Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:11:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to tell if powered risers are working  (Read 2654 times)
heartofalion (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:44:53 AM

Hello,

I have 5 Sapphire 3L 7950s on one motherboard with powered rises on all of them. 3 of them are 16x to 16x and two are 1x to 16x...i started having really bad stability issues out of the blue tonight on settings i had been using for the last week without issues. Drivers started crashing constantly (im on windows), so i re-installed the proper drivers and was still having issues. So i went to disconnect one of the cards and realized the 12 volt cable in my molex power adapter on the riser had come loose. I re-attached it and my rig is now somewhat stable, but still not what it was. (i was running vddc 1075, gpu code 1025 gpu mem 1575 all week)

Anyway I notice when i go into Trixx (overclocking software) the voltage on the 3 pcie 16x to 16x cards have a default vddc of 1.250v  (i am currently undervolting to 1.075v with gpu core at 1000 and mem 1400) but the weird thing is the two 1x to 16x default to a vddc between 1.116v or 1.160v. Is this because the powered risers aren't working properly? Here is the link to the risers I bought, and insight would be much appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/PCIe-1x-Extender-Bitcoin-Mining/dp/B00D35G02G/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1371981236&sr=8-23&keywords=pcie+1x+to+16x
namzycad3

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:11:25 PM

its not recommended, but my method is to touch the plastic connection of the 24pin connector. if riser not doing their work it will get pretty hot.

if its working ok it should have no heat at all
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:50:37 PM

The technical way to do it would be to use a digital multimeter to check if there is an electrical connection between the molex pin and the PCI-E pin responsible for power supply.

If you really wanted to be sure you'd break that connection somewhere along the power cable and put the multimeter in to fill the gap and measure the current flowing down it.
Kinetic915

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 07:38:11 PM

I had the blue screen crash error.  Make sure you have set your pci x16 slots to Gen 1 in your bios settings, also make sure the risers are AS STRAIGHT as possible without kinks.  This seems to limit instability and crashes for me.  Undervolting also seems to help.

Kinetic915

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 08:47:29 PM

The main probelm I have with risers it making the motherboard recognize the cards when on risers.  So frustrating,  like 90 percent of the time the motherboard will not post with risers.....

Once its running though it can go for weeks.... strange.

suprabitz

Activity: 148

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:52:45 PM

what board do you have? also are your powered risers sharing the same molex lines (as in separate lines to PSU)? i had one rig that ran fine for days then i messed with it and it wouldnt boot. all cards boot fine but when combined no boot. put the risers on separate molex leads and it worked fine since. seasonic 1050w power supply. whats crazy is i have some system using ocz 850w psu's and have them doubled up on molexes with no problem at all.

also if your psu is not single rail it could be pulling too much power from one rail. i would suggest a psu issue if its not posting. also i bought some risers cheaply made and the yellow would push partially or fully out when you plugged it in so i just plugged that lead directly into the psu molex for a tight fit
heartofalion (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:10:16 PM

what board do you have? also are your powered risers sharing the same molex lines (as in separate lines to PSU)? i had one rig that ran fine for days then i messed with it and it wouldnt boot. all cards boot fine but when combined no boot. put the risers on separate molex leads and it worked fine since. seasonic 1050w power supply. whats crazy is i have some system using ocz 850w psu's and have them doubled up on molexes with no problem at all.

also if your psu is not single rail it could be pulling too much power from one rail. i would suggest a psu issue if its not posting. also i bought some risers cheaply made and the yellow would push partially or fully out when you plugged it in so i just plugged that lead directly into the psu molex for a tight fit

Turns out one of my big issues was shitty drivers. This has improved my stability. I have two cards per rail with my 1600w LEPA and 1 card on the same rail as my HDD. Seems to be working pretty good now. I had the same issue with the cheaply made ones and the yellow cable popping out, if it happens again I'll do what you did and plug it directly into the psu molex.

Thanks!
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 04:59:46 PM

Feel the chord. If its incredibly hot its not working.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:30:56 PM

Feel the chord. If its incredibly hot its not working.
incredibly hot =  wire too thin, but working.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: