Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:40:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Island Boot Camp  (Read 3568 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:30:22 PM

Could you make an accurate list of things and their cost (and your profit if there is any) that constitute of the 3 BTC?

Signature space available for rent.
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:22:31 PM

Could you make an accurate list of things and their cost (and your profit if there is any) that constitute of the 3 BTC?

No, of course not.  What a ridiculous request.  I wouldn't be requiring an NDA if that were the case.

I'm really not sure what motivates so many people from the EU to insist upon casting aspersions upon this project and demanding a minute accounting of 30 BTC.  Are you considering spending 1500 EUR to fly here and attend the Boot Camp, and that's the reason you are concerned about 3 BTC?  Or are you just trolling?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:37:08 PM

No, of course not.  What a ridiculous request.  I wouldn't be asking for an NDA if that were the case.

I'm really not sure what motivates so many people from the EU to insist upon casting aspersions upon this project and demanding a minute accounting of 30 BTC.  Are you considering spending 1500 EUR to fly here and attend the Boot Camp, and that's the reason you are concerned about 3 BTC?  Or are you just trolling?

Where did you say what the NDA is to cover?
What's wrong in people knowing that, say, x meals for x days makes up for 20% of the total cost, etc.

If you haven't noticed yet, giving more info would give you more credibility; just wanted to be helpful.

BTW. I found a flight for 1079 EUR from Berlin after a 3 min. search, definitely not considering it now, have fun.

Signature space available for rent.
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:27:47 PM

No, of course not.  What a ridiculous request.  I wouldn't be requiring an NDA if that were the case.

I'm really not sure what motivates so many people from the EU to insist upon casting aspersions upon this project and demanding a minute accounting of 30 BTC.  Are you considering spending 1500 EUR to fly here and attend the Boot Camp, and that's the reason you are concerned about 3 BTC?  Or are you just trolling?

I think you've misunderstood the sentiment about this thread.

It's my belief that there's a feeling you're trying to make a quick buck off the backs of the people you're trying to get to go to your camp.

There's almost no information on what this boot camp is all about.

Are the people going testing your equipment for you? Are you using the results of this test to refine your product which you'll be selling to people? In which case why are people paying you to test your equipment?

This combined with your other thread regarding buying an island makes it look like you're wanting people to just pay for things for you.

Don't get me wrong, if you're running a business, that's great but because there's no clear intention, it's really hard to know where we stand.

Noble efforts to build a community and building a business for yourself are two vastly different goals and it seems like you're building a business under the guise of building a community to me. That's just the impression I get. I might be completely wrong and I'd be happy to be corrected but right now it's not entirely clear what your motives are other than lining your own pockets.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:33:30 PM

It's my belief that there's a feeling you're trying to make a quick buck off the backs of the people you're trying to get to go to your camp.

I understand the sentiment perfectly well.  I've seen it over and over again in the Open Source community, for almost 15 years.

It's unfortunate that many people are unable to cooperate towards a mutually-beneficial goal.  If you are one of those people, please don't participate.  You would be a hindrance to Bitcoin Island.

I really have nothing else to say to those who think that 3 BTC is prohibitive.  Don't come.  Please.  I have made the barrier to participation as low as is realistically possible, but it's never going to be zero.  As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.  It weeds out the idiots who we don't want to be on an island with anyways.

shahgarpett

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 07:31:40 PM

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/meh.ro10588.jpg
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 07:36:07 PM

Are there a lot of tornados there? Not that I'm overly afraid of tornados but being sucked into the sky and living with Dorothy for the rest of my life doesn't sound appealing.

Inedible

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 01:11:47 AM

I understand the sentiment perfectly well.  I've seen it over and over again in the Open Source community, for almost 15 years.

I don't know what you're referring to here. I don't recall the Open Source community objecting to people making money with their software. From what I understand, it's actively encouraged.

It's unfortunate that many people are unable to cooperate towards a mutually-beneficial goal.  If you are one of those people, please don't participate.  You would be a hindrance to Bitcoin Island.

I still don't know what this mutually-beneficial goal is. What is that goal? Who benefits? I can see how you benefit and again I don't have an issue with you benefiting. I don't think anyone does. I just don't think your motivation is clear and if you need to keep that motivation hidden, that's also up to you but you can't then complain that people are complaining.

I really have nothing else to say to those who think that 3 BTC is prohibitive.

It's not prohibitive... if you're getting $310 of value. Right now I'm not sure anyone sees camping and helping you refine your product so that you can then sell it is worth 3 of any type of coin.

Don't come.  Please.

You don't need to beg me. I'd only be interested in coming and supporting you if I knew what you were doing.

I have made the barrier to participation as low as is realistically possible, but it's never going to be zero.

I don't think anyone expects you to run a business for free and I don't think anyone wants you to lowball your prices. If it's worth it, you could even charge more. Bitcoin is a currency, not a commune.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.  It weeds out the idiots who we don't want to be on an island with anyways.

So if someone can't afford $310 they're an idiot and you don't want them on your island? Charmed I'm sure.

Edited: For clarity

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Inedible

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 01:17:02 AM

[I semi-replied to this in another tab and forgot to submit hence the reply being out of order]

It's only a ridiculous request because he didn't realise you were building a business.

benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 03:08:42 AM

It's only a ridiculous request because he didn't realise you were building a business.

I've made it clear what I'm building.  I'm building a Bitcoin Island.  And I've made it clear why I'm not entertaining endless stupid questions from investors:

So, why does it still have to be a secret at this point? Just write your plan/idea.

It will remain secret until there is an absolute certainty of it coming into fruition without being co-opted by the cheerleaders of big government, or some hedge fund aiming to sell Bitcoin out prematurely, like half of Bitcoin projects seem to have already been.

benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:53:57 AM

So if someone can't afford (3 BTC)... you don't want them on your island?

There is absolutely nothing unreasonable about that.  And 3 BTC is just the first step, for those who can't afford a proper lot.

It's not even that expensive, when compared with events like Burning Man that require you to bring all of your own supplies and equipment, have much bigger economies of scale to work with, and will turn you away at the gates if you haven't brought everything needed to survive, including food and water.  This is downright cheap in comparison.

Regardless, I think I've done everything I can to make this accessible to as many interested people as possible.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:11:45 AM

So if someone can't afford (3 BTC)... you don't want them on your island?

There is absolutely nothing unreasonable about that.  And 3 BTC is just the first step, for those who can't afford a proper lot.

It's not even that expensive, when compared with events like Burning Man that require you to bring all of your own supplies and equipment, have much bigger economies of scale to work with, and will turn you away at the gates if you haven't brought everything needed to survive, including food and water.  This is downright cheap in comparison.

Regardless, I think I've done everything I can to make this accessible to as many interested people as possible.

That's not a good comparison because there's really good dope at Burning Man.

benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:19:54 PM

Post has been updated with a registration deadline of July 10th.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: