Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:28:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter USB - Overclocking/ hacking ?  (Read 168718 times)
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 11:47:41 AM

I was just illustrating a concept really.

OK I was hoping that was the case.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
cableiso

Activity: 244
Merit: 280

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:52:50 PM

What's the chance that these are firmware limited in later builds?  Just trying to explain how some people are changing crystals but not getting overclock.  Are they changing the wrong crystal?  Smiley

My 16MHz oscs are on the way, hope to mod this week.
joeventura

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:12:42 PM

Got bored, so i knocked up a crude drawing of a cooling/power solution. Its not to accurate scale, but you get the idea. Thoughts?

The fins are far too large, you need to go for surface area instead of mass.

I already have the heatsink and the fins are nowhere near as chunky as my drawing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Aluminium-Heat-Sink-Power-Amplifier-Power-Supply-Transistor-IC-FET-PA-/180826754352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a1a1d4d30

I was just illustrating a concept really.

Block Erupters are 25mm wide.

So are these little micro fans:  http://bit.ly/13P4NnB

That is all you need.
SolidBitShop

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:49:40 PM

I'm about to change my farm to 16 Mhz oscilator, (waiting for oscilators) but finally the custom heat sink has arrived 21x more surface than orriginal.
Original version will be 40mm so it will fit perfeclty for BEE. I made some measurments and on open air and its .... almost 30 degree Celcious difference (30 minuts with custom heat sink, 12 minutes on stock)
Unfortunatelly the small heat sinks wont fit once the BEE's will be in HUB, (or maybe they will have to check when more heat sinks will arrive) also I was using 1.3mm thermopad (0.3 on its way) it should help.
Add a fan to it ... and probably the *C will not be more than 30.

On Stock heat sink, the temp of BE100 quickly raises to 60 after short time, 80*C, while the heat sink is 53*C degree.
On Custom (without small ones) temp slowly go to 53 both on heat sink and BE100 chipset
On Custom (with small ones) temp quickly go to 53 but the heat sink heats slow to 50 - eventually 53*C

I think I wont use the small ones if they won't fit, it should protect the BEE from more heat while at 16Mhz crystal.

rad

rad2

rad3

rad4

w/o heat sink

with custom heat sink
Josue

Activity: 63

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:15:39 PM

Where do you buy this heat skins?? My 16 Crystals are in coming..

Width measured? (I think that my USB Hub is little to that...)

Lot of thanks¡¡
SolidBitShop

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 10:02:59 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2013, 10:13:48 PM by SolidBitShop

Unfortunatelly I had to custom order them.
They are not in stock.I made too big 50mm it was for the tests, final design will have 40mm lenght and total width is 20mm (Erupters fits perfeclty inside), With 0.3 mm thermalpad it will fit even the small ones to BE100 chip and the other small thingy to the right.

PS. My crystals will be here tomorrow but I wont be able to change them untill the day after tomorrow. Still have to buy Flux for SMD desoldering and soldering.

Josue

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 11:09:01 PM

Lot of thanks SolidBitShop, i continue searching a good heat skin¡¡

Thanks¡
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:04:17 AM

Just a general out-loud thought to ASICMINER:

Asicminer should design, build, and sell a customized version of the Block Erupter USB that has the resistor/crystal combos demonstrated to work within this thread, and sell them with, or perhaps even without, the current heatsink 'plate' but marked as an "OC EDITION(S)" with the requirement for additional cooling clearly embedded in the branding.

right now, everyone wants more power from the AM chips and this could be easily achieved by asicminer and purchased by miners at higher prices. I believe it is the most logical way for asicminer to maintain the relevance of the chips/device when in a month they will need to be priced around 0.1-0.15 BTC each if there is hope to break even on investment, which is probably close to the production cost

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Trillium

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:45:34 AM

Asicminer should design, build, and sell a customized version of the Block Erupter USB that has the resistor/crystal combos demonstrated to work within this thread, and sell them with, or perhaps even without, the current heatsink 'plate' but marked as an "OC EDITION(S)" with the requirement for additional cooling clearly embedded in the branding.

right now, everyone wants more power from the AM chips and this could be easily achieved by asicminer and purchased by miners at higher prices. I believe it is the most logical way for asicminer to maintain the relevance of the chips/device when in a month they will need to be priced around 0.1-0.15 BTC each if there is hope to break even on investment, which is probably close to the production cost

Then you would have people with zero electronics experience or understanding purchasing them, setting them to the fastest configuration and cooking it within minutes/hours/days etc. Then AM and its resellers would have to deal with people claiming their products were sold as faulty and depending on how they paid for it they would attempt chargebacks.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:09:51 AM

Then you would have people with zero electronics experience or understanding purchasing them, setting them to the fastest configuration and cooking it within minutes/hours/days etc. Then AM and its resellers would have to deal with people claiming their products were sold as faulty and depending on how they paid for it they would attempt chargebacks.

Bitcoin purchases only, with clearly specified policy regarding no refunds/returns.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
sassm430

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:21:14 PM

Hello everyone I am also temped to change the oscilator at my erupters (~40) but would like to do some tests and have found this ones http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/57346.pdf that I can buy directly at my town
So can someone please check and see if these would be ok and if they seem compatible? (I am more a software that a hardware guy)

My plan is to modify 1-2ps check them let them work few days and then order this http://www.ebay.com/itm/130853541733 that i found here at this thread (thanks to whoever posted it)

thank you in advance for the help and keep up the good work ;-)
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:33:09 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2013, 01:56:49 PM by tom_o

Just make sure you heatsink it well enough Wink

Was going through some boxes earlier and found a Freezer 64 that used to be on at Athlon 3700+ years ago, thought 'it's a shame that'll never be used again'. I had been thinking recently of replacing the ramsinks that I'd had on the back of my BE...

And the mains adapter was starting to get pretty warm too

SolidBitShop

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:54:30 PM

Does anyone who made to 16MHz oscilator upgrade measured the current?

It seems its 1A at +5V line. Voltage is 1.28V and they turn on an off, its not a stable run.

100Mh# more = 500mA more? Its pointles in that way.

I will try with cooling maybe this will help but 1A for BEE I think its too much.
ktbken

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 04:03:43 PM

You input voltage is to low check it. I use a bench psu with adjustable voltage and am running at 5.7v to get 5v at the erupter.
This will lower the amps used. My 5 oc ones using a 16Mhz xtal are using 4a all in
I have also seen some posts about low hash on oc erupters if you are using bfg you need to use the "-S all" switch not "-S erupter:all"

Multi-coin pools - http://united-miners.com - IRC  freenode #united-miners
SolidBitShop

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 04:46:24 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2013, 05:07:16 PM by SolidBitShop

At 5.6V At USB port it seems lower the current. but still from 1.12 to 1A, its too much.

Now its 5.11V but still 500mA for 100Mh# its pointless.

PS. Ok one BEE seems to be working stable with proper heat disipation (I broke the other one Cheesy), Now I will try to lower the current by adjusting the voltage, the one stable is 1.4V, I will try to go to 1.2 and see how it goes or even a bit lower (I have 1.2k 0.1% Resistors so quite precise).
ktbken

Activity: 158

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 09:25:01 PM

i am using 1.2k resistors with no problem and getting 447Mhs

Multi-coin pools - http://united-miners.com - IRC  freenode #united-miners
Josue

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 10:24:28 PM

i am using 1.2k resistors with no problem and getting 447Mhs

What crystal and heat skin?? Any photo?

Thanks¡
mjgraham

Activity: 188

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:48:25 AM

Hi everyone been following this thread quite a lot, so I decided to get one of these devices and of course modify it. I decided to run the clock from a Tektronix function generator, all works as expected at 12 MHz. Although I have not modified the power supply yet I notice at any rate about 12 MHz the green led starts staying on longer than the short blip. If I go to 13 MHz it stays on a little longer and at 14 longer still. While it is hashing it seem to be faster but the delay after it gets done acts like it limits it back to the stock freq. I don't know this for sure yet. I also attempted to remove the regulator IC and feed power directly form the lab supply, while the voltage was correct I could not get it to work at all, green LED went off but cgminer said no devices found, put the IC back in and went back to work, I just pulled the chip and fed where the inductor was. It did draw 1.4A at 1.05V not sure why it didn't work unless there is some kind of power sequence thing. I hope to play with it more tomorrow so we'll see if I make any head way.

Trillium

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 05:24:18 AM

I wonder how long until someone kills a BE because they don't know about disconnecting bench PSU outputs before turning it on.

SolidBitShop

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 08:00:22 AM

Hi everyone been following this thread quite a lot, so I decided to get one of these devices and of course modify it. I decided to run the clock from a Tektronix function generator, all works as expected at 12 MHz. Although I have not modified the power supply yet I notice at any rate about 12 MHz the green led starts staying on longer than the short blip. If I go to 13 MHz it stays on a little longer and at 14 longer still. While it is hashing it seem to be faster but the delay after it gets done acts like it limits it back to the stock freq. I don't know this for sure yet. I also attempted to remove the regulator IC and feed power directly form the lab supply, while the voltage was correct I could not get it to work at all, green LED went off but cgminer said no devices found, put the IC back in and went back to work, I just pulled the chip and fed where the inductor was. It did draw 1.4A at 1.05V not sure why it didn't work unless there is some kind of power sequence thing. I hope to play with it more tomorrow so we'll see if I make any head way.

I have noticed it also. (the green led thingy) but, when I addd some cooling ... it does not longer happens. So I think maybe the BE100 is overheating?
Also on my 108BEE's farm it happens from time to time. But it is a very short strong bleep.

Right now at 16Mhz 458 448 Mhz one on 1.4V the other on 1.3, Can tell right now wich one is which after 13 hours... it seems that its working but replace the crystal is darn hard.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: