Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:51:59 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Project "Bitcoin No Noise"  (Read 6905 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:14:59 PM

Then that's meta.

No it's not because we're not talking about improving *this forum* which is what Meta is strictly about.
So it is off topic. I have no interest in this, I want to hear about bitcoin, not a scammer's scam forum.

And yet you, admittedly thinking this is a scam (which is ridiculous as no funds will ever come to me), continue to post here, increasing its popularity. If it were a scam, you'd be facilitating it.

svbeon

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:21:19 PM

No, I am not. Calling something out is not fascinating it.

Here, you have the untrustworthy tag. On your forum, you will not. So it will help you scam.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:26:52 PM

The thing you are looking for is "the network effect". This community thrives because this is where the people are. I tried to use some other forums in the past, but since there were few other users it quickly devolved into interesting links back to this forum.
I'm not sure that's a complete explanation because as far as I know r/bitcoin has a comparable amount of readers but not a comparable level of discussion.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:31:33 PM

No, I am not. Calling something out is not fascinating it.

Here, you have the untrustworthy tag. On your forum, you will not. So it will help you scam.

The forum being proposed would require users to trust me in order to scam. Your point is illogical.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 04:54:41 AM

• The software will be a standalone C++ application, increasing the speed, scalability and security for everyone.
  • Messages in the system will be encrypted by default by the browser

The requirement that the server be a monolithic C++ application illustrates that you are an ideas man using the world's most popular Operating System. Nothing wrong with that, but I believe such a requirement will kill the project. Many OS's have a decent package manager that makes installing dependencies not that big a deal. Why do you want dependencies? -- Because saves you from reinventing the wheel; improving security and scalability for everyone. I know you were trying to use Bitcoin as a model, but it is not perfect. The database chosen did not scale well and was recently replaced. I would argue that the Bitcoin project is actually simpler than what you propose.

Here is a list a third-party libraries and utilities you may want to consider:
  • HTTP server. I know the HTTP protocol is not that complex: but I don't know why you insist on rolling your own.
  • Database such as Postgre SQL or MySQL. If you are rolling your own, you programmer better be good with data-structures or else it won't scale well.
  • OpenPGP library such as GPG.

I am also not aware of any web-browsers with will run C++ code directly. Maybe you can translate it to JavaScript, but that may be slow. I actually liked the concept of Java Applets back in the day: programs designed to run in a browser sand-box; and ask for permission if they want extra access to the computer (such as reading and writing files).

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:48:38 AM

How does it benefit a community to..

• ..give a moderator of an internet forum 6,000 BTC?
  • ..require moderators and moderation from anyone other than a thread OP?
  • ..have advertising forced on them?
  • ..have a trust system without rebuttals?
  • ..have a barrier on their activity requiring posts and time served in order to function in the community?
  • ..not have basic encryption for messaging and thread visibility?
  • ..be assumed as scammers instead of just untrusted?

Totally agree Matthew.

I'm not pretending to know all the answers and these questions I'm asking and more present individual issues all of their own, but this is what I am dedicating myself to for the rest of the year until we are able to create a forum for the community that in fact serves the community.

Sounds great, I'll be watching with interest.
OdinHephaestus

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 08:31:20 AM

Okay, so, node.js.  You stated in your OP that you wanted to create the server software in c++, that cool and all, but I think you will find node.js to be an easier beast to tame for this type of project.

- https is a default library, with webserver modules a plenty if your too lazy to do your own custom routing (express, flatiron, etc).
- bitcoinjs is easily implemented for generating wallets, tipping, etc.
- mongodb provides an easy data model and storage for all your data needs.
- crypto libraries are provided by default
- easily scale-able with the cluster and child libraries.

Not saying the performance will match that of a c++ binary, but will more than likely surpassed the PHP based model we have here, and would be my go-to if I was making this project.

Good luck.

Bitcoin: 1odinQ5YUdbfuopNF2D1FZRN8qcrC4y1L
Litecoin: LeodinXzG7CgHqPDZxaUgsDKUKBUu46qa5
lexxus

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 11:20:21 AM

Okay, so, node.js.  You stated in your OP that you wanted to create the server software in c++, that cool and all, but I think you will find node.js to be an easier beast to tame for this type of project.

- https is a default library, with webserver modules a plenty if your too lazy to do your own custom routing (express, flatiron, etc).
- bitcoinjs is easily implemented for generating wallets, tipping, etc.
- mongodb provides an easy data model and storage for all your data needs.
- crypto libraries are provided by default
- easily scale-able with the cluster and child libraries.

Not saying the performance will match that of a c++ binary, but will more than likely surpassed the PHP based model we have here, and would be my go-to if I was making this project.

Good luck.

Nodejs is the worst idea ever. Don't ever write any software in nodejs, javascript was never ment for this type of lifting. I would suggest java for this project.

Although I'm a big fan of Node.js, it is cetainly a wrong tool for this project. Better pick Java, Ruby or Python.
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 12:57:00 PM

I wonder if the forum can include tools that make the economics of bit coin easier.  Things like 2 of 3 key generation for escrow so noobs can easily do escrow.

What do you think MNW?

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:24:53 PM

Should the forum software be a distributed p2p network in itself, like Diaspora, so it wouldn't be as easy to take down / manipulate?
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 01:56:48 PM

Should the forum software be a distributed p2p network in itself, like Diaspora, so it wouldn't be as easy to take down / manipulate?

I completely forgot about Diaspora*. They might have some good ideas worth stealing.

Still around.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 09:12:50 PM

I wonder if the forum can include tools that make the economics of bit coin easier.  Things like 2 of 3 key generation for escrow so noobs can easily do escrow.

What do you think MNW?

Seems like a solid idea, some sort of escrow system (if built correctly) would be nice to have integrated.

I definitely like that as well.  It would make it a lot harder to take down.

Also, I know MNW is banned though not sure for how long.  I wouldn't expect him to be responding to stuff here anytime soon.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 02:46:30 AM

Also, I know MNW is banned though not sure for how long.  I wouldn't expect him to be responding to stuff here anytime soon.

Sigh. With MNW it's always two steps forward, two steps back.

Matthew, I think it's time to admit you have a problem and enroll in Trollers Anonymous.

Still around.
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:37:34 AM

Matthew, I think it's time to admit you have a problem and enroll in Trollers Anonymous.

What was he banned for?

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:16:14 PM

What was he banned for?

Trolling was the reason, though I don't know specifically what he was doing to get it.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 10:13:09 PM

Also, I know MNW is banned though not sure for how long.  I wouldn't expect him to be responding to stuff here anytime soon.
What was he banned for?
I've been around this forum for long enough to say, the reason MNW has a high ignore count is unknown to me and is puzzling.

Granted He has a a loud mouth and often make bold statement to generate attention but overall the large majority of his posts were made with genuine, forward looking and good intentions.

The ratio of Bitcoin's complexity and potential VS. popularity and noise is getting out of hands.
I will support any initiative that try to improve the effectiveness of communications on the Internet.

Fun fact : The ignore color feature of this forum was funded as a bounty by me and MNW to the tune of 5 BTC each.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 02:52:56 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 03:27:44 PM by CIYAM Open

Please note that CIYAM Open will only support this effort *after* MNW has returned the BTC that he has promised to (private info so will not go into more details here or on any other topic).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 07:57:03 AM

Please note that CIYAM Open will only support this effort *after* MNW has returned the BTC that he has promised to (private info so will not go into more details here or on any other topic).

Fascinating! So you're agreeing to support his latest brain fart vaporware as a sort of scammed funds return insurance. Very clever indeed.

Matt, why don't you try building something we can use before you announce it next time as kind of a "refreshing change of pace" sort of thing. With that said, I like the idea in concept. If you can actually make it happen I'll be there.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: