Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:22:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] Info leading to criminal arrest in ASIC Theft. Escrow via John K.  (Read 9307 times)
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:47:38 AM

no security cameras?

you might have better luck going around sniffing wifi packets, good 'ol wardrivin' Wink

I had a Foscam right in front of the Avalon. Unfortunately, it's buggy and resets every once in a while, pointing upwards. I have a video of my ceiling fan during the burglary.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
infoporter

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

Hardhat Required in This Area

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 05:53:26 AM

How would someone know your address from posting an auction? You need to figure out who knew you had this thing in your circle of "friends". Most likely you can ask around and see who gives a tell.

Vircurvault - The Heavy Duty Virtual Currency Paper Wallet (It floats!)
Coin Foreman | Virtual Currency Exchange | Reliable VPS Hosting | Domain Names for BTC
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:55:38 AM

Just like everyone else i'm wondering how thet got your address. Can you tell me how that is possible?

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
maco

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:59:16 AM

Think about? Who did you recently give your address to? and how public was your address, name, and phone number?

Sometimes all they need is a NAME from your eBay listing, and that's how a crime can start.

Hope you find the person. This does suck, and its crazy that someone would really do that.

Current Bounty
BTC50

Current USD amount of bounty

https://blockchain.info/address/1E36mb8tWuEarA9b99v179CoAkudoadzQS
Bounty is escrowed with John K. and open for donations. Please read below for more details

Bounty Details
I am offering a minimum of 50 BTC for information leading to the arrest of the individual that broke into my house and stole a Batch #2 Avalon ASIC. The burglary occurred at exactly 10:10 AM CST on May 31st 2013, 2.5 days after listing on the forums and eBay. I live in North DFW, in an area with one of the lowest crime rates in America, so this is not a coincidence. I have kept quiet about the burglary while police investigate, but I feel now is the time to take action and provide a little incentive for catching the criminal.

I want to stress that the primary goal of this bounty is not to retrieve my Avalon, but to ensure the criminal who invaded my house and privacy serves due time in prison, and prevent this from happening to anyone else. With that said, I want to encourage those of you that may have purchased a stolen unit second hand to come forward with information about the individual you purchased from. The bounty is available to any individual that provides information leading to an arrest.

Who is eligible, how can you help?
Everyone is eligible.
  • Purchased a secondhand Avalon off of eBay, the forums, craigslist? Please contact me. If you are able to provide identifying information on the unit, we can move forward with locating the criminal.
  • Provide information on your thieving friend or someone you've seen bragging about stealing an Avalon. I can't imagine someone willing to break into a strangers home has close friends. Surely someone will be willing to rat their criminal buddy out.
  • Upvote on reddit. The bounty needs as much exposure as possible to attract an informant.
  • Donate to the bounty and help spread the message to lurking criminals that we intend to make sure they don't get away with major theft. I am not the benefactor of bounty donations, and donations can be retracted after each 30 day period(More details in Full Terms). In the event the unit is returned, as a donator, you will receive a percentage of the Avalon's mining power for the life of the unit(no less than 1 year)

Full Terms
  • Bounty is run in 30 day intervals, starting June 19th 2013. At the end of 30 days, I will decide wether to continue for another 30 days or not.
  • Donators have 24 hour period after each 30 day interval to retract their donation. In the event the bounty is called off, donators will receive a full refund. If you do donate, please remember to donate from your account(not Mtgox or another online account). This will ease the refund process if necessary.
  • In the event the unit is returned, donators will receive a percentage of the Avalon's mining power, equal to the percentage donated to full bounty.
  • Information must lead to criminal arrest of an individual connected to the burglary. This must be verified before receiving payment.
  • Bounty is escrowed with John K. John has been given specific information regarding the case and should only be contacted if you are uncomfortable with speaking me directly

For those of you with ASICs on order, or coming in soon, be careful! There are criminals out there willing to break into your house and take your property. It's easy to forget how much this hardware is worth, and what people are willing to do, when you paid a fraction of the current value.
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:59:32 AM

Just like everyone else i'm wondering how thet got your address. Can you tell me how that is possible?

It's possible they purchased something from me in the past, but I also had my house listed for sale. I never gave my address out publicly but I'm thinking it wouldn't have been hard to find me. Unfortunately, there is no short list of suspects here. I'm trying to throw as wide a net as possible with this bounty, and hoping someone is going to turn the thief in.

ShroomsKit

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:07:46 AM

It's possible they purchased something from me in the past, but I also had my house listed for sale. I never gave my address out publicly but I'm thinking it wouldn't have been hard to find me. Unfortunately, there is no short list of suspects here. I'm trying to throw as wide a net as possible with this bounty, and hoping someone is going to turn the thief in.

Right. Sucks. Good luck.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
threedrules

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:09:46 AM

maybe because im dutch but the first thing i thought that john stole something.
maybe change the subject like -> [BOUNTY] Info leading to criminal arrest in ASIC Theft. Escrow via John K.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:14:35 AM

maybe because im dutch but the first thing i thought that john stole something.
maybe change the subject like -> [BOUNTY] Info leading to criminal arrest in ASIC Theft. Escrow via John K.

dude i thought the same thing and thought, "damnit this place is really going to hell in these tough times."

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
titomane

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:18:01 AM

Hi

I'm no detective, but has to be someone you know or someone who did business with you in the past. I'm sure.

luck miner

SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:21:16 AM

How trustworthy is your package deliverer? Had any service men or other "strange eyes" in the house lately?

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
coinnewb

Activity: 155

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:43:46 AM

This does suck big time.  I'm sorry and hope you catch the intruder.
silverserpent

Activity: 83

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:43:50 AM

THAT SUCKS! my condolences too.
usually theft associated to someone you know (somebody you told/trust might have carelessly mentioned it to another)

sometimes, just an email address (around long enough) can link to a name or an address; so can a long-used/cross-site username.  a quick search for username showed all sorts of info... localbtc, 75013?

did you post (publicly disclose) when you received your Avalon?
Eric Muyser

Activity: 224

You can't kill math.

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:55:57 AM

Do you have any kids?  Wink

@EricMuyser | EricMuyser.com | OTC - "Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality" - Bruce Lee
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:09:42 AM

So have you had any viewings?

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 07:12:08 AM

Few ideas.

1) Identifiable codes/marks/IDs on the unit? Could ask Avalon if they'd have any record of such?
2) Clarify the position of ownership if someone discovers they've bought a stolen unit. By law it would be returned to you and they'd be out of pocket, so you'll need to give them a real incentive to report it [other than legal]. Sucks but its the truth. Ie you'll make sure they wont be out of pocket
3) Your mining details. When someone plugs the unit in, surely it will mine for a few seconds to your account, sending a few packets and location. Although I guess they could config offline first.
4) Get in contact with Avalon. They may have other methods of tracking or identifying the unit even we don't know about yet.

threedrules

Activity: 102

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:13:47 AM

or gps codes extracted from pictures you posted?
xinyou

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:17:34 AM

Sucks. Wish the thief good jail time
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:23:56 AM

So have you had any viewings?
About 7 while it was in my home. Police have all their info and are investigating. Nobody coming in knows what these machines are for but I'll admit I was a bit naive to think no one would consider robbing me. Risky and I figured I'd have it sold and out of my house by the end of the weekend. It's a hard lesson to learn but hopefully something good will come of this. I hope this at least gets people thinking twice about posting "my ... ASIC arrived" responses(like I did). A lot of us are very excited and want to share with everyone but it's not always the best idea...

ZeroPAiN

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:14:41 AM

Ahh man I'm sorry.
I too live in the DFW area.

My condolences out to you.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:41:08 AM

Sorry to hear that. I will install my backup D-Link camera and point to the avalons. All images ftp'ed to a remote server.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: