Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:44:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox Account Claim Rejected Twice? What next?  (Read 3085 times)
Slimquick (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:13:49 AM

Hi,

I got a friend into BitCoin, (unfortunately), just before the Mt. Gox hack. He is still trying to reclaim his account. Apparently, he has submitted:

IP address
last balance
Dwolla info
other information

What could possibly be going wrong? Is there still a way my friend can reclaim his account?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Slimquick (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:22:09 AM

Could anyone help me out, please? I would appreciate the advice, very greatly.
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:24:13 AM

Is his information correct or are you just taking his word for it.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
Slimquick (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:31:45 AM

He knows how to use a computer. He just got his account set up before the hack, so I don't think he has forgotten his last balance. Let us presume the information is accurate. What now?
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:33:00 AM

email support ask why it was rejected.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
johanatan

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:35:10 AM

I am having the same issue.  I have sent: IP address, dwolla account number and approximate account balance.  Not to mention that several of my other accounts have been approved and all of them use an email address of the form:

username+UNIQUE@gmail.com

where 'username' is identical across all of them and UNIQUE unique.  So, obviously, it's the same person on all of the accounts.  [And this is the email account I've been communicating with them with].

These guys are either *really* incompetent or crooks (or perhaps still overwhelmed by the number of claims--unlikely in my view after an entire week!).

EDIT: And, I've gotten no notice of the rejection; just a couple of responses and then silence.

1GjRUzZfDCBHeCyJk6av3pXYS9VKjCvQTQ
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:35:59 AM

If it was rejected, there is obviously a discrepancy in the data.  Contact support, sure, but I wouldn't assume that he has his information straight.  Maybe his ISP switched him to a new dynamic IP between the time of the hack and now?
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:56:38 AM

These guys are either *really* incompetent or crooks (or perhaps still overwhelmed by the number of claims--unlikely in my view after an entire week!).
Even a MtGox employee's claim got rejected. Just keep giving more information.

johanatan

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:05:03 AM

Even a MtGox employee's claim got rejected. Just keep giving more information.

There is no more information.   I've given them everything that I (or anyone else for that matter) know about the account!!

SpaceLord

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:22:12 AM

I put in a claim within minutes of the claim site being up. It was rejected, and I heard all claims were rejected that did not include an account balance, which I had not provided because I wasn't sure of the exact amount.

Then, I opened a ticket on the support site, sent them an email with my estimated account balances, and gave them two different IP addresses I had used. It was then closed again without a response.

I reopened it a second(third) time, and it's been sitting in processing for 4 days now. I've even PMed MagicalTux here, and he read it and didn't respond.

I've given them:

20 character old password(highly randomized)
Two different IP addresses I've used
My account balance in USD(approx)
My account balance in BTC
My Dwolla account number

And I've heard nothing.

Seriously pissed off here.
johanatan

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:29:19 AM

Same.  I wouldn't put it past them to screw a few random (or perhaps not so random) customers to make up for the losses they incurred.

kloinko1n

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 06:11:38 AM

I shouldn't have had to claim, as the website said that people with a suficiently complex password would get their accounts back automatically.
But even a password like:     7L8(l^qDx*(_fSG!3n     apparently isn't complex enough.

So I had to reclaim, which I did.
Then the claim was approved but 1 day later my new password was invalidated and I got noo more responses to my requests!
johanatan

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 06:47:14 AM

I shouldn't have had to claim, as the website said that people with a suficiently complex password would get their accounts back automatically.
But even a password like:     7L8(l^qDx*(_fSG!3n     apparently isn't complex enough.

Then the claim was approved but 1 day later my new password was invalidated and I got noo more responses to my requests!

Same thing here.  Not quite sure if I was ever approved or not (as I had several accounts all being juggled) but I think I was.
And, my password was strong as well.

SpaceLord

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:12:12 PM

Same thing here.  Not quite sure if I was ever approved or not (as I had several accounts all being juggled) but I think I was.
And, my password was strong as well.

My password was similar to pJO*lD#d?e.\AP@TqiG., and I still have no idea why MtGox is ignoring me.
gentakin

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:19:04 PM

The thing about "only weak password accounts have to be reclaimed" is impossible, as the passwords are stored as hashes. Therefore MtGox can't know if a password was weak or not. So actually everyone needs/needed to reclaim.

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:23:42 PM

I am having the same issue.  I have sent: IP address, dwolla account number and approximate account balance.  Not to mention that several of my other accounts have been approved

Why would anyone want to have several accounts? Is that to circumwent the daily withdrawal limits? If so, that might be the case why it's rejected.

MagicalTux (owner of mtGox) is also available on freenode irc network in channel #mtgox.

I asume it does not help much to post here, you should get in touch with mtGox and check what's the reason the claim has been rejected.
kloinko1n

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:51:20 PM

The thing about "only weak password accounts have to be reclaimed" is impossible, as the passwords are stored as hashes. Therefore MtGox can't know if a password was weak or not. So actually everyone needs/needed to reclaim.
O wait, maybe you're right. Maybe (or probably, I did not make a screen print) it said something like that sufficiently strong passwords didn't need additional proof. However, my reclaim was not accepted without additional proof regardless of the complex password.

I asume it does not help much to post here, you should get in touch with mtGox and check what's the reason the claim has been rejected.
For me this is a great place to exchange experiences and to find out if there are other people with the same problem. Which turns out to be true.
In the mean time I'm trying to get mtgox to solve the problem, while ventilating my experiences, sorrows and emotions in here. Smiley

Ok, status update: They did get back to me, I got a new password, but only to find out that my 'pre-crash' balances were 'withdrawn'. No bitcoin address to where the BTCs supposedly were 'withdrawn', and no info about the 'pre-crash' USDs that were in my account.
I R R I T A T I N G
johanatan

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:57:47 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2011, 08:19:02 PM by johanatan

I think it had to do with the likelihood that other people (the hackers) would be attempting to reclaim.  If only one person attempted to reclaim a given account, then it is safe to assume that the password was strong and that the one person is not 'the hackers' (trademark).

I also fairly certain that no one else is even attempting to reclaim my account.

johanatan

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:58:28 PM

I am having the same issue.  I have sent: IP address, dwolla account number and approximate account balance.  Not to mention that several of my other accounts have been approved

Why would anyone want to have several accounts? Is that to circumwent the daily withdrawal limits? If so, that might be the case why it's rejected.

MagicalTux (owner of mtGox) is also available on freenode irc network in channel #mtgox.

I have multiple accounts so that my bots can have different strategies.  And I have sent several messages to MtGox (all of which are being ignored).

danglybits

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 07:34:45 PM

Mt. Gox has been ignoring my requests as well after providing:

0) Reasonably complex password
1) Dwolla
2) BTC balance
3) I had prior communication with Mt. Gox before the crash.

After my initial good experience (#3), I must say that I will never use Mt. Gox again.  He has effectively robbed me of $192.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: