Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:53:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Might not be a bad idea to sell off 5% of your stash..  (Read 628 times)
equator
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 03:06:15 PM

Already sold @$7300 a few weeks ago and bought back @ $5500 a piece. Already enjoying my stack as of now and I think it would still perform well next month given that CME is already locked and more and more institutional investors are being tempted to invest and try the markets. It's lovely to play with bitcoin but you got to have all eyes and ears on the news before you make a move.

It is so true that if you are in trading then you have to be very alert on all news as on every news the market reacts some time very fast and some time it takes time. But most of them try to do trading, they sell on high but when the market falls they dont recover as they expect more fall and when market moves back to old high price they just feel sorry. I dont hold all my earning in investment i just put small percentage in investment and balance i just convert in fiat currency and use it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
waynechong1995

Activity: 644
Merit: 117

swing!

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 03:22:41 PM

Viable strategy judging from its current price trend, go to sleep and the moment you check + - 5% is almost certain, good to have stocks of BTC to play with the market though, i see frequent trader just set up both buy and sell walls at the platform and it's easy to hit both ways and there is not much you could lose from, but still 8000 is a good number to take it off, but considering the fork drama ended it's likely to see some interesting movement, medias are controlling the news and still very unpredictable to forsee its stable price among these months.

AlphaWolf

Activity: 217
Merit: 120

Presale is live!

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:20:36 PM

And put up a buy at 4-8 fold under the current price.

BTC goes up and up from here you don't see that 5% jump.

BTC crashes as it likes to do, you seriously increase your position. Furthermore support is added at lower levels.

I wouldn't sell anything anymore... time to buy the dip was under $6000. Bitcoin seems to be holding pretty strong above $6000 now that the Bitcoin Cash spam attack is over. Mike Novoratz bought 20 million worth of BTC on this dip. Institutional money is coming with CME next month. It would be stupid to risk your position trying to scalp the price right now.

This is also my position. I'm willing to wait and see how much it would be worth by next year that I'd HODL. I tried selling during a peak before with the intention of buying back during a plunge but that didn't work out.
Since chaos due to bitcoin cash has ended,bitcoin is obviously now getting stronger.Also,more people ae now returning to bitcoin and so,its price may start rising.

Yeah. It hit an all-time high of $7998 a few hours ago. It would have been really tempting to sell at that price and then wait for a drop to spend that money. If anything though, it just showed how much higher btc can go.

Idk man. Yes if you have been holding for more than 3 years, but that's rare. If you have been holding recently just hold a little while longer as you are going to start seeing crazy gains because the demand is huge right now, but the supply is becoming more and more limited which is going to drive the price up extremely high in the not so distant future.

Shenzou

Activity: 1400
Merit: 283

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:27:51 PM

With the price proving to be able to start climbing up again after a drop last week, it would be a bad idea to start selling now, bitcoin have a high chance of reaching 10k before the end of the year, since it had a huge popularity this year with its famous price increase people have been trying to get a hold of it as much as they and this created a huge demand, but then again we don't know for sure, after all this is crypto world and it is hard to predict.
nightmanisrightman

Activity: 252
Merit: 101

Global Risk Exchange - gref.io

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:58:13 PM

BTC crashes as it likes to do, you seriously increase your position. Furthermore support is added at lower levels.

The logic is solid but I wouldn't stop at 5% I would take a bigger shot at it if I felt I had the correct information. Like when Segwit 2x got canceled if it hadn't the day prior to the launch I was going to short bitcoin and sell off

a bunch as well but alas that plan didn't happen but I understand the logic you are using here. Quite smart and I will implement in the future when things seem predictable.

▐▐ █     GRE   ≣   GLOBAL RISK EXCHANGE     █ ▌▌
━━  ((     Whitepaper     |     ANN Thread     ))  ━━
Telegram       Medium       Facebook       Twitter       Github
amaral1977

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:13:11 PM

I do this from time to time. But usually it´s just big headache. I prefer to go slowly changing my Europapers into BTC. And do this kind of play with the part of my stash that is a hobby...mainly alts but some satoshi as well.

██████████ 
        ██████████████████ 
      ██████████▌▐██████████ 
    ██████ ████▌  ▐████ ██████ 
   ██████  ▐██▀    ▀██▌  ██████ 
  ██████  ▌ █▄▄█  █▄▄█ ▐  ██████ 
 ██████▌ ▐██████  ██████▌ ▐██████ 
 ██████  ███████  ███████  ██████ 
 █████▌  ██▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀██  ▐█████ 
 █████                      █████ 
  █████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████▄▄▄▄▄█████ 
   ████████████▌  ▐████████████ 
    ████████████▌▐████████████ 
      ██████████████████████ 
        ██████████████████ 
            ██████████ 

█████████
█████████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████████
█████████

EXCHANGES 

CREX24GRAVIEXBITEBTC

█████████
█████████
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
█████████
█████████
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:24:22 PM

Yeah. It hit an all-time high of $7998 a few hours ago. It would have been really tempting to sell at that price and then wait for a drop to spend that money. If anything though, it just showed how much higher btc can go.

Idk man. Yes if you have been holding for more than 3 years, but that's rare. If you have been holding recently just hold a little while longer as you are going to start seeing crazy gains because the demand is huge right now, but the supply is becoming more and more limited which is going to drive the price up extremely high in the not so distant future.

People from 3 years ago are probably in the same situation as us now. "OK, I've already held this long enough, would this go higher or this is before everything collapse and I should leave now?"

Max I would hold would probably be a year and then check how much I can take out.
sofi@

Activity: 238
Merit: 108

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:30:41 PM

Yes it's not bad in fact even I sell half of mine whenever I need money to finance some of my expenses. We must enjoy what we earned and at the same time save for our future and invest to something really worth and bitcoin is the best thing to invest while the value keeps appreciating it's better that you don't convert everything and keep some for a long term investment surely after few months or years you'll be surprise on what you've got.

voztata

Activity: 998
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 10:07:47 AM

It might not be a bad idea especially if you really need the money however I wouldn't sell off any of my coins unless I really need the money but if I still have some cash with me then the coins will just stay there because I'm also aiming for long term.
You know, sometimes I think– does anyone of you ever think that the right thing to do is save for an increase, and withdraw before a fall, and then invest it back during the fall? I have been doing this quite for sometime now and it’s really paying off, in fact I have to admit that it is one of the best strategies I have ever used that always benefits me in bitcoin. Also to answer main subject, I don’t see anything wrong with withdrawing just 5% of what you have saved.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1221

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 09:23:54 AM

I do this from time to time. But usually it´s just big headache. I prefer to go slowly changing my Europapers into BTC. And do this kind of play with the part of my stash that is a hobby...mainly alts but some satoshi as well.
Well speculating the market is not something I like. I prefer to HODL when it comes to btc and then sell it slowly at times making profit and reinvesting that profit when price is low. Be careful which altcoin you buy though. Most altcoins are good for day trading and short-middle term holdings. I am not hodling any altcoin other than ethereum and ripple for long term.

People from 3 years ago are probably in the same situation as us now. "OK, I've already held this long enough, would this go higher or this is before everything collapse and I should leave now?"

Max I would hold would probably be a year and then check how much I can take out.
It is true that many people who bought btc at 10$ had sold it when it reached 100$ - it because for them its 10times the original investment and most investors are not willing to take risks for more than 6-7 years specially when it comes to crypto.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:05:01 AM

It is true that many people who bought btc at 10$ had sold it when it reached 100$ - it because for them its 10times the original investment and most investors are not willing to take risks for more than 6-7 years specially when it comes to crypto.

when it  comes to selling to get the profit out, in my opinion it doesn't matter if you sell at $100 or even less, what matters is what you are going to do after you sold.

for example in case of buying at $10 and selling at $100, how much did they sell? did they buy back after the correction or after seeing $100 heading towards $200 and $1200?
these may seem like obvious actions that anyone reading this may say they will do the same. but in reality most people who sell after a rise and rise continues don't buy back because they think price will fall down so they wait a long time and miss out on a lot.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1221

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2017, 08:26:39 AM

when it  comes to selling to get the profit out, in my opinion it doesn't matter if you sell at $100 or even less, what matters is what you are going to do after you sold.
Why does that matter do you think? I think that depends on the trader's idea of trading and method of trading. They many be looking to get some decent profits and cut losses and then hodl the rest. A common method by most traders.

for example in case of buying at $10 and selling at $100, how much did they sell? did they buy back after the correction or after seeing $100 heading towards $200 and $1200?
these may seem like obvious actions that anyone reading this may say they will do the same. but in reality most people who sell after a rise and rise continues don't buy back because they think price will fall down so they wait a long time and miss out on a lot.
I will say one thing on this - Most early adopters of bitcoin were not happy when prices did not rise much. The prices have skyrocketed only recently if you check the graphs. Hence it is evident from the analysis that at that time people sold all the bitcoin say for example like you said at 100$ and banked that profit. They totally exit market and never came back - unless of course they came to know that recent price in bitcoin has seen a huge upsurge and then realized their mistake in not hodling.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:46:14 AM

It ain't a bad move to sell 5% of your portfolio now then set buy to your intended re-entry point. You are right that by doing so, you won't regret if it goes up or down. Still, it is better to take your capital and take some profit if you can, then leave some and just hodl it. That way you can hold it without worrying of the future price. It is also the safest approach if you are doubting bitcoin that is. If you have trust in it, just hodl and do not sell until you have gained hefty sum of profit already.
Fatunad

Activity: 2226
Merit: 347

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:51:10 AM

It ain't a bad move to sell 5% of your portfolio now then set buy to your intended re-entry point. You are right that by doing so, you won't regret if it goes up or down. Still, it is better to take your capital and take some profit if you can, then leave some and just hodl it. That way you can hold it without worrying of the future price.
Being a trader for how many years as of now and the main priority i do always aim is that i would really secure first my capital and re-roll on the profits that i made which i do strictly follow this implementation on my trading habits which turns out to be effective.There might be some loses but the important thing is that you would turn out to be profitable on the end of the day. 5% sell isnt bad even on 10% of your stash as long you can see that you are already on profits on such price range then it would really depend into a certain trader.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:57:37 AM

It's always good to do some risk management, so if you are in a good profit you should always take some of it and convert it to fiat, so even if the whole business go down you still end up having something.

I wouldn't consider selling 5% of your stash as a serious move, if you want to make a protection for your investment , I would have considered selling at least 30% of my stash.
Being a professional trader requires you to manage risks, and that will be a very good choice for a trader to make.
ZedMain

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 10:48:17 AM

Yes not a bad idea at all because then you will have money in real life at the moment and you will still have a lot in your online wallet and you can enjoy with the money you made from that 5% of your stash specially if your stash is very big.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 06:32:23 PM

There are probably fewer and fewer people like that now hopefully. The more people are willing to risk going into bitcoins then the better the price for people who are already holding them. I'm not entirely sure how much holding would increase the value for everyone else but I'm assuming the less goes around, the more expensive it will become even if hypothetically, all of a sudden no new coins are being generated.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:02:58 AM

I wouldn't sell anything anymore... time to buy the dip was under $6000. Bitcoin seems to be holding pretty strong above $6000 now that the Bitcoin Cash spam attack is over. Mike Novoratz bought 20 million worth of BTC on this dip. Institutional money is coming with CME next month. It would be stupid to risk your position trying to scalp the price right now.
Yeah I read that article as well, selling now or in the next year is going to be a mistake, billions of dollars are coming to bitcoin, I’m not going to sell now trying to earn a few hundred dollars when I will be risking losing thousands of dollars, right now more than ever is the moment to hold, those traders could make a fortune if they time the market right but for people like me that are not very good at trading the best thing to do is to hold.

That would be a great since bitcoins gather more possible prospect since many huge business names are keep looking for the use of btc, But I don't think selling some 5% of our balance is bad since we still have 95% of holding eventhough we do an little crazy sale on our btc bankroll. But I'm still aiming to earn from short trades since I have some percentage of my balance are intended for this doings.

Selling 5% of it is fine but at the same time we must not make an habit of selling our bitcoin just because, right now I do not need to withdraw my small holdings of bitcoin and I have no plans to do it, since I like most people once that money is in my pocket I have a tendency to spend it in useless stuff, so bitcoin allows me to save, invest and reduce my expenses all at the same time.
Ttrader

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:43:49 AM

No one ever went bankrupt from taking profits
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: