Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:10:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY is a preference to dag-technology, like a BYTEBALL or IOTA?  (Read 1471 times)
MatrixMining

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:14:09 PM

I found a nice article on Steemit comparing Byteball and IOTA: https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@jimmco/byteball-vs-iota-battle-of-two-dag-cryptocurrencies

The author of the article concludes:
"After making this research I must say I like both of these projects although I consider ByteBall more interesting for general crypto user like myself. As I said there are not much danger for each other but rather for some older types of crypto coins. Simply said ByteBall is great for man-man or man-bot interactions and IOTA for machine-machine or man-machine interaction."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paparadis

Activity: 97
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:19:08 PM

I found a nice article on Steemit comparing Byteball and IOTA: https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@jimmco/byteball-vs-iota-battle-of-two-dag-cryptocurrencies

"After making this research I must say I like both of these projects although I consider ByteBall more interesting for general crypto user like myself. As I said there are not much danger for each other but rather for some older types of crypto coins. Simply said ByteBall is great for man-man or man-bot interactions and IOTA for machine-machine or man-machine interaction."

Good and helpful article. Thank you!
Anonymous Kid

Activity: 183
Merit: 25

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:23:22 PM

why is a DAG better than simple blockchain?

Its quite complicated and I am not sure how good your understanding of decentralised technology is, so I will try to make it simple  Smiley

Here goes:

In a blockchain system blocks (groups of transactions) are confirmed one after the other. This is known as 'series'.
Visual example of a blockchain:

[block]=>[block]=>[block]=>[block]=>[block]

Since only one block can get confirmed at a time, the problem with a blockchain is that it is limited to how fast each block can get confirmed and added to the 'series' chain.

In a direct acyclic graph (DAG) chain, blocks get confirmed in 'parallel' which allows for multiple blocks to get confirmed at a time and is considerably faster as it is not limited to the 'one at a time' problem.

Thats the very basics. If you want a more technical understanding, read IOTA's tangle white paper.  Smiley
TimeHacker

Activity: 521
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:30:44 PM

Thanks for sharing the article here.
I also prefer Byteball over IOTA for personal use as a cryptocurrency, but it's true that IOTA is better for machine-machine interactions. In the end, it was ment to be like that by their design. So I'd say they don't intend to compete each other, but they both can compete older blockchain-based currencies, at least in some aspects.
Also, the author correctly states in the article that especially Byteball seems to be highly undervalued by the market, considering the improvements it brings.

paparadis

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:32:00 PM

DAG is technological innovation
It's a new direction of development

Yes, it is innovation of blockchain technology. I belive DAG will be more succesfull than simple blockchain  - in everyday use Smiley

As I said before, I really look forward too how DAG-based system will rise in the future Smiley
paparadis

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:38:06 PM

I also prefer Byteball over IOTA for personal use as a cryptocurrency, but it's true that IOTA is better for machine-machine interactions. In the end, it was ment to be like that by their design. So I'd say they don't intend to compete each other, but they both can compete older blockchain-based currencies, at least in some aspects.
Also, the author correctly states in the article that especially Byteball seems to be highly undervalued by the market, considering the improvements it brings.

So, you also belive that byteball will rise more in near future?
TimeHacker

Activity: 521
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:29:46 PM

Yes I do. It has huge technological advantage over blockchain-based cryptocurrencies and I'm sure that slowly but surely this will be recognized also by the market. IMHO the market cap of Byteball should be somewhere close to IOTA, at least.

CryptoSerenity

Activity: 22

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:32:57 PM

I think that Byteball price was being pushed down by the free airdrop. Soon it should stabilize and the rice will be corrected... upwards.
paparadis

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 08:26:21 PM

Yes I do. It has huge technological advantage over blockchain-based cryptocurrencies and I'm sure that slowly but surely this will be recognized also by the market. IMHO the market cap of Byteball should be somewhere close to IOTA, at least.

Thank you. It is always better to read opinions from multiple sources.
Qpeep

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:07:09 PM

I'd say that Byteball and IOTA are technologically equally good and my bet is that both of them can end up at least in Top5. However, as an investment, Byteball seems to be much more attractive as it's current market cap is much lower, so there's more space for profit.

And why is DAG better? For many reasons. It's much faster (no waiting for block to appear), it doesn't need miners (no politics and drama from big mining groups like now with BTC vs BCH), it's ecological (no wasted energy for PoW)... and many others.

I completely agree on this, and the reason why Byteball is still not correctly priced is that most of the people are diffident in front of technologies which are sooo new. But once it will go through, expect fireworks.
HybCZ

Activity: 126

BTC forever

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 09:12:22 AM

BYTEBALL is obviously a far better project and is a far better investment from here.

IOta is untested and until it has the training wheels removed and no serious attacks are successful from many months its not even a proven functional design.

I would take byteball as a better bet from here any day.

You're probably right. Another thing is that the Byteball and IOTA technology is quite similar, as well as their valuation potential. But Byteball has much lower market cap right now, which means that the potential gain is also much bigger.

More people talk about the byteball, but Iota could also have the potential. Could you please point out the main differences?

easy-pizy Cool

Byteball

- the ordering of transactions is based on main chain
- there is no chance of orphaning   
- there are deterministic criteria when a transaction becomes final   
- has multiple assets and smart contracts   
- there are assets that are transferred privately

Iota

IOTA uses PoW
parts of the DAG can be orphaned
there are no exact criteria, it is still probabilistic, based on intuition
is a single token currency with only plain payments
all payments are public

is that from byteball-wiki

Wink thanks. it is obvious that the byteball has biger potentioanl then IOTA. We will see what will bring the time.
HybCZ

BTC forever

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 06:08:57 AM

What about short manual how to "hop in" to the byteball?
dagfan

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 12:44:02 PM

I also prefer Byteball over IOTA for personal use as a cryptocurrency, but it's true that IOTA is better for machine-machine interactions. In the end, it was ment to be like that by their design.

In what way is IOTA (which requires PoW) better for IoT??
Black_bl

Activity: 503
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 02:14:29 PM

I also prefer Byteball over IOTA for personal use as a cryptocurrency, but it's true that IOTA is better for machine-machine interactions. In the end, it was ment to be like that by their design.

Byteball has a fees (around one cent now) whereas IOTA has zero fees and that's a huge difference
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 05:02:17 PM

DAG will be a winner take all scenario, as they are so scalable and have no fee's. IOTA has won this race already, they have the tech, the people, the money, the marketing, everything. I don't really care about other DAG coins, but I do hold some Raiblocks.

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
WhaleSlayer

Activity: 229

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:42:46 AM

BYTEBALL is obviously a far better project and is a far better investment from here.

IOta is untested and until it has the training wheels removed and no serious attacks are successful from many months its not even a proven functional design.

You're probably right. Another thing is that the Byteball and IOTA technology is quite similar, as well as their valuation potential. But Byteball has much lower market cap right now, which means that the potential gain is also much bigger.

More people talk about the byteball, but Iota could also have the potential. Could you please point out the main differences?

easy-pizy Cool

Byteball

- the ordering of transactions is based on main chain
- there is no chance of orphaning   
- there are deterministic criteria when a transaction becomes final   
- has multiple assets and smart contracts   
- there are assets that are transferred privately

Iota

IOTA uses PoW
parts of the DAG can be orphaned
there are no exact criteria, it is still probabilistic, based on intuition
is a single token currency with only plain payments
all payments are public

is that from byteball-wiki

I think this comparison tells it all Smiley I would add that for Iota there is some suspicion of foul play as the price discovery mechanism is concerned - it basically appeared on the market with 2 billions of capitalisation, which is unreal.
jorneyflair

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:45:33 AM

Iota definitely has a lot more chance to make it in my opinion. There has already been a few ICO tokens that are built on the iota blockchain if i remember correctly(bitdice and paragon, potentially more), whilst byteball hasn't been used much.

Both has potential, though.

Main attraction is obviously the 0 fee transfers, but they really need to make sure their software has no bugs first.
wertram

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:21:29 AM

Agree. This is very important fact. You can much easily move some low capitalization currency.
HybCZ

BTC forever

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 06:35:00 AM

Byteball has a fees (around one cent now) whereas IOTA has zero fees and that's a huge difference

Do you think IOTA will never charge fees?

Other big companies such as volkswagen, cisco microsoft are being added to the project. project. What do you think will be the next development around IOTA?
Dread (OP)

Activity: 315
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 10:30:11 PM

new reply by Tonych from conference about DAG and BYTEBALL with IOTA

paypall, blockchain and other challenge of a payment mechanism and their decision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhI3js_7yWw&t=3s

⚪ Byteball     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email  -  Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments  -  ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD          TELEGRAM          TWITTER          MEDIUM          SLACK          REDDIT
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: