Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:00:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to "clear" cgminer memory of what card is in what pcie slot  (Read 3691 times)
mxc0bbn (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

Welcome to Miami!

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:05:05 AM

I mentioned in another thread that sometimes on Windows when you move a card from one particular slot to another cgminer still thinks that one card is in that slot even though it's a different card.

So for example:

I have a gigabyte wf37950-f43 (1.090v) on pcie slot for GPU0 an Sapphire 7950 (1.250v) in slot for GPU1, but if I switch their location cgminer still shows GPU0 (now the Sapphire 1.250v card) as having 1.090v...so how can I clear these settings so that Windows/cgminer reads the correct info for the new card in that slot?

I've looked around a bit, but can't find the exact answer for this...Any feedback would be great.

Mike

The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
InvalidSnack

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:55:45 PM

This occasionally happens in Linux (at least it has with me) and although there are likely much more direct/better ways to fix the problem, I have run into it 3 times while moving stuff around between computers -- and the "quick and dirty solution" that has worked each time was to simply reinstall the AMD/ATI Catalyst drivers again.  Also (again, with Linux) there's a command:
    export DISPLAY=:0 && sudo aticonfig -f --initial --adapter=all
That needs to be run whenever you change the number of cards, or the order of the cards (if they're not all identical), that reconfigures X so it knows "which card is which, and where it is, and in what order to load them," and stuff like that.

I realize you said you're running Windows, but I think at least the first part (reinstall -- or uninstall then install fresh, if necessary) is worth a try.  Like I said above, it isn't the most glamourous solution, and there has to be a configuration file *somewhere* that you could just edit if you wanted to do it "properly" -- but reinstalling the drivers will take you less than 5 min, so that's the troubleshooting step I would go with first, regardless of whether I was running Windows or Linux.

Besides, if you go start that process now ... by the time you're done, you will either have fixed your problem, or someone far more knowledgeable will have posted below me to explain why everything I just said was absurd "and what you really should do is XYZ."  So you'll have an answer (or two) to your problem in no time. :)   
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:28:20 PM

Go to CGMiner folder, delete the file that starts with scrypt and has a bunch of number and letters. I believe its a .bin file.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 09:17:07 PM

cgminer has no notion of pcie slots and doesn't keep a memory of them. It simply returns them in the order the bios tells it they exist.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: