Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 01:25:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin price alerts for busy people  (Read 850 times)
btcmtl (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 03:54:16 PM

Hey guys,

My name is Marc, and I just created this side project that might interest some of you.  https://www.monitorbitcoin.com.

It monitors daily the price of bitcoin in your currency and only sends you an email notification if the price has moved 5% since your last email notification.  It's simple, but I've found it so useful.

Background story: I'm a long-term "buy-and-hold" investor, but I still couldn't prevent my neurosis of checking the price daily (ok, that's a lie, I would check it more than once a day).  Anyway, I created a small prototype and ran it for months... and I loved it!  I was finally able to relax and just let it ride.  So, I decided to polish it up and make it available, for free, to others who might also want to take a break from the neurosis of checking the price constantly.

Anyway, check it out if you want to receive Bitcoin price alerts, and please leave me your feedback here. 

Marc

cheesyspoils

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:03:16 PM

If you do have invested some amount of money then it's not that easy not to be alert with it's price whether you are in it for the short or long term run of Bitcoin. Better make that investment worth it. Wink Wink Wink
btcmtl (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 02:17:52 PM

If you do have invested some amount of money then it's not that easy not to be alert with it's price whether you are in it for the short or long term run of Bitcoin. Better make that investment worth it. Wink Wink Wink

I hear you.  Especially when its as volatile as BTC.   Shocked

But I personally find I sleep better when I don't look at my investments day-to-day.  I want to be notified when my positions make big moves, otherwise I don't want to know that it's trading sideways for weeks.
heureca

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 02:36:19 PM

Hey guys,

My name is Marc, and I just created this side project that might interest some of you.  https://www.monitorbitcoin.com.

It monitors daily the price of bitcoin in your currency and only sends you an email notification if the price has moved 5% since your last email notification.  It's simple, but I've found it so useful.

Background story: I'm a long-term "buy-and-hold" investor, but I still couldn't prevent my neurosis of checking the price daily (ok, that's a lie, I would check it more than once a day).  Anyway, I created a small prototype and ran it for months... and I loved it!  I was finally able to relax and just let it ride.  So, I decided to polish it up and make it available, for free, to others who might also want to take a break from the neurosis of checking the price constantly.

Anyway, check it out if you want to receive Bitcoin price alerts, and please leave me your feedback here. 

Marc

What is the advantage of this project? We can use Blockfolio alerts for this purpose and also there is mobile application for Blockfolio. And also there is another applications such as TabTrader and etc.

██                                                     
██████                                                    
██████████                ████              ████          
█████████████          ██████████        ██████████       
█████  █████████    ███████████████   ████████████████    
█████     ████████████████   ████  ██████████  ██████████ 
█████        ██████████          █████████        █████████
█████         ██████             ██████              ████ 
█████         █████              ████                     
█████         ███████            ██████              ████ 
█████        ███████████         █████████        █████████
█████     █████████████████  ████   █████████  ██████████ 
█████  █████████    ███████████████   ████████████████    
█████████████          █████████         ██████████       
██████████                ████              ████          
  ████                                                    
/Distributed
Credit Chain
//
Empower Credit, Enable Finance
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
sherlock_h

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

Byteball: DAG, Built-in Chat, Conditional Payments

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:37:43 PM

People might find it useful, I had hard time looking for price alert services in the past.

⚪ Byteball (https://byteball.org/)     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email  -  Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments  -  ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1608859.0)          TELEGRAM (https://t.me/byteball)          TWITTER (https://twitter.com/ByteballOrg)          MEDIUM (https://medium.com/byteball)          SLACK (https://slack.byteball.org/)          REDDIT (https://www.reddit.com/r/ByteBall/)
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:51:20 PM

Looks like a good idea.  Just a couple of suggestions though.

When the price of something changes, the percentages are biased to a negative price movement.  For example, if the price falls by 50%, it would then have to rise again by 100% in order to get back to where it was before.  Do you think you could adjust the percentages used based on whether the price has risen or fallen?

A easier way of doing this would be to just allow users to customise what percentage of price movement they would like to be alerted at, and allow them to set a different percentage for a positive price movement to a negative one.
btcmtl (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 07:02:01 PM

A easier way of doing this would be to just allow users to customise what percentage of price movement they would like to be alerted at, and allow them to set a different percentage for a positive price movement to a negative one.

That's a really good idea.  I was going to make the percentage customizable in a later update, but I think you're right about having two different percentages based on the direction.  That's a better solution.

Thanks,
Murloc

Activity: 322
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 07:17:11 PM

Sounds good. Here is another idea for you: you can create an android or ios app (preferably with some widgets) that will monitor the BTC price and make sound notification after it goes up by 5%. That sounds more usefull.

cryptoimal86

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 02:10:35 AM

actually this a interesting project. but only problem is ,for busy people, will there any time to spend log in to email and check mails several in times in a busy day. so I would prefer a mobile app.
zxl912157

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 02:13:20 AM

People might find it useful, I had hard time looking for price alert services in the past.
If one is free then that is the main one. I'm not sure this will work and they ask for donations or information they provide.
it sounds weird, to see the price of Bitcoin does not require a paid app. Wherever you can do it and it's very easy.
jonathan6655321

Activity: 286
Merit: 23

GuerrillaBuzz ICO/STO/IEO Marketing and PR company

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 09:33:49 AM

simple and clean. i like it. good luck with your project.
will follow this one

GuerrillaBuzz: Blockchain, Crypto & Web3 PR Agency

GuerrillaBuzz is a leading blockchain PR, crypto, Web3 marketing agency. Trusted by CoinGecko, BRD, Bancor, AAX, Telos.
https://guerrillabuzz.com/
f80

Activity: 130
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 10:05:45 AM

I like the idea, and if you decide to make an app, I'd give people the option that they can choose the % change on their own, not just set it to 5%, especially not now when the btc is so volatile.
yamortsac

Activity: 154
Merit: 111

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 01:55:31 PM

actually this a interesting project. but only problem is ,for busy people, will there any time to spend log in to email and check mails several in times in a busy day. so I would prefer a mobile app.

yes i agree, with this kind of project, i think it is better if it's a mobile app because you can set your own % you want and easy to use. Checking in your email will also take some time before you read the alert message. But it's really a good idea in helping bitcoin users.
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 03:56:34 PM

Hey guys,

Marc

This is good for me as I have been missing some buying opportunities since I have no mush time and I cannot be looking at prices reaction every time. If I can monitoring coins price movement without clicking my mause I will really like it. There were time that I have been trying to stop worrying about bitcoin and ethereum price dumping and most times this make me lose money by selling off out of panic.
Norihiro

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

APOLLOX Protocol

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:37:09 PM

Hey guys,

Marc

My position is that there is no need at tool for such projects because we can be in touch with info via telegram bots. Also those who are need to be in course of information - are in course, and they need not only BTC's price, but also other coin's prices.

PERSISTENCE   //   BUY XPRT now!
●✦●───●✦●───  Protocol Powering Next-Gen Financial Products  ───●✦●───●✦●
│██ ██ ███ █████   DeFi    NFT    PoS  █████ ███ ██ ██│
btcmtl (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 01:49:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.  It's very helpful.

What I understood so far:
  • Some of you prefer a mobile app because you don't live in your inbox like me.
  • 5% fixed percentage feels too rigid and you want to be able to tweak it.
  • Some people are traders and need real-time alerts that they can use to time their trades (a daily email is too late)

I'm not a trader–I'm a buy-and-hold investor (a.k.a hoarder  Grin).  That's why a daily email is all I needed to keep an eye on my position.

What tools are the other hoarders using?
WorldBitICO

Activity: 130

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 12:46:06 PM

Hey guys,

Marc

Good project Marc.
cynical

Activity: 490
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 06:39:14 AM

Looks good. Neat idea.
Would it be possible to have the option to have an on screen alert instead of or with an email alert on a mobile version?

████          O W N R   W A L L E T          ████   VISA PREPAID CARD    ████  Use crypto to pay in stores with OWNR  ████
❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱ ❱     Buy, send, receive and exchange crypto        VISA   mastercard   SPA   UnionPay     ❰ ❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰
BLOG       TWITTER     ██ █▌█ ▌     Manage crypto and VISA card in OWNR Wallet app    ▐ █▐█ ██     REDDIT   YOUTUBE
Rifler

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:58:37 AM

Today emails are not very popular. Think about creating a Telegram bot. It has the same functions as the emails and easier.
paparexon0414

Activity: 432
Merit: 126

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:11:20 AM

Looks promising. but the thing is sometimes people didnt check email once in a while. Eventhough you are very hard working in alerting people it is useless if they will not check email.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: