Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:16:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CGMiner 3.2.2 reporting wrong temp for 5770?  (Read 1930 times)
Joori (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

Just an average guy with an average job!

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 12:38:46 PM

So, I decided to slap in my old 5770 (flashed to 6770) along side my 2 7970's and after some mucking about having to hook up external power to one of the powered risers hosting one of the 7970's, I have the 7970's hashing away at full speed. A voltage drop caused the primary card to slow to a crawl, 2 cards with no power to the risers is fine but add another card in and I definitely needed more power than the board was giving...

Anyway, getting off track a little.. I'm using the latest version of CGMiner (3.2.2) and whilst tuning clocks on the 5770, I noticed that CGMiner was reporting a different temperature reading than what HWiNFO was reporting, a discrepancy of 12C! The GPU core seems hotter than what CGMiner is reporting. CGMiner is reporting correctly for the 2 7970's but not for the 5770... I'm wondering if this is a bug?

See for yourself. Check out the 5770 (marked out in a RED box) and compare it to the value reported for the Thermal Diode in HWiNFO... Disregard the fan speed, I dropped it to a low enough value so I could compare the temperatures easily. I have the fan on 85% atm and the temperature in HWiNFO dropped to 73C but there was no drop in CGMiner.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 12:43:41 PM

There appear to be 4 temperature sensors on your 5770. Cgminer only gets the one value offered from the ATI display library and reports it back. It seems the ATI Display Library is reporting back temperature GPU TS0 (whatever tf that is).

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Joori (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:08:28 PM

I just checked the reading with MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 10 and it's showing the Thermal Diode and not the TS0 sensor temperature.

**Edit**

Comment is irrelevant, I just thought it was weird seeing a different reading through cgminer Smiley

**Edit 2**

Come to think of it, I'm using 13.6 beta drivers so perhaps the issue is there rather than CGMiner. As you said the application is getting only one value from the display driver so perhaps the driver itself is reporting incorrectly, although why is MSI reading the thermal diode straight up.... If the library was spitting out an incorrect value wouldn't MSI also show the same value that CGMiner is showing?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 02:26:34 PM

Other windows monitoring tools don't actually use the ATI Display Library. They have direct access to certain registers and can read them which cgminer will never have.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Joori (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:55:45 PM

Oh I see, I thought cgminer read the same info. Clearly I was wrong so thanks for the clarification. Smiley
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:31:46 AM

I have many 5k series cards. cg/bfgminer does not read "Thermal Diode". It only reads "TS0"

Joori (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 08:25:04 AM

I'd imagine if my 7970's had more than one sensor it would read the TS0 sensor instead of the Thermal Diode. They're only the Ghz versions so no sensor on the VRM's. I think the 5770 is dying tho cause I just came back from the old's place after a few hours there and cgminer was reporting it DEAD. Weird electrical smell hovering around but neither of the cards are emitting that smell. *shrugs* if it dies, it dies Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: