Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:19:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is SegWit2x Nov fork 100% certain to happen?  (Read 1529 times)
thinair (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:51:38 AM

I have been reading about the coming SegWit2x fork coming Nov 15. I have some idea that it seems the fork will definitely happen starting at block 494,784; it will occur as long as there are sufficient hash power to mine it (ensuring about 1 block per 10 min). If this B2X occurs, all BTC holders will have coins in both chains. B2X will be valuable as long as here are buyers willing to buy with fiat or merchants willing to accept it. I do know we have to take care as SegWit2x do not add replay protection.

Can someone explain if B2X is a 100% certainty on Nov 15.  I am not an expert. I have been googling but have not found a definite answer.   
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 6856

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 12:12:58 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2017, 12:25:39 PM by TryNinja

Like you said, it's for sure going to happen at block 494,784. The date is always uncertain. But it's expected to happen in November 15.

Read this article: With forks, the block matters, not the date[1].
TIP: One simple way to keep track of what block we are at is with blockexplorer.com. A block is mined roughly every 10 minutes, but this fluctuates (which is why one can only estimate the exact time a block will occur).

[1] http://cryptocurrencyfacts.com/block-number-matters-with-crypto-forks/

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
ORCAf

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 12:20:07 PM

Yes, it is all about the blocks. The forks date depends only on blocks. As someone earlier said: one block = 10 minutes (less than 1000 blocks left until segwit2x).
thinair (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 01:15:25 PM

Like you said, it's for sure going to happen at block 494,784. The date is always uncertain. But it's expected to happen in November 15.

Read this article: With forks, the block matters, not the date[1].
TIP: One simple way to keep track of what block we are at is with blockexplorer.com. A block is mined roughly every 10 minutes, but this fluctuates (which is why one can only estimate the exact time a block will occur).

[1] http://cryptocurrencyfacts.com/block-number-matters-with-crypto-forks/
Many thanks. I need to be dead sure as I am analyzing how this fork may affect price.

Another question. If I have bitcoins (an amount X before fork) in a trading exchange, I think it may be legally  bound to give me X B2X; they have to honor our rights to this new coins. Can it happen some "reputable" exchanges refuse to give us our new allocation of B2X?   
pebwindkraft

Activity: 257
Merit: 343

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 03:33:55 PM

Another question. If I have bitcoins (an amount X before fork) in a trading exchange, I think it may be legally  bound to give me X B2X; they have to honor our rights to this new coins. Can it happen some "reputable" exchanges refuse to give us our new allocation of B2X?   

getting greedy, what? Did you sign a contract to buy BTC/ETH/Monero/Dash with them? Or did you buy B2x to pay with BTC? Do you have the private keys? Have you tried to buy yourself B2X Futures? Or is it just that you want to get "rich" without doing any efforts?
Look, the majority is here greedy, and we all want to get the money from others without doing any effort. It's not a communism system, right? And if we know howto get the money from others, why would we explain to others ...
But if you turn your question around: "will my exchange XYZ provide the equivalent of BTC in Shitcoin2x?", then people might have better experience in replying to such question.
leonair

Activity: 1190
Merit: 388

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 04:28:06 PM

While I am typing this the current block of the Bitcoin network already reaches 493,645 so if Segwit2x will go through at the exact block of 494,784 then it is only 1139 blocks left until it happens meaning if 1 block mines every 10 minutes then it take 11,390 minutes or 189.83 hours or 7.909 days so if we count it, probably the Segwit2x will occur in late night of November 16, 2017. It is true that a new coin will have value if there are investors that will go inside of it as it needs for the market capitalization and guess what there are people who really supporting it.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
jnano

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 04:37:43 PM

If I have bitcoins (an amount X before fork) in a trading exchange, I think it may be legally  bound to give me X B2X; they have to honor our rights to this new coins. Can it happen some "reputable" exchanges refuse to give us our new allocation of B2X?
Check their advertised policy.
If you're worried, just move your balance to your own wallet (like Bitcoin Core) before the fork, and back to the exchange some time afterwards.
thinair (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 05:48:29 PM

If I have bitcoins (an amount X before fork) in a trading exchange, I think it may be legally  bound to give me X B2X; they have to honor our rights to this new coins. Can it happen some "reputable" exchanges refuse to give us our new allocation of B2X?
Check their advertised policy.
If you're worried, just move your balance to your own wallet (like Bitcoin Core) before the fork, and back to the exchange some time afterwards.
If the exchanges do not honor our B2X allocation, it is as much as thievery. 

We are now caught between a rock and a hard place. If we withdraw all our BTC and the market crash, how do we dump? Replenishing our BTC deposit may take a day or two. Extreme relativistic time dilation may mean a day is a year.   
thinair (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 05:54:50 PM

While I am typing this the current block of the Bitcoin network already reaches 493,645 so if Segwit2x will go through at the exact block of 494,784 then it is only 1139 blocks left until it happens meaning if 1 block mines every 10 minutes then it take 11,390 minutes or 189.83 hours or 7.909 days so if we count it, probably the Segwit2x will occur in late night of November 16, 2017. It is true that a new coin will have value if there are investors that will go inside of it as it needs for the market capitalization and guess what there are people who really supporting it.
BTC2x will have value. When it starts trading, there is no reference to gauge market price expectation. In a usual IPO, there is the issue price as a guide. I think now, we have to take the current bitcoin cash of $650 and the $7000 as reference guide. The volatility may be insane.
Bestcoin-fan

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 06:09:57 PM

The terrible 2x part of the Segwit agreement has been canceled at last! Lord has heard our prayers!

Donate BTC: 1EeAXetny8pdoAZ4gyhDwnoMUxoTNGyKSz
thinair (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 06:47:43 PM

The terrible 2x part of the Segwit agreement has been canceled at last! Lord has heard our prayers!
Just insane Shocked When everyone expect it to happen, it is cancelled.

I don't know about these developers and open source. What if some others announce tomorrow that they will carry on SegWit2x where others left off - after all it is OPEN SOURCE!

That's how impregnable the castle of blockchain technology is!

Epic case study of Centralized Decentralized Blockchain Open Source Technology Grin  
FoxSilver

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 07:24:52 PM

Jeez this Fork cancellation is making chaos on the market! I hope generally in a good way.

InsurePal - Distributed social proof insurance
Join Telegram | WHITEPAPER | Apply for whitelist | InsurePal.io
ICO starts 16. January 2018
thinair (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 07:56:03 PM

Someone from Reddit commented - Bitcoin's GREAT decentralized consensus decide by 6 developers who talked the market up from $500 to $7500.

Epic case study of Centralized Decentralized Blockchain Open Source Technology Grin 
cryptosipi

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:23:46 PM

Someone from Reddit commented - Bitcoin's GREAT decentralized consensus decide by 6 developers who talked the market up from $500 to $7500.

This is shady i feel like a huge market manipulation today.
But the segwit2x cowntdown still on.
Donot know what that means
thinair (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:40:40 PM

This is shady i feel like a huge market manipulation today.
But the segwit2x cowntdown still on.
Donot know what that means
Better say I am no expert. I really can't tell.  The news seems genuine as it is reported in all mainstream media. If they play tricks this way, then there will be no more trust about these Bitcoin thing.

Open source means everyone can start a fork. As long as the miners and trading exchanges collude and proceed with a group of new developers, they may again announce on the 14 Nov:

Segwit2x Is On Track
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 08:43:57 PM

Better say I am no expert. I really can't tell.  The news seems genuine as it is reported in all mainstream media. If they play tricks this way, then there will be no more trust about these Bitcoin thing.

Open source means everyone can start a fork. As long as the miners and trading exchanges collude and proceed with a group of new developers, they may again announce on the 14 Nov:

Segwit2x Is On Track
The developer of segwit2x along with several of the CEOs that supported it (and thus their companies) announced today that Segwit2x has been suspended. The full announcement is here: https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-segwit2x/2017-November/000685.html

will_k

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 09:41:25 PM

I have been reading about the coming SegWit2x fork coming Nov 15. I have some idea that it seems the fork will definitely happen starting at block 494,784; it will occur as long as there are sufficient hash power to mine it (ensuring about 1 block per 10 min). If this B2X occurs, all BTC holders will have coins in both chains. B2X will be valuable as long as here are buyers willing to buy with fiat or merchants willing to accept it. I do know we have to take care as SegWit2x do not add replay protection.

Can someone explain if B2X is a 100% certainty on Nov 15.  I am not an expert. I have been googling but have not found a definite answer.   

It seems like it canceled .
but there are some people still saying it will happen.
i donot know what kind of market manipulation is going on.
but i am smelling some shady tricks here.

Maybe the segwit2x code is ready, but the cancellation statement probably means there won't be sufficient hash power to mine segwit2x and thus not able to start the chain at all

★☆★Syscoin - Decentralized Marketplace and Multisig Platform
Pay with Bitcoin, ZCash and many more
For more visit Syscoin.org ★☆★
jekjekman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 09:51:36 PM

Maybe the segwit2x code is ready, but the cancellation statement probably means there won't be sufficient hash power to mine segwit2x and thus not able to start the chain at all

You are right there that SegWit2x will not be pass just like Bitcoin Unlimited back then because there rumors that a large portion of miners will not supporting it to be implemented on November 16, 2017 or when the right block for it was reach but in case it'll not go through I think there is still a Bitcoin2x coin that will be available on the market no matter what.
desmodiAN

Activity: 164
Merit: 19

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:03:44 PM

which wallets will support the 2x? i think its a lost attempt to attack bitcoin core, but well if they give free airdrop (altcoins) and if really any exchange gonna trade them, i will sell them immediately
btcdevil
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1027

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:10:27 PM

Just now read in twitter about that SegWit2x is cancelled and it wont happen, whether it is a good news or bad dont know but market reacted and it is moving around 7k to 7.15k price. Whether to hold or book profit as i had purchased at 5k price.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: