Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:41:17 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Bitcoin, Then Litecoin ... what's 3rd?  (Read 1093 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:20:45 PM

What would the *community as a whole* say is the next step down from ...

> Bitcoin .... > Litecoin .... >  ?

By step down I mean most likely to succeed, in the eyes of the financial  (or at least the Bitcoin) community.

What would be your pick for the 3rd player here?

Please resist all temptation to promote your random self made currency. 

I'm wondering who the other big player is if you had to pick a third.

Thank you.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:24:49 PM

From a technical point of view, the only coin that isn't either BTC's SHA256 nor LTC's scrypt.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
coinerd

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:30:47 PM

From a technical point of view, the only coin that isn't either BTC's SHA256 nor LTC's scrypt.

You posted this while I was posting, and I came to say nearly the same thing.

I think emunie might be a real sleeper with a deceptively silly name.

It's not satoshi-daemon based at all, it works very differently and while I haven't had the time to get very involved there are a lot of people looking to get behind something that isn't another pump'n'dump bit-clone.
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:31:23 PM

i don't think its really come out yet, although i'd like namecoin to rise up some. its only a little younger then bitcoin, it can be mined concurrently with bitcoin, and it has tangible use which makes it more commodity like.  Also its SHA256 which i think is unique as it seems all the other 1 million newbie blockchains are all scrypt.   It could really use a gui wallet tho lol.   but i think there's definitely room for a third which may emerge over the next year or two. its hard to say.
I think that marijuana is the real bar for legitimate currency. so far as i know people are selling weed for bitcoins and litecoins only.  if someone wants to sell me a bag for namecoins i'll definitely help establish the currency's legitimacy.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:39:07 PM

Allow me to explain why I ask.

Basically I missed the Bitcoin thing, as many of us did.  But many here were tinkering with mining it when it was only $2.00 too. 

Then I missed the Litecoin thing.  Why?   Because with my current hardware, I can't mine it.  My $7,000 in Sony Vaio Laptops can barely crack 7 kh/s.

Even with the AMD GPU in one of them, which simply doesn't work with any mining software.  Lucky me.

So im wondering if there's a third little fella out there who is still simple to mine with a CPU.  Still early.  And is getting repeat-references from people more often than the others.  Something I could still mine.  Or at the very least, purchase for dirt cheap and get a large quantity of.

Thank you.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
champbronc2

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:13:55 AM

Trading volume wise, FTC. Innovation goes to NMC. So either NMC or FTC. FTC has a strong community as well.

https://bitquick.co - Buy bitcoins instantly with cash at 2% fee or Sell Bitcoins at 0% fee with BitQuick.co. Encourage safer, more secure trading! Stop selling on LocalBitcoins.
Safe trading resource: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208203.0 Read it before you ever make a trade! Know what you're getting yourself into!
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:19:41 AM

Trading volume wise, FTC. Innovation goes to NMC. So either NMC or FTC. FTC has a strong community as well.

Well i also think that FTC have some future.
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:07:11 PM

I think Ripple is the 3rd.  That's how I invested when XRP was cheap a couple months ago.  Sure, it's closed source but it's innovation and challenge to all things Western Union is what makes it important in the near future IMO.  BitMessage also does this with the blockchain but I think Ripple may eventually go more mainstream and be easier for my grandma to use then the latter (BitMessage, not Bitcoin).

This also comes from the fact that ASIC miners are the current peak of SHA miners and FPGA miners are being researched by a few teams for Scrypt miners.  All this specialized hardware can be swapped to any of the crazy coins out there to generate and dump for either BTC or LTC.  That makes me believe that it may just be Bitcoin, Litecoin and Ripple.  1 SHA coin, 1 Scrypt coin and 1 company coin.  I think all the other variants of coins will have a hard time getting footholds when BTC and LTC continue to separate themselves in value and services and it's easier to dump many copy coins on the exchange then hold and wait and develop redundant products. 

And remember, Litecoin really doesn't have too much out there for consumers even after almost 2 years in existence. So those services need to bloom for LTC and then a copy coin like FTC or others can then build up.  I think a watering down of the copy coins will happen before services bloom in the wild.

I may be wrong about XRP, but I feel as confident putting my money in as I did when BTC was young and when LTC was young.  Much, much more confident then putting money into the other young alts out there with no plan to disrupt the current business plans in existence (like Western Union).
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:09:14 PM

http://www.megacoin.co.nz/
atomicchaos

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:22:05 PM

I think Ripple is the 3rd. 

I concur and also am watching Emunie. None of the other copycoins have any type of viable benefit or bring anything new to the table.

I just bought into Ripple yesterday, and while I know there are many people calling it a scam, it has more to offer than 99% of the altcoins. Sure, it's not popular, as you cannot mine it, but it has the best chance of widespread adoption, and can coexist with BTC/LTC. I see Ripple as being the widespread consumer based currency, while BTC/LTC continues to appeal to the more "underground" type transactions.

There are many legit investors in Ripple that can open doors a bit easier and help it succeed. No idea on the upside potential as it can be controlled, which I don't like, but it's a good risk. I thought buying ASICminer shares was a risk at 2.57 and only bought a handful, now I regret not getting more.

BTC:113mFe2e3oRkZQ5GeqKhoHbGtVw16unnw2
eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:49:03 PM

Allow me to explain why I ask.

Basically I missed the Bitcoin thing, as many of us did.  But many here were tinkering with mining it when it was only $2.00 too. 

Then I missed the Litecoin thing.  Why?   Because with my current hardware, I can't mine it.  My $7,000 in Sony Vaio Laptops can barely crack 7 kh/s.

Even with the AMD GPU in one of them, which simply doesn't work with any mining software.  Lucky me.

So im wondering if there's a third little fella out there who is still simple to mine with a CPU.  Still early.  And is getting repeat-references from people more often than the others.  Something I could still mine.  Or at the very least, purchase for dirt cheap and get a large quantity of.

Thank you.
Try Yacoin, GPUs aren't that much faster there. Also Onecoin is said to be CPU only for now.

Xboxthreefixme

Activity: 905

The one true king.

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:54:56 PM

namecoin ?

The one true king. 16wXmFwun1oQfvbgnQn19vQC6QEwKAFMr2
eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:58:20 PM

I thought yak coin had a wallet stealer in it, or has that been declared FUD?
Yeah that was bs, there supposedly was an infected cpuminer though, this one is OK: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=201027.0
Windmaster took over development as the original dev disappeared (like Satoshi ^^): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206577.0
180-page release thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=196196.0
Forum: http://yacointalk.com/
Exchanges: https://bter.com/ and https://www.cryptsy.com/
Network graphs: http://yacexplorer.tk/graphs.htm
Cheesy

pinarello

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

NXT is the future

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:11:13 PM

you aint see nothing yet , wait for eMunie you will have your answer.

ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:14:24 PM

DigitalCoin or MegaCoin
truelitecoin

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 01:35:49 AM

Zerocoin ?
cryto4rig

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:43:56 AM

lol, funny seeing what people think should be third...

PhenixCoin of course.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: