Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:58:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Iceland and Bitcoin  (Read 2060 times)
Capitalism Prevails (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 02:00:03 AM

I don't consider myself and expert on this idea but wouldn't Iceland be perfect for mass adoption of Bitcoin?  Think about it.

1. Dirt cheap electricity for mining(geothermal power).
2. Cold weather to keep mining processors cool.
3. Strategically positioned between Europe and North America for network connections/servers and so forth.  I think they're building servers in Iceland for other reasons as well. 
4. Populace is well educated compared to most developed countries as they don't have much else to do except read a lot.
5. They hate banks!

What do you think?

BTC:  1KX3MSyeHoubjvRMvkc4DXBXvEx9fr9cvV                              Strength In Numbers
LTC:  LaGawfU1ZJu33Lj6CX6NJ5WXWsfjPbLLLW                          In Cryptography We Trust
NMC:  N5EUwGbCNF1AYmZqNu9J7aYJVKxqbJoJG8          Cut Off One Node, Two More Will Take Its Place
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dudeofthestick

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 02:12:03 AM

I asked for colocation pricing for servers and it was way more expensive than continental Europe and US. The only reason for it could be they are still far from mass adoption of these services like Netherlands, UK or Germany do.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 04:42:38 AM

6. They have currency restrictions*, which would both attract Bitcoin, and make it difficult to get it into the country.

* "ISK 8,000 is the maximum amount anyone person can import and export of the local currency"
Min€r

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:19:15 AM

6. They have currency restrictions*, which would both attract Bitcoin, and make it difficult to get it into the country.

* "ISK 8,000 is the maximum amount anyone person can import and export of the local currency"

But the bitcoin will never be imported or exported to Iceland - so it`s just a colocation / housing service like a lot of business do it. In my opinion it should be no problem if find attractive prices there.

BTC Sticker: German | English  
BTC Promo Sticker Sets: German | English
1P7fvQGyNx2EwUD7zVfY8jvDFjfA5Sq59b
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:15:22 AM

I don't consider myself and expert on this idea but wouldn't Iceland be perfect for mass adoption of Bitcoin?  Think about it.

3. Strategically positioned between Europe and North America for network connections/servers and so forth.  I think they're building servers in Iceland for other reasons as well. 
4. Populace is well educated compared to most developed countries as they don't have much else to do except read a lot.
5. They hate banks!

What do you think?
Most of these factors do not matter.

What does matter is if there is something that you or I want to buy from Iceland, and for which they will take bitcoin.
yavunka

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:23:38 AM

5. They hate banks!

What do you think?
Most of these factors do not matter.

What does matter is if there is something that you or I want to buy from Iceland, and for which they will take bitcoin.

There is nothing I want to buy from Iceland, so for me it doesn't matter at all. But naturally Icelandic people need to buy things from there and they can use their own currency as well as BTC...and they can use BTC to buy other currencies and then later sell those currencies and buy BTC again for ISK, making it rather worthwhile indeed.
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 06:36:59 AM

There is nothing I want to buy from Iceland, so for me it doesn't matter at all.

Me neither when goods are concerned, but I would love to go on vacation to Iceland at some point in the future because I'm sure this must be very, very beautiful and interesting!

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
pianist
Legendary

Activity: 954
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:47:18 PM

What do you think?

Any news from Iceland?

Thailand allows BTC trades, what about Iceland?
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:21:45 PM

Due to the capital controls put in place in 2008 to stop money flight on the króna, buying and selling Bitcoin in Iceland, which appears to consider Bitcoin as a foreign currency, is Illegal.[citation needed] The Icelandic Central Bank confirmed that "it is prohibited to engage in foreign exchange trading with the electronic currency Bitcoin, according to the Icelandic Foreign Exchange Act",[23] however commentators suggest bitcoins mined within Iceland could be freely traded.
But it seams that they have their own cryptocurrency : http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/25/bitcoin-goes-national-with-scotcoin-auroracoin

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:01:40 PM

5. They hate banks!

What do you think?

Your 1,2,3 is all about mining BTC
The network is secure and using tons of electricity, so why do we need more miners?

Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:48:34 PM

this is true, they did indeed chase out the bankers Cheesy

Iceland is an ideal place to start advertising in Smiley

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 09:45:50 PM

Do your homework people.

You've got a bit of a problem in Iceland.

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/technology/where-is-bitcoin-legal/?iid=EL

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
NationOwnedCCNow

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:08:10 AM

Auroracoin (Auroracoin.org)

That will be Icelands cryptocurrency. Already over 9% of the population have collected their coins from the first airdrop(50% pre-mined, Distributed to all Citizens)

Isn't this common knowledge here? Where have y'all been the last weeks?

(No, I'm not holding: Still waiting to jump in)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:43:36 AM

Iceland is the only country in the Europe, where BTC is banned completely.

According to the Central Bank of Iceland, domestic entities are not allowed to buy bitcoins from foreign entities, as such transactions are considered a capital movement out of the country. Such transactions are illegal due to the capital controls imposed in the country after the collapse of the banking system in 2008.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:11:42 AM

Iceland is the only country in the Europe, where BTC is banned completely.

According to the Central Bank of Iceland, domestic entities are not allowed to buy bitcoins from foreign entities, as such transactions are considered a capital movement out of the country. Such transactions are illegal due to the capital controls imposed in the country after the collapse of the banking system in 2008.

(1) Iceland is out in the Atanlic Ocean and is essentially a volcanic island.

(2) Who gives a shit what Iceland does?

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:18:26 AM

That will be Icelands cryptocurrency. Already over 9% of the population have collected their coins from the first airdrop(50% pre-mined, Distributed to all Citizens)

Since BTC is illegal in Iceland don't you think Auroracoin is a really bad idea?

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:21:36 AM

Since BTC is illegal in Iceland don't you think Auroracoin is a really bad idea?

Please stop trying to make sense to them.

They don't have any and your continued attempts in that regard give me a headache and stop up my computer.

Just kidding.

For part of it, anyway!

LOL!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:23:27 AM

That is definitely a point. The total population is only 300,000 and that can decrease if any of those volcanoes actually explode.  Grin
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:53:19 AM

That is definitely a point. The total population is only 300,000 and that can decrease if any of those volcanoes actually explode.  Grin

And if Eyjafjallajökull blows up there will be no more Iceland.

Can you say Eyjafjallajökull?

I can.

My $.02.

.Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:57:51 AM

That is definitely a point. The total population is only 300,000 and that can decrease if any of those volcanoes actually explode.  Grin

And if Eyjafjallajökull blows up there will be no more Iceland.

Can you say Eyjafjallajökull?

I can.

My $.02.

.Wink

RIP to anyone nearby when that blows up:

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: