the reason we even have life on this earth
The reason we have the Northern and Southern lights is because of interactions in the magnetosphere with the Solar Wind

But lets simplify this
Light is both a wave and a particle and recent research proves it does have an effect on electromagnetic radiation perhaps not much but something as well. But your right it was the atmosphere cosmic rays and EM are different.
I was thinking along the lines of solar storms and why a Solar Burst will cause electronics to fail
Which is mitigated by the magentosphere
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm
Electromagnetic radiation trapped in the magnetosphere above the plasma frequency
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/JA078i034p08136/abstract
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/releases/2010/10-012.html
http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/earth-will-have-15-minutes-to-protect-electronics/
http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/4614/new-study-proves-the-magnetosphere-protects-earth

New research brings about new discovery's the quote it has absolutely no effect Is wrong
Science has no absolutes

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:09:28 AM

The Geomagnetic sphere protects from cosmic rays it is the reason we even have life on this earth
The reason we have the Northern and Southern lights is because of interactions in the magnetosphere with the Solar Wind
Cosmic rays and the solar wind are both composed entirely of the aforementioned charged particles, mostly high energy protons.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:10:36 AM

Was calling out this part
Electromagnetic radiation trapped in the magnetosphere above the plasma frequency

Cosmic rays and the solar wind are both composed entirely of the aforementioned charged particles, mostly high energy protons.

No contest on that point

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:14:54 AM

So no. The Sun has been microwaving nothing on Earth for billions of years, except the atmosphere. And don't mention the times where there was no atmosphere, that's now billions of years that's not the case anymore.

Wow, you honestly believe the earth has had an atmosphere remotely like our present one for billions of years?

And you do know that the atmosphere, which you are aware has been microwaved by the sun for some epoch period of time, contains massive amounts of water vapor, don't you? 

That's cute.  Are you a girl or something?   Cheesy

Your microwave is clearly haunted by demons.  I suggest asking the Pope for an exorcism.  Or apply leeches. 

Whatever sets your scientifically illiterate heat aflutter, and makes you feel safe from the invisible-yet-evil horrors of microwaves.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:21:04 AM

It displays your remarkable ability to read something without understanding it.
This implies I read the article and not just did Ctrl+F 'sun'

I saw your previous post. It displays your remarkable ability to read something without understanding it. Go read that article again, especially the part about microwave radiation from space being detectable by ground based observatories. I do think microwaves go through the atmosphere. Radar astronomers also think microwaves go through the atmosphere. Radar wouldn't even work at all if they didn't. As for the sun's microwaves in particular, most of the radiation (what did you think the word "primarily" means, in that context?) is indeed absorbed by the atmosphere without reaching the Earth's surface, but some is not. And the microwave radiation that does reach the Earth, both from the sun and other sources, is completely harmless.
Ok fair enough I should have read it

Anyway, the point was comparing microwaving water in a microwave oven and the microwaves from the Sun we receive.
Comparing what happens when microwaving a cat in a oven, and when a cat walks under the Sun, I think I can fairly conclude that the amount of microwaves received on the ground is far far lower than in a oven

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:26:46 AM

The title of that article is somewhat misleading: it is referring to electromagnetic radiation being emitted by particles trapped in a particular region of the magnetosphere. The radiation itself is not trapped, only the source of the radiation is.

Anyway, the point was comparing microwaving water in a microwave oven and the microwaves from the Sun we receive.
Comparing what happens when microwaving a cat in a oven, and when a cat walks under the Sun, I think I can fairly conclude that the amount of microwaves received on the ground is far far lower than in a oven
True. I never said it wasn't, though.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:32:48 AM

Wow, you honestly believe the earth has had an atmosphere remotely like our present one for billions of years?
Wow, you honestly believe I said that?

And you do know that the atmosphere, which you are aware has been microwaved by the sun for some epoch period of time, contains massive amounts of water vapor, don't you? 
Point?

That's cute.  Are you a girl or something?   Cheesy
Based on my posts count and the fact that I'm here for more than 2 years, I thought that nearly everybody knew I am a girl. But again, point?
Are you misogynistic?

Your microwave is clearly haunted by demons.  I suggest asking the Pope for an exorcism.  Or apply leeches. 
Oh wait you're christian, don't bother replying to the previous question.

Whatever sets your scientifically illiterate heat aflutter, and makes you feel safe from the invisible-yet-evil horrors of microwaves.   Grin
Are you fucking stupid? Or blind?
The Flying Spaghetti Monster is obviously what keeps me alive in this world full of microwave monsters. Oh and it kills the GMO monsters too.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:35:29 AM

AFAIK the only thing microwaves do is shake water molecules at a high enough rate that they produce heat from friction.  There doesn't seem to be anything which says microwaves have other adverse effects which remain after the process of microwaving is done, outside of nasty dry food.  I wouldn't want to sit in one while it's running, tho.

Your microwave is clearly haunted by demons.

You never know...

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:39:33 AM

The title of that article is somewhat misleading: it is referring to electromagnetic radiation being emitted by particles trapped in a particular region of the magnetosphere. The radiation itself is not trapped, only the source of the radiation is.

Granted the title is misleading but Science has no absolutes
So as a person of science I just hate that word

Based on current science it has been proven to have almost no effect whatsoever on any kind of electromagnetic radiation as far as we know and have been able to prove
Would be a better way to phrase it
Just avoid the A word Cheesy

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:47:35 AM

Are you fucking stupid? Or blind?
The Flying Spaghetti Monster is obviously what keeps me alive in this world full of microwave monsters. Oh and it kills the GMO monsters too.

My dear Pastafarian lassie,

You should replace the batteries on your sarcasm detector if you really think I'm a Christian.

I know it's hard to be rational when you're all full of hormones, but you should realize that for most of the earth's history there was no atmosphere or, at most, a thin one very different than present.

Regardless, that atmosphere was/is full of water vapor and has been microwaved by the sun for eons.  No detriment to plant life has been noted.

You and the OP are full of superstitions.  Baseless, unprovable, scientifically illiterate superstitions.  Exactly like the Christians you disdain.

Unless you can explain how microwaves poison water, you are no better than the most benighted peasant wallowing in the ignorance of the middle ages.  Worse actually, because you should know better, having had access to schools and libraries and google.

I didn't expect you to actually be a girl, but am not surprised given your antipathy to logic and analytical rigor.  Now cry moar about misogyny while simultaneously justifying it, oh mighty fembot.   Roll Eyes   Tongue

You feel microwaves must be bad, so QED they are.  Because ovaries.  And I'm a terrible person for mocking that asinine reality, right?   Kiss

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 11:01:36 AM

Wow
Just wow
Do you even science?

The atmosphere doesn't just put up a stop sign to halt the flow of solar radiation.  It stops the radiation by absorbing it, in the exact same way that food in a microwave oven stops the microwaves by absorbing them.

Any ill effects water microwaved in your kitchen displays should also be present in all water because it's been thoroughly microwaved in the atmosphere for as long as we've had one.

Why do you believe microwave ovens are the devil?  Did you hear it on Oprah, or read it in Cosmo?

What other common household appliances do you fear for no good (IE demonstrable) reason?  Vacuums?  Coffee grinders?  Garage door openers?   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:11:08 AM

You and the OP are full of superstitions.  

Unless you can explain how microwaves poison water
Hmmm what?
Please show me the post where I said I think microwaves poison water, or shut the fuck up  Roll Eyes

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:11:27 AM

Why do you believe microwave ovens are the devil?
Again:
Hmmm what?
Please show me the post where I said I think microwaves poison water, or shut the fuck up  Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: