Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:29:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Surviving segwit2x hardfork  (Read 1281 times)
coiner495 (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 07:55:30 AM

Unlike previous bitcoin hardforks, the forthcoming SegWit2X is not going to be peaceful one. This time it may not be like it was before: price of BTC rises because everyone wants their free coins, then fork, then total euphoria and price rises again.
With this one, miners will have to choose which coin they use their hashrate for. Investor will have to choose which coin is more valuable. This will cause price turbulence, and noone knows where it would take us.

Here are some articles
https://www.coindesk.com/split-no-split-bitcoin-miners-see-no-certainty-segwit2x-fork/
https://medium.com/@CobraBitcoin/there-may-be-3-chains-in-novemeber-true-bitcoiners-will-never-surrender-238373f08035
https://www.yours.org/content/predicting-the-outcome-of-the-november-bitcoin-fork-89914ce0e1f5/

What are you going to do when the Day comes?

1) HOLD bitcoins
2) Temporarly switch to altcoins (Ether, Lite, ...)
3) Sell BTC for USD, than buy back after the fork.
4) Swtch to Bicoin Cash hoping it can go 3-10x
5) Other option.

addie77

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:21:46 AM

I've cashed out all I had yesterday for $10k AUD each. I think the "free money" is a red herring and there's more chance of both chains combined being valued less than BTC today alone, than there being two highly valued working chains post-fork.
I'll be in cash and on sidelines assessing the market, then maybe put some in alts till the dust has settled.
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:22:44 AM

1) HOLD bitcoins
5) Other option.

I'm not very comfortable leaving funds on exchanges. And since there is no replay protection, I won't be in a rush to move either BTC or B2X. I will be keeping ~10% of my coins on Bitmex to 10x short hedge BTC if necessary. I will also be keeping a close eye on BCH for short term opportunity to profit from all the chaos. Part of my portfolio is allocated to ETH..... if BCH looks bullish through all this, I'll move some to that.

If there is a significant hashrate split, then both chains will be less usable and less profitable to mine. Price may follow. Depending on what the chart looks like, I might accumulate some BCH before the fork. It feels dirty, but I'm being forced into a position where I need to hedge in any way I can.
cryptoeddy

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

I just want a life without petty people

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 08:38:40 AM

How about HODLing your BTC is a paper wallet or a mobile and desktop wallets where there is little chance of interference. Then wait for the dust to settle and do whatever you want with your coins. If you get free B2X well and good. If not then you still have your BTC. Seems simple to me. As long as you do not panic then all will be well. 

For all the latest Cryptocurrency and blockchain news visit www.coinweez.com Join coinweez telegram community https://t.me/joinchat/E4QgYhDAXeum7azNK8JRuw Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/coinweez Like the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/coinweezofficial/
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1267

So anyway, I applied as a merit source :)

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 08:39:08 AM

I've cashed out all I had yesterday for $10k AUD each. I think the "free money" is a red herring and there's more chance of both chains combined being valued less than BTC today alone, than there being two highly valued working chains post-fork.
Im pretty confident that the original bitcoin core chain will be the one voted by the miners as the future high valued fork and not the new altcoins. But I think you have taken a good decision in cashing out. I will not be astonished to see if there is a price crash after the fork or maybe before the fork as well the fluctuations will be seen.

I'll be in cash and on sidelines assessing the market, then maybe put some in alts till the dust has settled.
Keep an eye on the price after the fork. I am sure there will be people selling and thus a good time to buy some bitcoin and maybe some altcoins as well.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Davidbugs2

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:39:42 AM

Doesn't matter, i will still keep my bitcoins with my private keys. Worth taking this risk.  Grin
bitjoin

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:46:03 AM

Can i just confirm with someone... if i hold my btc on the core fullnode wallet 0.15 this means at the time of the 2x fork i get 1 x segwit original coins and 1 x segwit 2x coins?   My coins right now are held in an address that starts with 1, does that make it a non segwit address etc? does that still make me get both coins at time of fork?

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
.....5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y......
|     TWITTER     |    TELEGRAM    |     DISCORD     |
....JOIN NOW....
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 08:55:10 AM

Can i just confirm with someone... if i hold my btc on the core fullnode wallet 0.15 this means at the time of the 2x fork i get 1 x segwit original coins and 1 x segwit 2x coins?   My coins right now are held in an address that starts with 1, does that make it a non segwit address etc? does that still make me get both coins at time of fork?

Yes, your existing coins will exist on both chains after the fork so you will have equal amounts of Bitcoin and the new Segwit2x coin. Having a segwit address starting with 3 is irrelevant to the fork, the whole blockchain will be duplicated. Having a segwit address would just allow you to send a segwit transaction from that address.
The only thing you need to concern yourself with is the actual process of splitting off the coins after the fork as the lack of replay protection complicates this a bit. Do a bit of research into this before attempting to do it.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
aoluain
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1285

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:57:24 AM

Im thinking of a 50/50 split for my bitcoin.
Im looking at cashing out half to tether and
holding the other half in case something really
weird happens like both forks showing healthy
values and get some free coins.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:58:13 AM

1) HOLD bitcoins
5) Other option.

1) option 1 is what I always choose but it is only because I have invested what I can afford to lose nothing more and nothing less so I am not worried about what might happen. and I believe that I am good enough with risk management to know what I am doing, at least I have been successful so far.

2) this is not an option at all. if bitcoin falls altcoins will fall harder. besides alts are pump and dumps anyways so it is not worth even thinking about them as investments.

3) this is for those who want to risk it. they may miss out on the rise because the drop may not last long enough for them to come back and buy.

4) I wouldn't say "switch" but investing something in it is not a bad idea only if you are a trader. BCH is getting pumped hard these days and it is a good profit.

5) there are other altcoins like BCH which are getting pumped these days Wink

Only Bitcoin
n4poleon

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:18:26 AM

The last article is the most bias content ever. Why is he bias? Of course, Ryan is one of the proponents of bcash, he actually predicted every chain dying but not bcash and never considered other more capable altcoins to take such place. meh
dua98222

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:26:27 AM

I've been careful about this split since the first time I heard about it, maybe in May or so. I see that people are cashing out and choose to be careful. I did so too a while ago although I could have waited longer and get even cheaper alts. But it's fine, I chose my way.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:27:53 AM

I read the articles and I don't really agree with them. Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't really believe in any of those scenarios because bitcoin is way ahead of all the other coins.

I'm not talking about technical stuff here. A lot has been said about that, and although bitcoin definitely needs some development in order to solve the scalability problems, and I also agree with the need to do some changes on it's proof-of-work function (PoW) and it's DAA, since it won't be sustainable to keep mining bitcoins like that in the long term (talking about energy costs and environment here), I don't think that switching to bcash will be the option.

If we talk about profit, we all know that the bitcoin price will skyrocket once institutional money gets into bitcoin. We all saw what happened to the price once the CME Group announced it's intentions to trade Bitcoin Futures by the end of the year. Regulation is also happening at a good pace, and things are looking good for bitcoin right now. I think the whales can easily see, that staying with the original chain, and not promoting some kind of crash in the price is the best option here, because it will send a message of confidence to investors.

Updates will happen, but they can't be rushed by these takeover attempts and coin fights. If a crash happens in bitcoin right now, everyone will lose faith in it, because we will all look like a bunch of greedy cowboys that cant reason with each other. Who will trust and invest in a market like that?

We already have to deal with governments and bank attacks, if we also fight each other and manage to crash bitcoin in that process, then we have no chances in surviving. I believe in bitcoin, and I will just hold my coins.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

rjbtc2017

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:40:35 AM

Unlike previous bitcoin hardforks, the forthcoming SegWit2X is not going to be peaceful one. This time it may not be like it was before: price of BTC rises because everyone wants their free coins, then fork, then total euphoria and price rises again.
With this one, miners will have to choose which coin they use their hashrate for. Investor will have to choose which coin is more valuable. This will cause price turbulence, and noone knows where it would take us.

Here are some articles
https://www.coindesk.com/split-no-split-bitcoin-miners-see-no-certainty-segwit2x-fork/
https://medium.com/@CobraBitcoin/there-may-be-3-chains-in-novemeber-true-bitcoiners-will-never-surrender-238373f08035
https://www.yours.org/content/predicting-the-outcome-of-the-november-bitcoin-fork-89914ce0e1f5/

1) HOLD bitcoins
5) Other option.

I really don't know , I'm planning to cash it all out, It's just really frustrating and at the same time my super sensitive self is coming out when things like this is coming. I want to Hold it but i want to cash it out, I am torn between two choices, I do have a little waves, i think it will survive later and i will generate profit from it. But my only choice and my only surviving choice is to send it all to Peso Exchanges and convert it into fiat.
A1exander

Activity: 336
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:48:03 AM

I'm holding BTC in a local wallet (not online, not exchanges) and an almost equal amount of Bitcoin Cash. I'll just wait until the dust settles, especially because the upcoming split may be not peaceful.
BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:50:00 AM

Well, don't see some reason to switch to bitcoin cash, I don't think that it has very bright perspective. And I don't also see the reason to panic sell the bitcins for fiat money. No matter all prediction sI don't belive that something so dramatic will happen and I will hold my bitcoins. I expect some corrections in price, that is for sure but I will not sell. Though I will not keep bitcoins on exchanger, don't feel much comfortable about it.

malaj
Virtual miner

Activity: 728
Merit: 275

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:51:41 AM

Thats the really the most devastating advice ever heard. Around more than 10 days to fork and you have cashed out to fiat when experts are saying that bitcoin might reach $9000. Even if see after the fork effects bitcoin price might face a correction which is due from.past 2 months but taking money out at this time would be much foolishness I think best is to cash out immediately after fork within minutes if you can.
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:54:16 AM

Well, don't see some reason to switch to bitcoin cash, I don't think that it has very bright perspective. And I don't also see the reason to panic sell the bitcins for fiat money. No matter all prediction sI don't belive that something so dramatic will happen and I will hold my bitcoins. I expect some corrections in price, that is for sure but I will not sell. Though I will not keep bitcoins on exchanger, don't feel much comfortable about it.

In the long term, I suspect money will flow to legacy BTC. However, I do see a situation building where the increased difficulty on the BTC chain, combined with the 2x chain split, could make the situation really bad for both chains.

Bitcoin Cash is also changing the difficulty algorithm to remove the EDA, to be more like the original Bitcoin. This is a calculated move IMO, given the timing. Bitmain and company are trying to build the narrative that both legacy BTC and 2x are not the "original vision of Satoshi." And it looks like they are going to use stuck chains and high fees after the fork to help further that narrative. The game theory..... interesting stuff.

Disconnecting

Activity: 208

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:48:10 AM

In the long term, I suspect money will flow to legacy BTC. However, I do see a situation building where the increased difficulty on the BTC chain, combined with the 2x chain split, could make the situation really bad for both chains.

Bitcoin Cash is also changing the difficulty algorithm to remove the EDA, to be more like the original Bitcoin. This is a calculated move IMO, given the timing. Bitmain and company are trying to build the narrative that both legacy BTC and 2x are not the "original vision of Satoshi." And it looks like they are going to use stuck chains and high fees after the fork to help further that narrative. The game theory..... interesting stuff.

What is segwit2?
ColdZerk

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:58:08 AM

How do you think - will it be a panic sale before the Segwit2x come due the risk of Segwit2x will occupy the main chain?
What right decision? To hold your BTC on cold storage?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: