Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:24:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet Recovery Services - for forgotten wallet password  (Read 63782 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 08:54:18 PM

Another thing is that they should create an opensource script that grabs the portions from the wallet that they need for a safe decryption. Because the script will be opensource people will have confidence that it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do and not anything else.

It really is easy enough to follow the instructions manually: pywallet --dumpwallet, edit human-readable dumpfile (remove all addresses except 2)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
walletrecoveryservices (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 08:16:59 PM

I'm currently working on several wallet decryptions.

Cool. Do they look like they have a chance of success, i.e. did the users provide helpful enough info?
Hi
Still working on the wallets. One of the 'customers' has some reasonable idea of the password, but also a big list of possible variations and alternatives. Some of those alternatives have required me to make some enhancements to the logic in the service to cater for that type of permutation.
So... no luck yet, but continuing to work on them.

I see that the 1 BTC is still secure. (I was a tad worried that I might have overlooked some aspect of the wallet format that might have lead to a vulnerability to the third-party trustlessness that I explained. Fortunately, it seems like it is all secure Smiley )
Thanks for your suggestion and help on this 'proving not a scam' process, Molecular, it has been really helpful.

Cheers
Dave

Providing Cryptocurrency Wallet, Password and Seed Recovery Services since 2013
erpalum

Activity: 351
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:31:59 AM

hello,
i sent you wallet mkey data, can you recover passcode from it?

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 07:40:00 AM

hello,
Hi Erpalum.
( I assume that you are the person who sent me information today using a completely different email name ? )
I shall try to recover your wallet, but your information on the remembered password is a bit skimpy, so we'll have to see...

Regards,
Dave

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:44:56 AM

hello,
Hi Erpalum.
( I assume that you are the person who sent me information today using a completely different email name ? )
I shall try to recover your wallet, but your information on the remembered password is a bit skimpy, so we'll have to see...

Regards,
Dave

you owe me a referral fee Mister.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 08:14:02 AM

hello,
Hi Erpalum.

Regards,
Dave

Tell you what...  If (and it is a fairly bit if in this case), I make any money from helping Erpalum, I will send you 10%.

r3wt

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:16:25 AM

hello,
Hi Erpalum.

Regards,
Dave

Tell you what...  If (and it is a fairly bit if in this case), I make any money from helping Erpalum, I will send you 10%.

i'm cool with that. Smiley thanks

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
erpalum

Activity: 351

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:28:11 AM

actually you was promoted by this person - escrow.ms
but i dont mind if you share your ideas and it helps.

r3wt

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:30:21 AM

actually you was promoted by this person - escrow.ms

Oh, really?

oh, i will add one more thing, if you decide against using my help, you might try the user "walletrecoveryservices" or something to that effect. he claims to have invented a program that can strip the public key out of wallet.dat files and use it to bruteforce the account with no possibility of stealing the funds. to my knowledge he hasn't proven that it works or is real, but he's made the claim. i'm not sure what his rates are either. if you do choose to use the walletrecovery guy, please be aware his account isn't very old and he could very well be a scammer.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 07:10:34 AM

Scammer Fails So Hard

Ok, let's harden the assumption he can't scam us.

I accept your challenge, Molecular.!!!
I have transferred 1.00 BTC to that address, 19xTYJg3i1YuoHtYqtNhXcer65K9wZ1n4b
You have published the details of that wallet above, so everyone reading this now knows the same details as the walletrecoveryservices.com website is asking for when it tries to decode a wallet.
There is 1.00 BTC in that wallet.
I can't steal it, and I do not believe that anyone else can either. Prove me wrong, skeptics!
If you think that the concept behind the wallet password recovery service is flawed, here is your chance to prove it, and earn some cash.

Here is the record of the 1.00BTC transaction: https://blockchain.info/address/19xTYJg3i1YuoHtYqtNhXcer65K9wZ1n4b

I'm trusting Molecular to return my 1 BTC at the end of this exercise... sometimes you have to show some trust to earn some trust... Smiley

Cool.

Money has arrived:

ok, so a week has passed and walletrecoveryservices PMed me wanting his 1 BTC back, so I sent it to him.

notice how someone used the 1ErroNQ... address? It was in the wallet dump I published, so anyone might've used it.

not so the 19xTYJg... address. The bitcoin seems to have been secure there despite me having published the wallet (omitting that address, of course) and the password.

Ergo, I'm quite sure walletrecoveryservices has no way to steal your money if you send him your wallet dump after removing addresses with money on them.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 07:56:09 AM

notice how someone used the 1ErroNQ... address? It was in the wallet dump I published, so anyone might've used it.

not so the 19xTYJg... address. The bitcoin seems to have been secure there despite me having published the wallet (omitting that address, of course) and the password.

Ergo, I'm quite sure walletrecoveryservices has no way to steal your money if you send him your wallet dump after removing addresses with money on them.

That was me (notice the address and public message). I just wanted to see how difficult it would be to extract the private key from the wallet fragment given the password (answer: fairly easy, just a messy hack of the the pywallet code).

As for the rest of the wallet. Its completely secure. Your only option is to brute force it, which is an impossible solution (the numbers are just way too large to be feasible, it would take until the end of eternity, then start again for an eternity of eternities kind of unfeasible).

Anyway the challenge was fun, I learned something about wallets and the various encryptions used  Cheesy

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 08:07:52 AM

I'm trusting Molecular to return my 1 BTC at the end of this exercise... sometimes you have to show some trust to earn some trust... Smiley

Cool.

Money has arrived:

ok, so a week has passed and walletrecoveryservices PMed me wanting his 1 BTC back, so I sent it to him.

I can confirm that Molecular has sent me back my 1BTC.
Thank-you very much, Molecular, for both your honesty (in returning my 1BTC), and your willingness to get to the bottom of whether the walletrecoveryservices.com service was trying to scam anyone.
Regards,
Dave

tlr

Activity: 86

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 06:22:42 AM

It would be interesting if you could create a "pool" of people's machines to crack (err... recover) wallets, and distribute the fee to them based on how much work they did. I imagine you could do something similar to mining pools.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 06:33:38 AM

It would be interesting if you could create a "pool" of people's machines to crack (err... recover) wallets, and distribute the fee to them based on how much work they did. I imagine you could do something similar to mining pools.

or similar to vanitygen-pool. cool idea.

I'm not sure its feasable. You'd have to find a way to divide up the search space and somehow make provable some subspace has been searched. This is different from vanitygen or mining where there are many solutions, not just one.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 11:21:04 AM

I'm not sure its feasable. You'd have to find a way to divide up the search space and somehow make provable some subspace has been searched. This is different from vanitygen or mining where there are many solutions, not just one.

Yes, I've thought a bit about doing this (splitting up the search space and making a public API to access it).
Perhaps in the future.
However, for now, I can just run up multiple amazon instances to do the same thing.
p.s. In response to demand, I now have added the ability to walletrecoveryservices.com to brute force crack the blockchain.info wallet format too. If you have a wallet.aes.json file backup (for your mobile or online account), then I can help you recover your password if you've forgotten it.
Regards,
Dave

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:36:38 PM

Yes, I've thought a bit about doing this (splitting up the search space and making a public API to access it).
Perhaps in the future.
However, for now, I can just run up multiple amazon instances to do the same thing.
p.s. In response to demand, I now have added the ability to walletrecoveryservices.com to brute force crack the blockchain.info wallet format too. If you have a wallet.aes.json file backup (for your mobile or online account), then I can help you recover your password if you've forgotten it.
Regards,
Dave

Does that blockchain.info wallet format also allow removing the keys that have money on them in the same way as the bitcoind one?

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 05:50:53 AM

Does that blockchain.info wallet format also allow removing the keys that have money on them in the same way as the bitcoind one?
The blockchain.info wallet backup format contains a sharedKey, various options, and (I believe) just the last used address. You can't separate the information in the same way as the wallet.dat format allows.
 So no, if there are bitcoins attached to that particular address, then they are potentially thievable. However if the bitcoins are on other addresses, then I don't believe that those addresses are disclosed in the backup. (afaik)

byte1

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:27:58 AM

PM'ed you about password retrieval.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 02:23:51 PM

The temperance and perspicuity you display is admirable.
The fact that such an offering could be done by an unscrupulous scammer does not make you one.
Holding the tool vs distributing it is an interesting choice.  Would you care to comment on that?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 06:15:11 PM

The temperance and perspicuity you display is admirable.
The fact that such an offering could be done by an unscrupulous scammer does not make you one.
Holding the tool vs distributing it is an interesting choice.  Would you care to comment on that?

I can state with some confidence this is no scan. He has some cracking power available, so it males sense to offer as service.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: