Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:43:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: L3+ Way Overclocked! 500M frequency - 650 MH/s!  (Read 2989 times)
FalconZA

Activity: 182
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:36:01 AM

I think if they honor people's wallet balances, people will come back. I know I'd be willing to if I get my coins.
Agree. If they can send us atleast some of our small amounts back, then I'll bring my trust back. Surely those guys must have way more BTC in their pockets?

Probably, but they took a pretty huge hit. They also incur regular operating costs, which aren't small. I imagine that they may be able to work out some sort of payment schedule, however, like dedicate part of the farm to just earning payback funds until everyone is back to where they were at the time of the hack...

Or maybe they're insured and it's just a matter of working it out with the insurance company? No idea, I guess we'll see, but in the meantime I'm sticking to straight coin farming and regular payouts to my own, offline wallets/Trezor, thank you very much. Smiley
That's a good idea. If they can do payout overtime at least people will have some trust restored. Either way they will have to take a knock if they want to keep their business. Not sure if any insurance will cover such a loss through a security breach.

According to an interview with their CEO today, part of what they are currently working on is a plan to repay all the stolen coin to users. So if they follow through with this I am more than happy to keep using them for mining/payout when they're back up.
If they can get that right and pay the miners what were owed to them, I see at least 50% of the miners heading back. They should also revisit their fees, as people started using other "easy" miners and saw higher returns.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:30:40 PM

I think if they honor people's wallet balances, people will come back. I know I'd be willing to if I get my coins.
Agree. If they can send us atleast some of our small amounts back, then I'll bring my trust back. Surely those guys must have way more BTC in their pockets?

Probably, but they took a pretty huge hit. They also incur regular operating costs, which aren't small. I imagine that they may be able to work out some sort of payment schedule, however, like dedicate part of the farm to just earning payback funds until everyone is back to where they were at the time of the hack...

Or maybe they're insured and it's just a matter of working it out with the insurance company? No idea, I guess we'll see, but in the meantime I'm sticking to straight coin farming and regular payouts to my own, offline wallets/Trezor, thank you very much. Smiley
That's a good idea. If they can do payout overtime at least people will have some trust restored. Either way they will have to take a knock if they want to keep their business. Not sure if any insurance will cover such a loss through a security breach.

According to an interview with their CEO today, part of what they are currently working on is a plan to repay all the stolen coin to users. So if they follow through with this I am more than happy to keep using them for mining/payout when they're back up.
If they can get that right and pay the miners what were owed to them, I see at least 50% of the miners heading back. They should also revisit their fees, as people started using other "easy" miners and saw higher returns.

True. They should certainly revisit their outside wallet fees, as if miners could have been paying out regularly at a cheaper rate (or just equal to internal), there'd be less stolen and less to figure out how to pay back (I wouldn't have had as much in my account if I wasn't trying to minimize fees).

And depending on the platform they re-open, I could see more than 50%, but yeah, there will definitely be a large percentage who just will not trust them again.
greyday

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:49:31 PM

What sort of returns do you get? Are you mining other crypto's or directly on NH?

Looking into buying a L3+ and would like to know if it is worth it? Compared to normal GPU mining. Some people say it's too late to jump in, but if the ROI is better than normal GPU mining, why not?

Difficulty is going up on a regular basis. I'm glad that I had my L3+ up and running the same day it was delivered. I made 1 LTC in 6 days. Now, I am just hoping that I can make my next 1 LTC in 10 days.

I used to be faster than up to 60% of those in Litecoinpool. Now, I'm down to 37%. Lots of people are out there crunching away.

It's going to get tougher and tougher. Bitmain's next release of Antminer L3+'s aren't until March.

You should definitely get more hashrate from an ASIC miner like the L3+ than with a GPU rig, unless you have one beast of a GPU rig! :-)

Run the calculations and see what you think. Meanwhile, buying LTC right now is a very good idea. Buy it and lock it away.

I made kind of the mistake of going mostly in on mining. I have 5 TH/s of Bitcoin Cloud Mining on Genesis that went active on Halloween. It is doing well. And, you can switch mining to other cryptos like LTC. I am waiting for my next BTC payout, then I am going to test going 100% with LTC and see what kind of returns I get. Genesis rarely offers Cloud Mining contracts, and when they are offered, they go VERY fast. I was only on my fourth day of studying crypto, and was glad that I had the presence of mind to grab up what I did. Of course, I wish I had gotten more! But, with my limited knowledge at that time, I am glad that I went for the 5 TH/s.

But, buying crypto and locking it away should be part of your strategy.

I have carefully documented my experience with the L3+. I shot video of my unboxing and hooking up the Antminer to the PSU. I will post that when I get a chance, and put the link on here. I am also working on a written guide detailing my experiences and my personal advice. I will post that on my blog at the address you see below in my signature.

There is a lot to consider. Power requirements, noise, heat, and ventilation. L3+'s can be run on 120V. But, they should run more efficiently on 220V. That is my next step: Seeing if I can get a 220V outlet figured out.

I will try to post what I can when I can. With the holidays going on, I am quite busy at the moment!

Difficulty is going up, but so is coin value. Significantly. So while I am earning less on my L3+ in actual litecoin right now than I ever have, I am earning more in USD equivalent. It's all relative, unless it devalues significantly.

They will be more efficient on 220V, but do the math. I think it's something like 8-12% more efficient, so figure out how long you plan to run your L3+ (lifetime), the cost of your electricity, do the annual math on that, then subtract, say, 15% to be safe. Then do the math on what adding a 220V line and outlet will cost (if you're handy, then what the parts will cost; where I live, that worked out to around 1/3 the cost of hiring an electrician, your mileage [and homeowner's insurance or rental agreement] may vary), and figure out if it's ultimately worth it.

For example, my slightly overclocked L3+ on a 120v pulls around 850-900W (will retest that soon). So let's say for most expense, 900W. For me, actually, I can tap into the 60A 220 line running to my heater if I want (since my miners make my heater run rarely, and it runs well under the 10.5kW continuous safe rating, so my cost is basically an outlet box, outlet, and new cable for the PSU; I'd estimate that at maybe $100).

SO (and keep in mind that the voltage may be higher or lower than 220, but will be in that general neighborhood), roughly:

900*24*365/1000=7,884kWh

My electricity is .11/kWh, so:

$867.24/year, or $72.27/month

15% of that would be $130/year

So independent of coin value, if I plan to run my current L3+ for more than 10 months, it is potentially worth it for me to swap to the higher voltage (the bonus being I can actually test the exact difference by using one of my heater lines before I even do any work, all I need is an adapter to do so). HOWEVER, to do things with proper permitting to code by a licensed electrician would be significantly more expensive, and ultimately not worth it IMHO, unless I planned on building a farm large enough to require its own breaker box; then a series of 220 line would make sense, since the wiring was being done anyway. I do not currently plan to, so yeah. For my purposes, the small amount of difference is not worth doing it.

Now, if I plan to replace my L3+ with another ASIC miner in the future, which I may or may not do, the long term benefits may very well be worth it. But for now, I'm not planning to (especially since I use renewable energy and am having solar panels installed, so wasted electricity is becoming less of an issue for me, and I use the heat to heat my house anyway [my heater is also electric], so there's actually no loss of electricity in the winter).

Conclusion: if you will use the 220v line in the future, it is worth it. If it's only for the lifetime of this L3+, then the value is more about whether or not you want to be more efficient, not necessarily profit and loss based. My opinion only, and I'm neither an electrician or a math professor, so grain of salt and all that. Smiley
OGteamcrypton

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:50:48 PM

very interesting topic chaps. Im in for the ride and interested in the limits of these things. I think no one really wants to blow a board.... but man is it fun to mess with the settings =)
stevebills

Activity: 60

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 07:23:59 PM

Sorry I may have not been as specific as needed.

The L3+ comes at stock set at 384M frequency (I think) which equals out to approximately 504 MH/S.

My first overclock I had it going around 600 MH/and I believe that was at 440-460 frequency.

As you can see in my post where I outlined the settings I have overclocked it to 500 frequency which is given me approximately 650 MH/S.

My question is if anyone has set a frequency of 500 or higher and if so if they have seen any issues? The only issue I see currently is the high HW account but at least according to nice hash it is reporting all my shares are 100% accepted and my temperatures appear to be at par with stocks settings?

Any long term issues with constant high H.W.?

after 2 months or less it will start to fail and need to be returned to Bitmain i tried it wore the t shirt
dont bother i have blown 3 antminers this way
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 07:52:02 PM

Overclocking ASICs is always a really stupid move. Especially when you have no clue how they function and think that the temperatures are all that matter.

P.S. Stop being lazy and using nicehash, sit down for an hour and figure out how to do things the proper way and you will earn much more in the long run.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
greyday

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 09:33:05 AM

Overclocking ASICs is always a really stupid move. Especially when you have no clue how they function and think that the temperatures are all that matter.

P.S. Stop being lazy and using nicehash, sit down for an hour and figure out how to do things the proper way and you will earn much more in the long run.

Not really. Think about when the D3 first came out. If you'd overclocked it to the highest stable hashrate and left it running back then, by the time the second batch shipped you'd have made more than you probably will with any batch since on any setting. So it really just depends.

I have my L3 overclocked to 600 with zero problems (running for a couple months now), my D3 uses BlissZ's mods and runs underclocked a lot of the time, but will be overclocked when it moves to the basement. If I had an S9, though, I would leave it at stock, because that will be a consistent earner until something new comes out for BTC.

I mean, there is certainly something to be said for longevity, my S5 still earns a steady profit and heats my living room. But just by the math, the $2-3/day it earns is nothing compared to what it earned when it was king of the block, so if I had it back then, overclocking would have likely resulted in more income.

YMMV. I'm mostly conservative with my hardware (except the L3), but I totally get the logic in overclocking.

(also Nicehash is nice when BTC drops in value, but in general yeah, I totally agree: mine coins and support blockchains of coins you believe in!)
Gearhart

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:36:10 PM

I have 5 machines...1 machine I am testing at 475 MHZ it is kicking out about 621 MH/S and the chip temps are 58, 56, 55, 57 with my fan speed at 100%.

I haven't had any HW errors yet...been about 1 week on it at this frequency.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: