Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:42:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet Recovery Services - for forgotten wallet password  (Read 63792 times)
walletrecoveryservices (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 07:51:25 PM

Hi
I have put together a service to help you recover your wallet password (for your encrypted bitcoin wallet) if you have forgotten it.
Refer to walletrecoveryservices.com
I hope this will be useful to someone.

(and before you ask, no, this isn't a scam to steal your bitcoins! Smiley)
Cheers
Dave

Providing Cryptocurrency Wallet, Password and Seed Recovery Services since 2013

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 04:51:57 AM

When was the last time that you checked that you actually correctly remember the passphrase for your encrypted bitcoin wallet? And that it can be successfully decrypted with that password, allowing you to spend your bitcoins? There are plenty of stories out there of people who have forgotten or misplaced their wallet password...
walletrecoveryservices.com

Gamah

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:18:11 AM

if it smells like shit....

...it's probably shit.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 05:35:00 AM

if it smells like shit....

...it's probably shit.

Indeed, often true. In this case, however, this is a bona fide service to help people who have lost their wallet passwords.
Similar to scripts used previously on this forum.
Have a read on the website, you'll see that I'm not suggesting that people send me their whole wallet (which would potentially allow me to steal their bitcoins if I was a dodgy character (which I'm not)). Instead, they can send me just the bits of the wallet information that allows for the decryption of the password, without exposing themselves to any risk of theft.

Cheers,
Dave

acs26

June 23, 2013, 05:35:41 AM

Hi
I have put together a service to help you recover your wallet password steal your wallet password (for your encrypted bitcoin wallet) if you have forgotten it you're to stupid too realize I'm stealing it.

(and before you ask, no yes, this isn't is a scam to steal your bitcoins! Smiley)

Sir. Dave Scams-A-Lot (My title is appointed by the King of Scams-Ya Island.)

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 05:44:02 AM

Hi
I have put together a service to help you recover your wallet password steal your wallet password (for your encrypted bitcoin wallet) if you have forgotten it you're to stupid too realize I'm stealing it.

(and before you ask, no yes, this isn't is a scam to steal your bitcoins! Smiley)

Yes, yes, very funny Smiley
However, in spite of how it may appear, this is a legit service. See my earlier reply. I'm not asking anyone to send in their entire wallet.

acs26

June 23, 2013, 05:49:38 AM

Hi

Yes, yes, very funny Smiley
However, in spite of how it may appear, this is a legit service. See my earlier reply. I'm not asking anyone to send in their entire wallet.

That wasnt made to be funny.
How exactly do you do ot, then? Where are reviews? Why do you have no trust, why do you only have 13 poats?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 05:56:11 AM

Without endorsing his service, I will accept as plausible the notion that you can extract just enough information out of a wallet file that would allow cracking the password but not accessing the funds.  The method of making sure only the correct portion of the wallet file gets extracted is the part that deserves good peer review, but I think the idea (possibility) itself is legit.

Basically a wallet is protected with a random number key, and then this random number key is encrypted in a special master password record that is encrypted with the password itself.  The random number key is generated when the wallet is created and isn't useful by itself for accessing coins without the actual encrypted Bitcoin private key records to go with it.  If you can rip that master record out of the wallet, you can crack at the password with no possibility of access to funds.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 06:00:54 AM

How exactly do you do ot, then? Where are reviews? Why do you have no trust, why do you only have 13 poats?

How is it done, technically?
Well, you can refer to this earlier posting, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=239665.0
where I briefly explain how the information in an encrypted wallet is stored, and some links to further reading for anyone interested.

As for trust, that will be a long slow process to build up, I expect. Hopefully the first few satisfied customers who regain their bitcoin funds will help!
Dave

dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:15:32 AM

Without endorsing his service, I will accept as plausible the notion that you can extract just enough information out of a wallet file that would allow cracking the password but not accessing the funds.  The method of making sure only the correct portion of the wallet file gets extracted is the part that deserves good peer review, but I think the idea (possibility) itself is legit.

Basically a wallet is protected with a random number key, and then this random number key is encrypted in a special master password record that is encrypted with the password itself.  The random number key is generated when the wallet is created and isn't useful by itself for accessing coins without the actual encrypted Bitcoin private key records to go with it.  If you can rip that master record out of the wallet, you can crack at the password with no possibility of access to funds.
That would be nice if you could upload a chunk of your wallet that the person brute forces. I'm sure all those spare graphic cards are useful for other things than mining! Wink
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:19:02 AM

I think this service, while very niche, can be quite useful and profitable. Too bad my lost wallets wasn't from encryption (that wasn't even a feature back then!), but rather from selling a computer.
RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:42:24 AM

Hi
I have put together a service to help you recover your wallet password (for your encrypted bitcoin wallet) if you have forgotten it.

Cheers
Dave

SCAM

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 06:52:21 AM

Hi

Cheers
Dave

SCAM
Hi.
Read up above further in this thread. See the instructions on the website. If you spend a few minutes, and have some technical understanding of the bitcoin wallet format, like Casascius, you may be able to understand how this isn't a scam, and is in fact a useful service.
Cheers,
Dave

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:10:36 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2013, 09:26:23 AM by molecular

Pretty cool idea. Thanks for offering a great service to the community.

Of course as casascius pointed out, someone sending you the extracted wallet bits necessary for cracking would have to make sure no info enabling access to funds is leaked.

After a while and some users have regained access to their funds, trust will build.

Instead of yelling "scam" all over this thread as a kind-of knee-jerk reaction, people should try to find possible flaws in the method instead (after they have actually looked at how this works).

Lazy scam-accusers are lazy.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:13:52 AM

SCAM

in other words: you fucking idiots didn't even care enough to look at the linked page:

Trust
Should you trust us with your wallet? Why won't we just steal your money? Good questions. If you send us your wallet, and we decrypt the password, then it would be possible for us steal the money that the wallet holds. (we won't, but you can't be sure of that). Fortunately, the design of the bitcoin wallet is such that you can send us just part of the wallet information. The part you send us allows us to decrypt the wallet, without giving us any opportunity to steal your money. See various detailed explanations on the bitcoin wallet design (google them). Refer to this page for more detailed information.

read this: http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/information.html, understand it and then come back and yell "scam" again.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 09:19:19 AM

Pretty cool idea. Thanks for offering a great service to the community.

Of course as casascius pointed out, someone sending you the extracted wallet bits necessary for cracking would have to make sure no info enabling access to funds is leaked.

After a while and some users have regained access to their funds, trust will build.

Instead of yelling "scam" all over this thread as a kind-of knee-jerk reaction, people should try to find possible flaws in the method instead (after they have actually looked at how this works).

Lazy scam-accusers are lazy.

Thankyou, Molecular.
You restore my faith in the bitcoin community. Grin

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:32:46 AM

Thankyou, Molecular.

:-). Awesome.

I can sort-of understand it though. Bitcoin can look quite a scammer ridden wild-west style place at times and a quick skim over your post certainly rings the scammer bell if you don't look any further.

It's interesting. On the one side you have all the scammers and con-artists, on the other hand I have met and dealt with a lot of honest, trustworthy and generous people in this community. Many of them I trust more than my local grocery merchant to not try to rip me off, even though they are a lot harder to get any kind of hold on in case of a problem.

I guess it's just a reflection of the "real world" after all, maybe a bit more extreme on both sides.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 09:41:36 AM

Thankyou, Molecular.

:-). Awesome.

I can sort-of understand it though. Bitcoin can look quite a scammer ridden wild-west style place at times and a quick skim over your post certainly rings the scammer bell if you don't look any further.

It's interesting. On the one side you have all the scammers and con-artists, on the other hand I have met and dealt with a lot of honest, trustworthy and generous people in this community. Many of them I trust more than my local grocery merchant to not try to rip me off, even though they are a lot harder to get any kind of hold on in case of a problem.

I guess it's just a reflection of the "real world" after all, maybe a bit more extreme on both sides.
Yes, absolutely. And I haven't taken offense at the aspersions cast on my service (or my character Smiley ). I myself would be skeptical of similar services. It is, in fact, really fortunate (was it planned?) that the structure of the encrypted bitcoin wallet is such that it allows for the 'remote' brute force decryption of the password by a third party without needing to trust that third party with all the bitcoin addresses in the wallet.
Regards,
Dave

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:43:32 AM

Yes, absolutely. And I haven't taken offense at the aspersions cast on my service (or my character Smiley ).

As you said earlier: Trust takes time.

I myself would be skeptical of similar services. It is, in fact, really fortunate (was it planned?) that the structure of the encrypted bitcoin wallet is such that it allows for the 'remote' brute force decryption of the password by a third party without needing to trust that third party with all the bitcoin addresses in the wallet.

How did you become aware of this possibility? I wouldn't even have thought of that.

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:47:02 AM

Scammer Fails So Hard

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: