Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:51:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possibly Scammed I don't Know Yet Please Help  (Read 1079 times)
juicer25 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:07:38 PM

I put $115.05 on a moneypak greendot card looking to buy 1 btc and a member by the name of HelpPlease said he would trade with me I sent him the number on the back of the card and he said he would send me the btc once he loaded his card, once he loaded his card he went offline and I haven't received my btc. This is just extremely fucking cruddy. I really don't wanna get on a soapbox, but I am absolutely and entirely losing my faith in humanity, this 1 btc I was looking to buy was supposed to be for an investment to help me make money, I'm an 18 year old with not a single cent to my name and I don't have contact with my family or anything anymore and this is really fucking me hard in the ass, I just really don't get why people feel like it is okay to rob people like this.
"HelpPlease" my fucking ass "help please" nice name I should have known from the beginning this was going to happen you piece of shit
good99

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:12:20 PM

Sorry for your loss. there are always going to be bad people around, and you just happened to run into that kind of person. Use escrow next time.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:17:42 PM

Sorry Sad  In the newbie readme it says "do not trust people"  -- wise words there.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Rez

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 12:36:27 AM

Shit, that sucks.

Seriously, when you think of BTC, think of it as a handful of cash.

Then think about who you would be willing to trust that handful of cash to.

If you come into some more money, I strongly recommend looking at LocalBitCoins.com.  Probably the most trustworthy (and most often local) way to trade USD for BTC.

BITCOIN.SL Domain for Sale - ฿5.00 - Bitcoin Only - Escrow OK
lazydna

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:46:56 AM

I put $115.05 on a moneypak greendot card looking to buy 1 btc and a member by the name of HelpPlease said he would trade with me I sent him the number on the back of the card and he said he would send me the btc once he loaded his card, once he loaded his card he went offline and I haven't received my btc. This is just extremely fucking cruddy. I really don't wanna get on a soapbox, but I am absolutely and entirely losing my faith in humanity, this 1 btc I was looking to buy was supposed to be for an investment to help me make money, I'm an 18 year old with not a single cent to my name and I don't have contact with my family or anything anymore and this is really fucking me hard in the ass, I just really don't get why people feel like it is okay to rob people like this.
"HelpPlease" my fucking ass "help please" nice name I should have known from the beginning this was going to happen you piece of shit

you got scammed.

xfob

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:48:15 AM

I think you should just go through a reputable exchange. I mean even exchanges has risk let alone some stranger on a forum.
PeterB

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 01:05:38 AM

Ugh, sorry to hear this happened to you man... In the future you may want to use a trusted escrow.

Mine bitcoins with you mind!  Play poker at Seals with Clubs!  Now with mixed games, stud games, and multiple variants of OFC!  These games are not offered on any other bitcoin poker site!  Sign up with me, PeterB, as your referral and I can help you with eBooks, strategy and more!  PM me for more details.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:08:25 AM

The first time always hurts.  But anyone witty enough to avoid these things has been naive enough to be scammed in the past.

flavius

Activity: 154

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:12:03 AM

haha

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 01:56:41 AM

Yes, it does appear you were scammed. Sorry man, you should have known tho.. Not only is "HelpPlease" as scammy of a name you can get, but the guy was a noob with hardly any rep on the forums. Lesson learned.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
hasher87

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:32:34 AM

1btc = US$110 is a lot to lose for..

honestly, i would rather pay extra % for a reliable service than just doing a straight business. things like this can go sour most of the time
juicer25 (OP)

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:12:15 AM

thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it, I definitely learned a huge lesson, I've always just used blockchain/bitinstan cash deposit but that option is no longer available on those sites. What is the most reliable and safest way that I can purchase bitcoins now?
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:51:03 AM

Try purchasing in person with escrow on local bitcoins.com.  And be sure to post about that guy in the scam accusations thread to help others.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Juneteenth

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:53:53 AM

thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it, I definitely learned a huge lesson, I've always just used blockchain/bitinstan cash deposit but that option is no longer available on those sites. What is the most reliable and safest way that I can purchase bitcoins now?
but yet this user called me a scammer on someone i didnt scam. And he gets scammed? How much a coincidence. But its alright sorry for your loss. Should have used escrow.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:34:42 AM

Step one.  Take a few minutes to learn who on the forum has built up a reputation as trustworthy.  If someone tells you they are trustworthy or that they have a good reputation, that should be an immediate red flag.  It doesn't take long to see from someone's post history if they've been a reputable participant in the forum.

Step two.  Check out localbitcoins.com and see if there is anyone within a reasonable distance of you willing to meet face to face to make the exchange. If not, consider adding your own advertisement to localbitcoins.com.  (If you decide to meet with someone from localbitcoins, meet in a populated, public location.  Preferably one with at least a bit of security.  Take the same precautions you would if you were going to meet with a complete stranger to buy or sell something valuable (such as jewelry).

Step three. If you aren't going to meet up with someone, and you absolutely must do the transaction over the internet, use an escrow provider.  There are several escrow providers that are pretty well trusted throughout the forum.  See this list:

Escrow list
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716.0

Escrow in it's simplest form:

• Seller sends the bitcoins to the mutually trusted escrow provider
  • Buyer sends payment directly to the seller
  • Seller notifies escrow provider that he has received payment
  • Escrow provider sends the bitcoins to the buyer

If the seller falsely claims that they id not receive payment, then the escrow provider begins a mediation process.  He collects from each party whatever proof is available, then makes a decision about which proof is the most believable and compelling. If it is determined that the buyer is most likely scamming/lying about paying, then the escrow provider sends the bitcoins back to the original seller.  If it is determined that the seller is most likely scamming/lying about not being paid, then the escrow provider sends the bitcoins to the buyer.

For additional security, and less chance of being scammed by a really good liar that can convince the escrow provider to believe his lies, the arrangements can be made for the escrow provider to receive both halves of the transaction and then once all pieces of the transaction are under the escrow provider's full control, they can forward each piece to the appropriate recipient.  This adds some complexity depending on the payment method.

Some escrow providers advertise a specific fee, others do it for free just to help build the bitcoin community.  If the transaction goes well, and the escrow service made you feel secure that you would receive what you were due, a reasonable gratuity is generally appreciated.  This can be a flat amount (0.1 BTC for example) or a percentage (0.5% of the transaction for example).  Just consider how much the peace of mind was worth to you in addition to the convenience of not having to deal with MtGox or BitInstant, and then tip accordingly.
Perseus353

Activity: 125

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:05:23 AM

Scammers always play on pity -- and it's what all sociopaths do. First step is always to make you pity them.

Lesson learnt.

I know $115 bucks is a lot for an 18 year old, but you'll make it back. No reason you can't be in the game.

1CkV1H1CA67CjpG5QMxEgVU9tNto51DBHd
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:07:39 AM

Yes, "never send first, never trust anyone"
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:09:50 AM

Step one.  Take a few minutes to learn who on the forum has built up a reputation as trustworthy.  If someone tells you they are trustworthy or that they have a good reputation, that should be an immediate red flag.  It doesn't take long to see from someone's post history if they've been a reputable participant in the forum.

Step two.  Check out localbitcoins.com and see if there is anyone within a reasonable distance of you willing to meet face to face to make the exchange. If not, consider adding your own advertisement to localbitcoins.com.  (If you decide to meet with someone from localbitcoins, meet in a populated, public location.  Preferably one with at least a bit of security.  Take the same precautions you would if you were going to meet with a complete stranger to buy or sell something valuable (such as jewelry).

Step three. If you aren't going to meet up with someone, and you absolutely must do the transaction over the internet, use an escrow provider.  There are several escrow providers that are pretty well trusted throughout the forum.  See this list:

Escrow list
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716.0

Escrow in it's simplest form:

• Seller sends the bitcoins to the mutually trusted escrow provider
  • Buyer sends payment directly to the seller
  • Seller notifies escrow provider that he has received payment
  • Escrow provider sends the bitcoins to the buyer

If the seller falsely claims that they id not receive payment, then the escrow provider begins a mediation process.  He collects from each party whatever proof is available, then makes a decision about which proof is the most believable and compelling. If it is determined that the buyer is most likely scamming/lying about paying, then the escrow provider sends the bitcoins back to the original seller.  If it is determined that the seller is most likely scamming/lying about not being paid, then the escrow provider sends the bitcoins to the buyer.

For additional security, and less chance of being scammed by a really good liar that can convince the escrow provider to believe his lies, the arrangements can be made for the escrow provider to receive both halves of the transaction and then once all pieces of the transaction are under the escrow provider's full control, they can forward each piece to the appropriate recipient.  This adds some complexity depending on the payment method.

Some escrow providers advertise a specific fee, others do it for free just to help build the bitcoin community.  If the transaction goes well, and the escrow service made you feel secure that you would receive what you were due, a reasonable gratuity is generally appreciated.  This can be a flat amount (0.1 BTC for example) or a percentage (0.5% of the transaction for example).  Just consider how much the peace of mind was worth to you in addition to the convenience of not having to deal with MtGox or BitInstant, and then tip accordingly.

MODS, split this and sticky allover the forum

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
ph111

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:13:52 AM

Shitty people everywhere..Just use local bitcoins or find someone local so you can do face to face next time..Sorry this guy was scum..
nachi4890

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:49:15 PM

but yet this user called me a scammer on someone i didnt scam. And he gets scammed? How much a coincidence. But its alright sorry for your loss. Should have used escrow.

That's because you ARE a scammer Juneteenth. Like how you robbed me for $429.81 and NEVER sent the 5.2 btc you promised. My fault , I know. But PLEASE don't parade yourself around as an honest and honorable person when you CLEARLY are not. Anyone who cares feel free to PM me and I will forward you the conversation of the transaction that was suppose to go down

Hope you never have the opportunity to take advantage of anyone ever again
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: