Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:42:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are alts dumping so hard now ? Advice please  (Read 597 times)
dllhg (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 08:50:10 PM

What a crazy ride.  

I had a lot of BTC I bought at an average of 4400.  Put about half into alts coins as prices dropped before the Bitcoin Gold fork. Right before X2 was called off I put another 25-30% into alts that were at rock bottom prices. X2 called off and I went from negative 5-10% overall to positive 25%  Shocked

Thought I had played the market well. Sold my BTC near the ATH moved mostly towards the good alt coins.  Now just as fast as they peaked they have gone right back down   Huh  BTC is down a lot as well at $6440 and falling.  If Alts dump when BTC goes up shouldn't the alts keep pumping while BTC drops ?

Regretting not selling some of my alts when they peaked,  Was up 45% on some of them.  Have some decent sized bags left at 15% in the green. Should I sell now or just wait this out ?  Overall I am still positive but losing all that profit I could have had yesterday is tough.  

FYI my bags I am heaviest on are as follows

WAVES
LSK
ARK
STRAT
PAY
IOP
SYS
SALT
STEEM
OMG
ARDR
KMD

I have a bunch of others but 75% are tied into these ones.  Especially the top five of those.  

LSK, WAVES and SALT are the only ones I am still 10-13% in the green.  Should I dump all or part of them and try to see where it bottoms before reentering ?
PPleaseman

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 09:01:32 PM

Hello. I have similar tokens. I wouldnt sell. Your Portfolio looks good and should go up in the next 6 months. Dont know LSK,IOP,SYS, (never looked at them). But dont listen to a stranger on the Internet Smiley

Cheers
deniskiely

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 09:02:39 PM

Actually the biggest dump is Bitcoin cause of the canceled of Segwit2x Bitcoin.
anasso

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 09:03:52 PM

altcoins are dumping because people are jumping in bitcoin cash!

some people like john mcaffe are thinking that BCH is the true bitcoin! only time will tell us Smiley
Maren

Activity: 304
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:06:57 PM

What a crazy ride.  

I had a lot of BTC I bought at an average of 4400.  Put about half into alts coins as prices dropped before the Bitcoin Gold fork. Right before X2 was called off I put another 25-30% into alts that were at rock bottom prices. X2 called off and I went from negative 5-10% overall to positive 25%  Shocked

Thought I had played the market well. Sold my BTC near the ATH moved mostly towards the good alt coins.  Now just as fast as they peaked they have gone right back down   Huh  BTC is down a lot as well at $6440 and falling.  If Alts dump when BTC goes up shouldn't the alts keep pumping while BTC drops ?

Regretting not selling some of my alts when they peaked,  Was up 45% on some of them.  Have some decent sized bags left at 15% in the green. Should I sell now or just wait this out ?  Overall I am still positive but losing all that profit I could have had yesterday is tough.  

WAVES
LSK
ARK
STRAT
PAY
IOP
SYS
SALT
STEEM
OMG
ARDR
KMD

I have a bunch of others but 75% are tied into these ones.  Especially the top five of those.  

LSK, WAVES and SALT are the only ones I am still 10-13% in the green.  Should I dump all or part of them and try to see where it bottoms before reentering ?

If BTC tanks that doesn't mean alts will rally. Usually everything rallies together.

Now we're witnessing an aggressive BCH push, but as we're in a very small market, these movements that appear huge are actually quite reversible, quite fast. Pick the things you think have some merit and don't look at the charts for a while, there's killer noise in crypto market.

Lumin333

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:16:31 PM

There's a pump on BCH, well planned. Seems to be dumping slowly now and people will start buying up the alts again, they will gain a lot in the future, the ones with actual value for people anyway, like a lot you have chosen. Now is a good time to buy more while they are cheap, I would not advise selling them now!
serguvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:25:22 PM

C'mon, they're alts, they have no reason to dump so hard Grin
Moana

Activity: 298
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:27:03 PM

It is called "market". For every person who buys, there is a person who sells. Sometimes the ones who sell are more than those who buy.
dumplingsandsushi

Activity: 476
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2017, 10:31:53 PM

Wow! I think one of your problems is that your portfolio is was too spread out.  If you have significant amounts in all of those that must be stressful managing them, not to mention the potential for gain gets divided up significantly.

Since BTC went down, alts went down.  That's just how it is.
When you have bought a coin at a high price and the price crashes, really the best thing to do is just hold.
It looks like you put money into a lot of reputable projects so think long term, you surely will get gains next year.

I remember a post awhile back that demonstrated the importance of holding.
It was a screenshot of coinmarketcap in nov. 2016 vs. a screenshot of coinmarketcap today.
The difference is shocking.  Just take BTC for example, just one year ago it was under $1000! Crazy!

marks1976

Activity: 893
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:32:34 PM

What a crazy ride.  

WAVES
LSK
ARK
STRAT
PAY
IOP
SYS
SALT
STEEM
OMG
ARDR
KMD

YOu should dump some of your money to take the advantages from there. As you can see the altcoin gets decrease on its dollar value but not for the bitcoin pairs value. It caused by the dump of the bitcoin price. Because bitcoin has been using by a lot of altcoin to determine the dollar price.

▄██████
      ▄█▀██████
    ▄█▀  ██████
  ▄█▀    ██████
▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████
███████████████
 ▀█████████████

<█▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄▄

│   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄(▄▄▄
$▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ $▄▄▄▄▄▄: ▄▄▄▄▄
│   █
│   │   //█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄_▄▄▄(▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █████████▄█████▄███████):
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄($▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ - > ▄▄▄▄▄()) ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄:
│   │   ▄▄ (!$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄ !$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄) █
│   │      ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   █

▄███▄        ▄███▄
     ▄███████▄    ▄███████▄
     █████████    █████████
      ███████      ███████
       ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄▄████▄▄▄▄████▄▄
█████████▀███ ██████████████████
███████▀  ███ ██████████████████
       ▄█ 
    ▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄        █▄
    ▀█████████▀   ▄▄▄▄▄███▄
      ▀██       ▄███████████
        ▀              ███▀
                       ▀

P2P CASH
▄▄▄▄▄▄ Send money worldwide fast ▄▄▄▄▄▄

███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
████           ▀██████
████             ██████
████              █████
████             ▄█████      ▄
████            ▄██████    ▄██
████     ▄▄▄▄▄████████    ▄███
████   ▄████████████▀   ▄█████
████ ▄███████████▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▀         ▄█████████
████████▀  ▄▄███████████▀ ████
██████▀  ▄████████████▀   ████
████▀   ███████▀▀▀▀▀▀     ████
██▀    ██████▀            ████
▀      █████              ████
       █████              ████
       █████▄             ████
       ▀██████▄           ████
        ▀█████████████████████
          ▀███████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ safe an easy with P2P ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
P2P is the open source smart
contract platform
fully dedicated to
international money transactions

▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄
  ████████████████
 ██████████████████
▄████▄  ███▄  ▄████▄
█████▄  ███▄  ▄█████
████████████████████
 ▄████  ▄▄▄▄  ████▄

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀
███

███
██████████████████████████

JOIN

███
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
███
MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:47:18 PM

It is amazing because alts were having a nice week, i dont know why they are dumping so much right now, but those that i always liked are now in more than -15%, and this is a very preocupant situation.
I am so lucky because most of my portfolio is on Ethereum, and this is the only alt that has not been going down during the last few hours, this is amazing, but lets see how it will go in the next hours.
Maybe you should try to dump those coins that are useless, like waves, ardor, and iop.

Hello
cryptohorsee

Activity: 229

The Operating System for DAOs

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:59:41 PM

All market is bleeding right now. Everyone is buying bitcoin cash because there is a huge pump from the Korea. The volume is higher than bitcoin and it is almost 5 billion dollars. I think that it is new all-time high in terms of vol.

Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 11:04:52 PM

If you have bought alts on his bottom you have to be in profit,after strong rise alts are experiening correct,
bcc is also alt,bcc pump will also correct

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Indrawan77

Activity: 1274
Merit: 516

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 11:12:35 PM

Well it very common to see alt in a position like this, most of the time it is used by the whales to get profit, but this time the up and down mostly cause by the forking news, the forking will happened and then cancelled and I don't know whether it is going to fork or not, this sensitive issue is causing uncertainty for traders and the market in ruined
markint

Activity: 329
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 11:14:36 PM

The altcoins market has become so unpredictable that it continually gives us these kinds of surprises. If most of the altcoins fall when the price of bitcoin rises, but at the same time also tend to be dragged by the strong falls of bitcoin, will investments in altcoins have any future? I doubt it.
JamesIV

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 11:24:07 PM

just hold. I dont know why you this dump is hard. just stay long time in crypto world you will see many hard dump than this 1

dllhg (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 06:29:44 AM

Rocky road.  Was down negative 3 BTC at one point.  Then up 3 BTC after x2 was cancelled.  Then back down negative 1.5 BTC .  I held and now I am back in the green about half a BTC.  

My SALT, LSK and  Waves have all settled on 20-25% in the green thank god.  SYS ARK and ARDR are all in the 10% green level.  Strat is one of my heaviest bags and it is less than 1% in the green.... Have high hopes for that one.      

Someone commented on me having a lot of alts.  Yeah I think I am at 80 alt coins now if not a little more Shocked Is that a lot ? Grin  Only have a handful close to a single BTC some a little more.  Third of them are like .1 BTC.  I like to have it spread out.  

Awful thing is that a couple that really popped are ones I had sold or had like $20 in.  Xwc is one of them and it was up 80% Huh  One of the first coins I ever bought when portfolio was worth about $200 lol......  Ethereum Classic I kept a few coins and it is up 50% and holding......  I had decent amount of  BTS, EOS, NEBL all double to triple on me and cashed out 50% so I can play on house money.

I might just leave my holdings and try to stop looking at them.  Can drive you crazy. I saw a recent post where a guy was screaming he is rich now.  Didnt check an alt coin for like 6 months and now his tiny investment was worth about 10 BTC  (rich to him anyway).  I have had EOS triple on me and I wasnt watching it.  Was a great feeling having it go from under 1 BTC to almost 2.  Can only imagine how it would feel to hit it big and not have to go through the ups and downs in between. Had 2 BTC worth of Electroneum and when I saw the price of .21 I freaked out as that would have been worth 60-70 BTC.  Was shaking with excitement only to find they wouldnt release coins to investors and it was only miners driving the price   Cry  What a horrible feeling that was after being so excited.   This market is not for the faint of heart that is for sure. 
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 06:48:16 AM

What a crazy ride.  

WAVES
LSK
ARK
STRAT
PAY
IOP
SYS
SALT
STEEM
OMG
ARDR
KMD

All your ALTS are shit-coins, they will all eventually go to zero, none are buy&hold coin

Good alt is like HUSH or Zencash,  all these penny coins are shit that you own

Eth is a good alt, so is zcash, or monero they will hold

You hoping that one of your penny coins go to infinity, not going to happen,

So U sell your gold BTC, and you buy shit,

BCH was pumped, most likely by BITMAIN ( owners of BCH )

SEGWIT2 being cancelled is GOOD, most ppl wanted this thing DEAD, and didn't want NYA controlling bitcoin.

BTC has been jumping between 6500 - 7500 up and down for weeks, this is to be expected

BUY BTC @6500 MORMTIMER BUY

Good alts are not down, Zencash is up 20% for the week, only the shit-coins like bitcoin-z are down 100% for the week,

All the penny coins have no hope in hell of going to $100

BTG took tons of PR money to make that ICO rise to $500, most of the little ICO's are backed by nothing and their sponsors are not rich ppl,

All the cons you list above are just the typical shit-coin, that are a dime a dozen, there are now over 2,000 shit-coins on the market, but only the top 20 should you buy&hold

Fine if you want to day trade shit coins and lose all your money, good for you

But U BUY 10,000 shitcoins a dozen different flavors of 'shit' and wait a year, and chances are most will be worth ZERO, and NONE will be north of $1
jezus

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 06:53:31 AM

Check wc in cryptopia 1000% up.

█████████████████████████████████████████
██                                     ██
██ █████████████▄ ▀███████████████████ ██
██ ██          ▀██▄ ▀██▄            ██ ██
██ ██            ▀██▄ ▀██▄          ██ ██
██ ██              ▀██▄ ▀██▄        ██ ██
██ ██                ▀██▄ ▀██▄  ▄▄████ ██
██ ██                  ▀██▄ ▀████▀▀    ██
██ ██                    ▀██▄ ▀▀ ▄████ ██
██ ██▄                     ▀██  ██  ██ ██
██ █████▄                 ▄▄██  ██  ██ ██
██     ▀███▄        ▄▄██████▀ ▄▄ ▀████ ██
██ ████▄ ▀▀██ ▄▄██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄████▄▄    ██
██ ██  ██  ▀███▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀████ ██
██ ██  ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▄           ██ ██
██ ████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▄          ██ ██
██   ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀█ ██   ██ █▄         ██ ██
██ ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ███████ █████████████ ██
██                                     ██
█████████████████████████████████████████
LASER ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
BLOCKCHAIN WITHOUT BORDERS

A BLOCKCHAIN-AGNOSTIC SERVICE LAYER
FOR IMPROVED SPEED, ANONYMITY, AND INTEROPERABILITY
[]
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 06:56:04 AM

Check wc in cryptopia 1000% up.

Sure there are +2,000 shit-coins, so lets say you have $200K, and invest $1,000 in 2,000 shit-coins, and one of them goes up $1000%

That means you turned your $200k into $10k ... lucky you

It's all shit, and there is a 1 in 2000 chance that one of them will even go to $10, just study the history,

There are only 1/2 dozen front runners, and most forks trade at 10% of the mother, and only support 2-3 forks

I myself am a MINER, and I don't BUY SHIT COINS, and I don't MINE SHIT COINS.

But I do make MONEY, and I never lose money.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: