Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:38:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I made a WordPress plugin to receive bitcoin tips from your blog readers  (Read 5394 times)
Terk (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:20:53 PM

I just made a WordPress plugin to receive bitcoin tips from your blog readers. It was inspired by another thread on this forum. Every blog post gets its unique bitcoin address for tips, which are immediately forwarded to a single address defined in settings. This allows for detailed stats of tips per post, so you know which texts your readers appreciate the most.

You can configure it to receive email notifications about new tips, display simple stats of post tips, and more features and coming soon. You can read more and download it on the plugin home page: http://terk.co/wordpress-bitcoin-tips-plugin/.

If you like this work, tips are appreciated, as well as feedback and spreading the word about this plugin (e.g. you can upvote it on reddit). I believe this plugin can be helpful in promoting both tipping culture and bitcoins in general. Let me know what do you think.

If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:12:20 AM

Awesome work!

For those of us who have been using the 0.1 version of this and have received tips prior to upgrading, is there an easy way to initialize the number/amount/average values to current numbers? Will they initialize correctly the next time I get a tip or will this only count tips it sees from here out?
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 02:16:42 AM

awesome...can this be used on wordpress.org or only on wordpress.com

Financisto

Activity: 632
Merit: 768

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

Nice implementation for Bitcoin community.

Congratulations!  Wink

LIST • ESCROW providers • Ranking & Scores available!LIST • FOSS BrainwalletsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
maco

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:09:06 AM

Have you already had 500+ people test out the plugin yet?

How are you collecting feedback?

I just made a WordPress plugin to receive bitcoin tips from your blog readers. It was inspired by another thread on this forum. Every blog post gets its unique bitcoin address for tips, which are immediately forwarded to a single address defined in settings. This allows for detailed stats of tips per post, so you know which texts your readers appreciate the most.

You can configure it to receive email notifications about new tips, display simple stats of post tips, and more features and coming soon. You can read more and download it on the plugin home page: http://terk.co/wordpress-bitcoin-tips-plugin/.

If you like this work, tips are appreciated, as well as feedback and spreading the word about this plugin (e.g. you can upvote it on reddit). I believe this plugin can be helpful in promoting both tipping culture and bitcoins in general. Let me know what do you think.
Terk (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:21:30 AM

For those of us who have been using the 0.1 version of this and have received tips prior to upgrading, is there an easy way to initialize the number/amount/average values to current numbers? Will they initialize correctly the next time I get a tip or will this only count tips it sees from here out?

No, it only counts tips received since installing the v0.2.0. I will probably add periodically syncing whole history in some future version - just in case something goes wrong with blockchain.info notifications - and then it would catch up with the previous tips.

awesome...can this be used on wordpress.org or only on wordpress.com

It works with wordpress.org. Not sure about wordpress.com as I don't know what is their policy to install 3rd party plugins. But it should work in every Wordpress installation where you are able to install plugins.

Have you already had 500+ people test out the plugin yet?

No. I think it's much less than that.

How are you collecting feedback?

This thread or comments on the plugin page are fine.

enmaku

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:28:44 PM

No, it only counts tips received since installing the v0.2.0. I will probably add periodically syncing whole history in some future version - just in case something goes wrong with blockchain.info notifications - and then it would catch up with the previous tips.

Since the current donation addresses were created by the 0.1 version and I'm assuming you're using callbacks to trigger the recalc would it be correct to assume that these old addresses which weren't set up with a callback URL will never sync up? Do I need to wipe all of the existing addresses and settings and reinstall the plugin? If so, I know you haven't implemented a one-click solution for that yet, but what do I need to manually delete from where to make that all happen?
18RATTT

Activity: 282

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:13:06 PM

nuff said !
http://coinwidget.com

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 09:19:09 PM

That's not a wordpress plugin. It doesn't even have the same functionality.

Still around.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:24:12 PM

How does it deal with sites that have thousands of posts when the blockchain.info wallet has a 400 addresses limit?
enmaku

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:35:11 PM

How does it deal with sites that have thousands of posts when the blockchain.info wallet has a 400 addresses limit?

It doesn't actually use the blockchain.info wallet. It uses blockchain.info forwarding addresses, which receive funds and programmatically forward them to another address. You can create as many forwarding addresses as you want. All the funds end up in one single destination address. The per-post addresses aren't used to actually store funds, merely to track where the funds came from.
Terk (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:43:08 PM

Since the current donation addresses were created by the 0.1 version and I'm assuming you're using callbacks to trigger the recalc would it be correct to assume that these old addresses which weren't set up with a callback URL will never sync up? Do I need to wipe all of the existing addresses and settings and reinstall the plugin? If so, I know you haven't implemented a one-click solution for that yet, but what do I need to manually delete from where to make that all happen?

Callbacks were created by the v0.1 with just empty function handling them which was doing nothing after the callback - with the intent to implement it in v0.2 and be fully compatible. I am however reviewing the v0.1 code and it seems that the callback URL was missing one of the parameters that are now required and callbacks created by the v0.1 might not be compatible with v0.2, sorry for that. The only effect might be that donations won't be detected and displayed correctly, but they still go to your destination address. I'll release next version around the weekend and will probably include feature to re-create all existing per-post addresses (e.g. to change destination address to forward coins to) so there's no need to manually deleting the current addresses (you can do that and new addresses will be created immediately, but then tips to old addresses will never be included in the stats; re-creating addresses using the feature will preserve previous addresses as well so their tips will be included in the stats).

This is a great widget and of course I were aware of it. It serves different purpose though and I think both widgets will be useful - just for different people/usage cases.

As enmaku already wrote, the plugin doesn't use blockchain.info wallet at all. It uses Receive Payments API which doesn't have such limits and is “designed to monitor millions of addresses”. One of advantages of using such api instead of managing a wallet is that there are no private keys stored in Wordpress or in the plugin at all - which is important considering Wordpress vulnerabilities history. Plugin descriptions still need some more info about how it works and I'll probably write some description or FAQ soon.

I already have some planned features collected from feedback which are both quite useful and quick to implement, so I'll be releasing next version probably around the weekend.

bitcoinpreneur

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 04:02:26 PM

I'm currently working on a suite of WordPress solutions for Bitcoin. The first plugin was submitted to the WordPress Repo and allows every blog author to store a Bitcoin address in their profile and then it automatically generates a donation block after every post. There is also a shortcode so the plugin can be used pretty much anywhere, including pages and there is a widget on the roadmap for single site blogs, publishers and charities. Also knee deep in development of a full digital payment solution for WordPress based on Bitcoin (also currently utilising Blockchain.info). Can't believe I only just found out about this project today, I did have an extensive search before I began work and didn't find much except external scripts. Didn't plan on announcing till the first plugin was out on the repo. It would be cool to connect on Skype IM or something to chat!
enmaku

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:18:25 PM

Callbacks were created by the v0.1 with just empty function handling them which was doing nothing after the callback - with the intent to implement it in v0.2 and be fully compatible. I am however reviewing the v0.1 code and it seems that the callback URL was missing one of the parameters that are now required and callbacks created by the v0.1 might not be compatible with v0.2, sorry for that. The only effect might be that donations won't be detected and displayed correctly, but they still go to your destination address. I'll release next version around the weekend and will probably include feature to re-create all existing per-post addresses (e.g. to change destination address to forward coins to) so there's no need to manually deleting the current addresses (you can do that and new addresses will be created immediately, but then tips to old addresses will never be included in the stats; re-creating addresses using the feature will preserve previous addresses as well so their tips will be included in the stats).

I don't mean to keep adding feature requests, but I keep having ideas... How difficult would it be to include a "recalc all" button somewhere that would trigger a site-wide recalculation of statistics in case something goes wrong with the automatic calculations?
bobbit

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:41:29 PM

Hi, I like this, but it's so huge...it's larger than some of my short updates Smiley
Is there anyway to set the size, or maybe a feature for next release?

EDIT: Ah, css
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 07:06:56 PM

Looks like a very nice plugin. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:04:02 PM

Gj Terk
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 05:56:40 AM

Installed this for a buddy of mine.  Doesn't seem to be working.  He's using the Kippis theme with Jetpack installed...SEO installed...and the Disqus commenting system installed.

Not sure if any of those are getting in the way?
Factory

Activity: 259

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:05:04 AM

Terk, I just want to say that your plugin is great. It is a simple concept that has the potential to introduce bitcoin to many people in an easy manner. Small projects like this will continue to spread awareness and the acceptance of bitcoin. Well done.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: