Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:25:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Strategy for a newbie in this time of uncertainty  (Read 797 times)
flowpify (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 09:20:52 AM

Hello guys,
I have been following bitcoin for a while now, from back to when it was around a couple hundred dollars, but I was too afraid to jump on this train at the time.
Now that I see it's current level, I'm quite sad to have missed this opportunity, but, I'm ready to got for it.
The thing is, regarding the current situation where the altcoin market is quite calm and Btc on the way for the unknown with the next fork, I'm not exactly sure what strategy I should adopt.
Shall I just invest in BTC, no matter what will happen with the fork? Shall I invest in certain good value altcoins waiting for BTC to stabilize?
I know this is a question that comes a lot from beginner like, and I'm sorry If it's just another random post but I didn't found the answers to my questions for now.
Thank you in advance for your feedbacks guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm hoping to stay for a while Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Seansky

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:21:16 AM

Hello guys,
I have been following bitcoin for a while now, from back to when it was around a couple hundred dollars, but I was too afraid to jump on this train at the time.
Now that I see it's current level, I'm quite sad to have missed this opportunity, but, I'm ready to got for it.
The thing is, regarding the current situation where the altcoin market is quite calm and Btc on the way for the unknown with the next fork, I'm not exactly sure what strategy I should adopt.
Shall I just invest in BTC, no matter what will happen with the fork? Shall I invest in certain good value altcoins waiting for BTC to stabilize?
I know this is a question that comes a lot from beginner like, and I'm sorry If it's just another random post but I didn't found the answers to my questions for now.
Thank you in advance for your feedbacks guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm hoping to stay for a while Smiley
The simplest strategy a newbie can take in this time of uncertainty is to sell all your btc stash and rebuy at a lower price, then wait for things to calm down. This might not work all the time, but it has proven that it is one good strategy to execute in times of doubt specially when bitcoin price is high. Investing on altcoin with potential seems to be a good strategy too, you can also use it if you want.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3831

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:55:37 AM

It completely depends if you're planning on holding for long term or short term. If you're planning on holding long term, why does the current price matter? If you're expecting it to go up in the future then you'll be fine with any price around $5,000-$10,000. Short term is another different story though, probably wait for a correction.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
flowpify (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:50:31 PM

Hello guys,
The simplest strategy a newbie can take in this time of uncertainty is to sell all your btc stash and rebuy at a lower price, then wait for things to calm down. This might not work all the time, but it has proven that it is one good strategy to execute in times of doubt specially when bitcoin price is high. Investing on altcoin with potential seems to be a good strategy too, you can also use it if you want.

Thank you for you answer! Smiley
For now I didn't invest in Btc, but I'm planning to!
It completely depends if you're planning on holding for long term or short term. If you're planning on holding long term, why does the current price matter? If you're expecting it to go up in the future then you'll be fine with any price around $5,000-$10,000. Short term is another different story though, probably wait for a correction.
I would prefer a long term investment, but I'm scared that after the fork, the price may not go up.
So according to what you told me, an investment split between valuable altcoin and Btc may be a good strategy
DarnellL

Activity: 34

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 03:44:02 PM

If you're interested in a long-term strategy, I'd suggest you a very simple conservative strategy:

1. Split your investment into top10 coins by market cap. You get lower risk and average profit.
2. Rebalance your portfolio once in a month.
3. Enjoy
flowpify (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 04:33:01 PM

That seems to be the safest way to approach things for me. I think this is what I will go for, but I'll wait the fork to buy some BTC, it seems safer for now.
Thanks for the advice Smiley
p3rplexamous

Activity: 95
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 05:10:09 PM

Its impossible to know how the markets will react in situations like the upcoming events as this is still such a new phenomenon.  During that last BCH fork, you would think that when the split happened, BCH's value would be taken off of the BTC value, however this did not happen and BTC skyrocketed to over 2k.  IMO that this happens because contention causes uncertainty, but the great thing about Bitcoin is, any contentious parties can fork and follow their own ideas for the best direction.  This results in the price going up on the original chain because you have less contentious people slowing down progress.  I think you will see the same thing with Segwit fork coming up, however this one is different as the B2X folks think its an upgrade and not a fork into an altcoin, so they are not implementing replay protection. 

TLDR: In the short term, who knows what will happen, but in the long term, Bitcoin will continue to rise and outshine all other alts as institutional money starts coming in as an result of the CME Groups Bitcoin Futures markets opening by the end of the year.
flowpify (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:03:49 AM

Its impossible to know how the markets will react in situations like the upcoming events as this is still such a new phenomenon.  During that last BCH fork, you would think that when the split happened, BCH's value would be taken off of the BTC value, however this did not happen and BTC skyrocketed to over 2k.  IMO that this happens because contention causes uncertainty, but the great thing about Bitcoin is, any contentious parties can fork and follow their own ideas for the best direction.  This results in the price going up on the original chain because you have less contentious people slowing down progress.  I think you will see the same thing with Segwit fork coming up, however this one is different as the B2X folks think its an upgrade and not a fork into an altcoin, so they are not implementing replay protection.  

TLDR: In the short term, who knows what will happen, but in the long term, Bitcoin will continue to rise and outshine all other alts as institutional money starts coming in as an result of the CME Groups Bitcoin Futures markets opening by the end of the year.

Thank you for your advice, it's very enlightening to read all your feedbacks !  Cheesy

Well, now that the fork has been canceled, BTC prices are still volatile but it should quickly get on its feet. I think I will start buying some after things stabilize.
TriggerHappyCoin

Activity: 48

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:42:27 AM

If you're interested in a long-term strategy, I'd suggest you a very simple conservative strategy:

1. Split your investment into top10 coins by market cap. You get lower risk and average profit.
3. Enjoy

Sounds easy and logical. Except, what top10 you mean?
For example the top 10 of https://coinmarketcap.com/

- Top10 on Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations
- Top10 on Monthly Volume Rankings (Currency)
- Top10 of... ??

edit: Sorry, my bad.. English not my native language. You wrote it..
yndye

Activity: 616
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 10:51:49 AM

3. Enjoy

This is a good strategy also. It is not necessary that it should be the top 10 coins in coinmarketcap but what coins does he think have a future base on the projects, roadmap and developers. He can do his own due diligence and check the fundamentals behind each coin. He can do dollar cost averaging wherein he will buy a coin monthly or bi-monthly and then rebalance.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄███████████▀▀███████████████▄
██████████▀▀ ▄▄█▀  █████████████
███████████▄▄█▀  ▄███▀   █████████
█████████████  ▄███▀      ██████████
▄████████████████▀        ███████████▄
██████████████▀          ▄████████████
███████████▀             █████████████
████████▀               ██████████████
████████▄              ███  ██████████
▀██████████████        ██  █▀ ███████▀
███████████████      ██▀ ▄█ ▄███████
██████████████     ███  █  ███████
██████████████   ▄██  █▀ ███████
▀████████████▄ ▄█████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

▄████████████████████▄
████████      ████████
██████████████████████
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██████████▀▀██████████
████████▀    ▀████████
████████▄    ▄████████
▀█████████▄▄█████████▀
  Download on the
App Store

GET IT ON
Google Play
  ●  FACEBOOK
●  TWITTER
●  TELEGRAM
adam1230
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:17:47 AM

Its not complicated for newbies. Just Buy and Hodl you coins whatever it does. At the end you will be a happy newbie.
P.S. Don't buy shit coins Smiley
CodyAlfaridzi

Activity: 1708
Merit: 541

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:07:32 PM

Hello guys,

You should just invest no matter what happens with the fork. Chill, it's just some group of people who want to assert dominance into Bitcoin. Well you can see now such attempt won't affect much on Bitcoin. From now on you shouldn't see any fork as a serious threat. Just keep investing, add more Bitcoin to your stash.

I personally would stay away from altcoins because most are just pump and dump, gaining hype, spread rumors and sell the news kind of stuff. Well some top altcoin like ETH and LTC is actually good, but the rest is something that you should avoid.

Its not complicated for newbies. Just Buy and Hodl you coins whatever it does. At the end you will be a happy newbie.

Gotta totally agree with this. Buy and hold works best so far.
evermotz

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:26:27 PM

Hold whatever it does,,, really not complicated.... But I think also not profitable, as newbies won't know if any coins is a shit one or not..

but investing in BTC or some alt like ETH, WAVES, LITE, XMR would be nice ~

Jurski

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:32:40 PM

It really depends on your strategy, but basically buy at dips and HODL
Portal Artikel

Activity: 113

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 03:36:33 PM

Hello, I'm a newbie on ICO Bounty. How can we get reward after we have done the Bounty Tasks such as rewriting the Whitepaper. I didn't get any information about the processing reward. Please share to me how the reward will be share with the bounty hunter.
Thanks.
flowpify (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:16:53 PM

3. Enjoy

Sounds easy and logical. Except, what top10 you mean?
For example the top 10 of https://coinmarketcap.com/

- Top10 on Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations
- Top10 on Monthly Volume Rankings (Currency)
- Top10 of... ??

edit: Sorry, my bad.. English not my native language. You wrote it..

From what I understood, it was top 10 based on market cap.

Haha amen to that. I bought several TOP 10 alt coin that seemed interesting from the research I did (ETH/NEO/OMG/IOT/XRP), with just a little bit of risk. For BTC, I'm waiting for the prices to stabilize to buy at the optimum price.
I'm planning to get some XMR/NEM but I need to switch to another echange platform for that (I was on Binance, and will go to bittrex, but I'll keep both).

flowpify (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:49:04 PM

Hello guys,

You should just invest no matter what happens with the fork. Chill, it's just some group of people who want to assert dominance into Bitcoin. Well you can see now such attempt won't affect much on Bitcoin. From now on you shouldn't see any fork as a serious threat. Just keep investing, add more Bitcoin to your stash.

I personally would stay away from altcoins because most are just pump and dump, gaining hype, spread rumors and sell the news kind of stuff. Well some top altcoin like ETH and LTC is actually good, but the rest is something that you should avoid.

Gotta totally agree with this. Buy and hold works best so far.

Wouldn't still be better to wait for things to cool down because of the cancelation of the fork ? Because since the annoucement, BTC price keeps going down, it may be interesting to wait for the lowest point to buy isn't it ?
WyattS

Activity: 31

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 02:40:10 AM

3. Enjoy

This strategy works if you believe that the entire crypto market will go up.  Considering that, what, 100k new coinbase users signed in a single day at one point, then maybe that's not a bad idea.
TriggerHappyCoin

Activity: 48

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 06:26:24 PM

Why not? Every month you rebalance the coin-spread. In long term this sound a valid strategy for spreiding risks
Ninja Sword

Activity: 176

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 12:03:26 AM

Hello guys,

in my opinion as a newbie, I'm waiting for the final result of the fork I keep my eyes on the news, on the social networks in everything related, while the investment in bitcoin, I chose the atcoins analyzing and investing, waiting for readjustments in the BTC!

█████████████████   ★   BITWIN   ★   Epic BTC Casino and Sportsbook - soon on blockchain!  ★  ███████████
██████████████   ❍ Whitepaper   ❍ Bounty    ❍ ANN Thread  ❍ Telegram   ❍ Social Media  ❍  ██████████████
███████████    ★  Pushing the boundaries of iGaming Innovation  ★  Join  Whitelist    ★"░ █████████████████
[centro] ╒═══════════════════ [url = https: //dexage.io/] DEXAGE [/ url] ══════════ ═════════╕
[url = https: //dexage.io/ico/files/white-paper.pdf] ██ WP [/ url] [url = https: //dexage.io/] ████████ Ecossistema de comércio de níveis ████████ [/ url] [url = https: //dexage.io/ico/files/one-pager.pdf] OP ██ [/ url]
Ur [url = https: //facebook.com/dexagetech] FACEBOOK [/ url] [url = https: //twitter.com/dexagetech] ◄ TWITTER ► [/ url] [url = https: //t.me/dexage] TELEGRAMA [/ url] ══════════╛ [/ center]
[centro]
●●● [url = https: //xpetroleum.com] XPETROLEUM | Construindo a Economia do Petróleo Confiante com a Tecnologia Blockchain [/ url] ●●●
[url = https: //xpetroleum.com] XPETROLEUM✔ Moeda Descentralizada ✔ O Maior Setor Mundial ✔ Segura e Segura [/ url]
● [url = https: / /xpetroleum.com]Website[/url] ● [url = https: //bitcointalk.org/index.php? topic = 5096885] Tópico da ANN [/ url] ● [url = https: //xpetroleum.com/docs/ WhitePaperXPetroleum_en.pdf] Whitepaper [/ url] ● [url = https: //t.me/xpetroleum] Telegrama [/ url] ●
[/ center]
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: