Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:16:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discard invalid transaction lying around forever  (Read 895 times)
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:28:51 PM

After what was I think a double-spend accident, I have an invalid transaction that my bitcoind keeps around forever, and I would like to "discard" it.
I'm not satisfied with some answers that I've seen here and there:

I'd like to find a clean way to do this, as it might happen again in the future while I'm experimenting with some code...

All this is on the testnet but I guess possible methods are common to main net too.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:33:15 PM

Pywallet seems to be able to do that, but I'm working on a (linux) machine without graphical mode and need command line tools only.
Did you try using Lynx? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29
If it doesn't work or if you can't for whatever reason I can make this possible with the CLI

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:40:27 PM

I'm not entirely sure to get what you suggest here.
Are you saying to use lynx in combination with the "--web" option of pywallet?

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:40:50 PM

Absolutely

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:21:33 PM

Ok, I see the the pywallet page properly with lynx. However I don't manage to delete anything, nor to trigger any action in fact.

When I try on a machine with graphical mode, through firefox, deletion of a transaction gives some info in the area "DATA" on the right.
I see nothing like that through lynx, "clicking" the button for deletion just sends me back at the top of the page but nothing else seems to happen.

My experience with lynx is very limited, so maybe I'm missing something obvious  Huh

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:31:21 PM

Ok, I see the the pywallet page properly with lynx. However I don't manage to delete anything, nor to trigger any action in fact.

When I try on a machine with graphical mode, through firefox, deletion of a transaction gives some info in the area "DATA" on the right.
I see nothing like that through lynx, "clicking" the button for deletion just sends me back at the top of the page but nothing else seems to happen.

My experience with lynx is very limited, so maybe I'm missing something obvious  Huh

I never tried using Lynx with pywallet so I don't know what behavior you're supposed to see. I'm not even sure whether it supports Javascript or not.
Did you check if it worked?
If not, I'll make a CLI command in around 3-4 hours (if I forget drop me a PM)

binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:45:45 PM

No, lynx doesn't support javascript. So at least, that's the reason.
That would be great if there would be something that can be directly run from command line (the same way as --dumpwallet), just taking the TxId as input (or "all"?).
I don't know how specific is my need here, I might take the time to implement this myself if you have other more important things to work on.

More generally, do you plan on opening all existing functionnalities to command line with some flags? I think it would be a cool feature.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:57:43 PM

No, lynx doesn't support javascript. So at least, that's the reason.
That would be great if there would be something that can be directly run from command line (the same way as --dumpwallet), just taking the TxId as input (or "all"?).
I don't know how specific is my need here, I might take the time to implement this myself if you have other more important things to work on.

More generally, do you plan on opening all existing functionnalities to command line with some flags? I think it would be a cool feature.
I'm not that busy currently it's just that I don't have access to my dev PC right now. If you want to make this on your own temporarily, take a look at delete_from_wallet

Yes I have such a project. Actually the aim is to rebuild pywallet from scratch with a structure that will easily allow me to create interfaces that will have the same commands: the CLI, the WUI, and GUIs (at least Qt for now)
I'm on another long project for now so I didn't even start it, I modify the current version with users' needs instead

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:02:53 PM

Couldn't make internet working, except on my mobile...
I'll try again tomorrow. Once I have internet it's a matter of seconds.

binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:31:35 PM

Don't worry, no hurry on my side. I have very little time in the few coming days so I won't be able to dive into pywallet code now.
Anyway, thanks for being super responsive!  Smiley

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:45:08 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2013, 08:57:18 AM by jackjack

That's insane, I already did this feature and I don't remember it...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.msg2239679#msg2239679

By the way, that made me find a bug when you don't use the '--web' flag so you may want to update anyway

binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:08:04 PM

Awesome! I'll try this! Thanks  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: