Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:33:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A newbie just killed Ethereum  (Read 4068 times)
equator
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:23:25 PM

Again ETH got attacked and it also affected so many users and this time it is not hack but it killed the system and blocked it. What will be resolution and how can we find that who are all affected.
Cicada1033

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:25:59 PM

In regards to everyone saying ETH is going to dive because of this, how so. The coins were not stolen from my understanding, so they wont be sold they are just lost. So it should really bring the value up, unless people are afraid of this for some reason

Bringing FUD to ETH won't drive the price up. Doesn't matter if the coins are not stolen. Bad news are bad news and people will react to it.

ModulTrade ║  DEMOCRATIZING GLOBAL TRADE WITH BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY  ║ ModulTrade
The Freedom To Trade▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ White Paper ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬The Freedom To Trade
FacebookMediumLinkedinTwitterTelegramReddit
hisuka

Activity: 882
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:32:13 PM

In regards to everyone saying ETH is going to dive because of this, how so. The coins were not stolen from my understanding, so they wont be sold they are just lost. So it should really bring the value up, unless people are afraid of this for some reason

Bringing FUD to ETH won't drive the price up. Doesn't matter if the coins are not stolen. Bad news are bad news and people will react to it.
Well, I hope there would be a resolution on this matter. Eth has many supports and many invest in this coin. So, I think even there is FUD about eth price would be recover.
jdarren

Activity: 296
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:05:30 PM

I saw a chart the other day that has ethereum vs. cybermiles token. Very interesting read: https://medium.com/cybermiles/cmt-vs-eth-c7eea2b03632

There are too many vulnerabilities with the current platform.
imtav

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:14:21 PM

Permanently frozen funds? Scary that this kind of weak fault existed.
Raegorl

Activity: 140

★Jetwin.com★

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:17:09 PM

Wow. Almost 1000k Ethereum frozen possible forever. I wonder if the Ethereum foundation will hard fork to unfreeze the funds or not... Seems like it could create a precedent for incompetence in the future...

Tesorex

Activity: 204

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:20:36 PM

Is Bitcoin multi-signature potentially at risk? a hard fork could restore the funds, it wasn't stolen just crappy development.
shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:22:17 PM

Considering these funds represent approximately 3 times as much value in US dollars then the DAO did if this doesn't drop the value of ETH back to 6 dollars investors are just stupid.

There is a reason that coins like bitcoin, litecoin and others are not turing complete. You just can't have codeable contracts integrated into something of value, unless you're comfortable with the possibility of losing your entire investment every now and again.
Coinve.st

Activity: 700
Merit: 14

Coin ● https://coindefi.org

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 11:23:47 PM

My only concern is that Parity, the wallet company that was hacked is owned by Gavin Wood.  He's a cofounder of Ethereum and good friends with Vitalik.  If they choose to fork ETH again in order to save these funds, then it's going to really hurt both the platform and their individual credibility.
Wickedwitch28

Activity: 180

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:31:23 PM

Gosh, this is scary. Do they have any backup on it? It's another problem with eth. I hope it will not be frozen for months and months.

KitToken.net                     
     ▔  Utility * Organic Growth * Sharing  ▔     
imtav

Activity: 79

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:32:40 PM

Is there any way to find out if specific wallets are affected?  I want to know if any ICO got hit
joshmontford

Activity: 98

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:36:18 PM

how can one delete this? if you know what it is?

all that money... what would i do with it.  Grin

but how will that affect it in the future?

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:39:32 PM

I'm just learning of the news. I am shocked that Ethereum has not fallen more than a few percent today. I would expect it to drop tens of percentage points on such news. Maybe because so many funds are locked up..
krypt0n1

Activity: 238

🔵 Brickblock.io - Future of Stock Trading

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:49:55 PM

I'm just learning of the news. I am shocked that Ethereum has not fallen more than a few percent today. I would expect it to drop tens of percentage points on such news. Maybe because so many funds are locked up..

I expected people to freak out also but the reality is that it was a failure in parity, a wallet, and not ethereum.

The fundamentals of ether have not changed and a wallet hack could easily occur in a bitcoin wallet as well, but that wouldn't reflect an underlying deficiency/weakness in bitcoin itself.

bitcoinbox

Activity: 675
Merit: 254

So far so good

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:54:17 PM

The title is a bit extreme no? Killed Ethereum, really??
BTW Ethereum isn't reacting too bad at the moment. -3.6% on Polo.. Maybe because so many ETH are frozen..?
We'll see in the next few hours/days.
KryptoKai

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:56:59 PM

Good time for those who are developing LISK, they solved all the problems with ethereum and are releasing the SDK in a few months time. Time for ETH developers to move over to javascript!

HAARP

Activity: 206

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:03:43 AM

I was wondering why Ethereum was trending on Twitter.

This article explains the bad news for some Ethereum holders  https://www.cryptpool.net/ethereum-wallet-vulnerability/

Breaking the password of those wallets doesn't mean you break ethereum chain. They're different actions and people should see that wallets are vulnerable to hacking attempst, but the blockchain of ethereum is not.

I remember parity wallet fund hack, this summer...
NathanJB

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:10:43 AM

The title is a bit extreme no? Killed Ethereum, really??
BTW Ethereum isn't reacting too bad at the moment. -3.6% on Polo.. Maybe because so many ETH are frozen..?

I agree. The title is too far-fetched. This is not even an isolated news. Ethereum has been a victim of hacking several times in the past. There is actually nothing new to this. Several hundreds of millions of dollars have already been siphoned off from Ethereum projects before. But I guess this particular case will be ironed out well in the next few days. Parity will be looking for the best way to end this fiasco well.
Woii !!

Activity: 161

Syirik tanda tak mampu, ingat azab !

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:13:18 AM

"I'm Eth newbie.. Just Learning"  how can he said he just start to learning ? what can we do so far on ETH ? nothing, just a normal user who want's get profit from this coin.
awesome.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:13:48 AM

BTW Ethereum isn't reacting too bad at the moment. -3.6% on Polo..

I think that it will drop more once the news spreads.

It will drop especially more as the talks of a roll back and fork al la The DAO continue.

I don't think the market realizes yet that a hard fork and rollback is the only way to unlock the $120 million worth of ETH.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: