Bitcoin Forum
August 16, 2024, 10:22:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox Account Claim Rejected Twice? What next?  (Read 3100 times)
Slimquick (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 07:11:41 PM

Bump because my friend hasn't yet received a response to his Mt.  Gox e-mail. Is anyone else still in this situation?
eleb

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 09:46:29 PM

The thing about "only weak password accounts have to be reclaimed" is impossible, as the passwords are stored as hashes. Therefore MtGox can't know if a password was weak or not. So actually everyone needs/needed to reclaim.

(not saying this is what is/should happen)

It's not quite impossible.  They can start with the assumption that all passwords are week, then when you submit your password for the first time, it can do the hash to see if is the right password, + also check the strength of the password at that time (since you just gave them the plain text password).

If it was a strong password they could unlock the account, if is was week, keep it locked and redirect the user to a claim site.
kloinko1n

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:14:05 AM

Bummer, I finally got a reply to my ticket, which was an answer to a question that I never asked, so I went to the #MtGox channel on irc.freenode.net and asked 'MagiclTux' (Mark Karpeles) about my disappeared BTCs and USDs. He told me they were stolen because someone hacked my email account. They will 'try' to recover them though and offered me a free yubikey.
No choice, I guess.  Undecided
johanatan

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:21:09 AM

The thing about "only weak password accounts have to be reclaimed" is impossible, as the passwords are stored as hashes. Therefore MtGox can't know if a password was weak or not. So actually everyone needs/needed to reclaim.

(not saying this is what is/should happen)

It's not quite impossible.  They can start with the assumption that all passwords are week, then when you submit your password for the first time, it can do the hash to see if is the right password, + also check the strength of the password at that time (since you just gave them the plain text password).

If it was a strong password they could unlock the account, if is was week, keep it locked and redirect the user to a claim site.

Also, one would think that a strong password would take the hackers longer to crack and thus there would likely only be one claimant for such accounts.  I highly doubt anyone was trying to claim my account simultaneous to me (esp. since it was a fairly small amount) yet Mt Gox still sent me through 4 weeks of hoops and tickets and so on.  Ridiculous!

1GjRUzZfDCBHeCyJk6av3pXYS9VKjCvQTQ
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: