Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:19:45 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what is a fork?  (Read 1041 times)
pipoy5

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:32:39 PM

A fork is when you take the source code of a project and then create a new one from it independently. To make it short, It's when you clone a project to make another one with some changes.

The term applies to cryptocurrency but it can be about a browser, an operating system etc.
For example, Qupzilla is a fork of Mozilla, Mozilla is a fork of Seamonkey. Kubuntu is a fork of Ubuntu, and so on. It's just a term in software engineering

As related to Bitcoin you can read this to understand better what it's about: https://blog.coinbase.com/what-is-a-bitcoin-fork-cba07fe73ef1

Now I get it. I couldn't understand it even in seaching in google or utube for the simplest terms. Thank u
dubistnicer

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:46:04 PM

when btc or some other coins want to double their coin or make 2 rivals of each other fork occurs.
mayo2u

Activity: 325
Merit: 26

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:19:42 AM

when btc or some other coins want to double their coin or make 2 rivals of each other fork occurs.

No. I'm sorry. But that's not a fork. A fork happens when the community disagrees on what to do next. Do we increase the block size and increase the speed of transactions? But what about those with poor internet connection, etc...

There are times when competing interests cannot be reconciled.
rh154c0d3

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 01:07:20 AM

from all those links that the others gave it here, the only think I get for a simple words is, fork is just like "cent" of "dollar". cent in US is same money with US Dollar. So, Bitcoin as the Dollar and fork is just like "cent".
Or in other words, we buy a shopping voucher with USD, and then, when we buy something with that voucher it will give the same value than if we buy that thing with USD directly.
Fork is created for an improvement or make better strategy to deliver the coin just like that shopping voucher.

I still confused about that fork. I'm newbie but for learning things in this coin world, it really hard to understand it in short time. And also i hope there are sticky thread that discuss about ico,altcoin,fork,etc. the definition is really important, but I can't found that things in the sticky thread. So I try to open thread one by one that related to what I try to find out. It really hard. If I made a post, I don't want it because there will be other people said that i'm bounty hunter. Yes, I already read some thread about bounty hunter. those bounty hunter thread made me a little bit hate to start a thread just for asking. there will be some one will saying bounty hunter and that makes me harder to ask something here.

by the way, I have 1 deleted post by moderator that said my post was off-topic. I really hate that. No way I write a real off-topic. And as a no one, i can't reply the message that told me posted off-topic. How could I learn if my post a real off-topic or not? what's his/her reason said that post as off-topic or not.
ok,forget about that deleted post that I really wanna asked that time. So get back to the topic, Fork still hard to understand for newbie like me. Can anyone here give me some link to really learn about this coin world? every glossary, every words that related to this coin things. I would like to learn that can explain people like me with a simple words so I can understand it technically faster.
uberproteam
Copper Member

Activity: 60

Decentralized Freelancer Community

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2017, 02:38:42 PM

Fork is basically a copy of a software code in github. After forking a software you can edit parameters or add more code to create a software of your own.

nyteo

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 04:41:38 PM

The Fork word means split, there a split of particular coin such bitcoin to bitcoincash, ethereum to ethereum classic. those are the example from fork was happened on bitcoin and ethereum. Bitcoin source code modifications commonly known as fork. Such algorithms help to increase the space on the network block artificially and optimize its operation. In this case, the program is considered a fork only if the code changes in the blockchain system do not affect its authenticity.
MP4

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 10:01:17 PM

basic - click on link and read about what the fork is?

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/48517/cryptocurrency-what-is-a-fork/
Master Third

Activity: 161

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 06:13:52 AM

I have recently seen many people discussing about bitcoin fork,and I literally have no idea on what it is.
No trolls please.

In short, there's a split in the direction a coin is taking, so a duplicate is made of the blockchain and a new coin is created, the two can then go their individual ways.

Hello. I'm so happy reading this thread because this is one of the things I want to understand.
Just for clarification, do you mean fork is a duplicate coin or token from the original?
I am right?
Donceng

Activity: 251

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:38:31 PM

I often hear the word "fork" in this bitcoin forum but to be honest I do not understand what the fork means and what impact or benefit the forks are on this bitcoin.

is there anyone can explain it about what is a fork?
lakisc

Activity: 174
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:11:20 PM

are forks backed up by someone ? why are they expensive?
giocatoredellasfortuna

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:54:58 AM

I got it.

One question: do the forked coin share the same blockchain or have an individual network?
chathura

Activity: 117

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:14:06 AM

A hard fork is when a single cryptocurrency splits in two. It occurs when a cryptocurrency’s existing code is changed, resulting in both an old and new version. Meanwhile a soft fork is essentially the same thing, but the idea is that only one blockchain (and thus one coin) will remain valid as users adopt the update. So both fork types create a split, but a hard fork is meant to create two blockchain/coins and a soft fork is meant to result in one. Segwit was a soft fork, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, and Segwit2x are all hard forks.
zhirnov1

Activity: 13

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:20:03 AM

bitcoin is a good currency I think its not the who e will be able to catch up in the future I hope this will be the only currency around the world
Rate

Activity: 62

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:42:41 AM

A fork is when you take the source code of a project and then create a new one from it independently. To make it short, It's when you clone a project to make another one with some changes.

The term applies to cryptocurrency but it can be about a browser, an operating system etc.
For example, Qupzilla is a fork of Mozilla, Mozilla is a fork of Seamonkey. Kubuntu is a fork of Ubuntu, and so on. It's just a term in software engineering

As related to Bitcoin you can read this to understand better what it's about: https://blog.coinbase.com/what-is-a-bitcoin-fork-cba07fe73ef1

Now I get it. I couldn't understand it even in seaching in google or utube for the simplest terms. Thank u

Come on, I am banging my head around and this the very short answer but informative, thank you! You save my a lot of time learning what is fork all about.

Buy Bitcoin
alexward

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 10:01:18 AM

Yes me too
lakisc

Activity: 174
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:40:33 PM

so how can you claim a fork if you have bitcoin in a wallet like coinbase lets say ?
pd74

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:33:42 PM

I have recently seen many people discussing about bitcoin fork,and I literally have no idea on what it is.
No trolls please.

I also do not really understand what a bitcoin fork is, I've read from a blog, I remember a bit that bitcoin fork is a modified protocol or a blockchain protocol that is split into two or several parts. that's all I remember.

To know more about hard fork you should read this https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/guides/what-is-a-bitcoin-fork/

I have a question, If I pulled my bitcoins off of Coin Base before august 1st, into a hard wallet , how do I claim bitcoin cash or am i out because i listen to the panic? thanks for any reply's !
Cutieepooh

Activity: 106

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 04:46:14 PM

No trolls please.

Fork in simple words, cryptocurrencies need to be improved and undated at some point and which is beneficial for them for long term survival of currency.
cetel

Activity: 72

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 07:52:51 PM

Split
FinStar34900

Activity: 39

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 06:54:07 AM

A fork in software engineering is a branch in the version of the current software which takes a different path of development from its original, this is done in blockchain networks to when people have a divided opinion regarding the development of the blockchain or the direction it is supposed to take.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: