Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:42:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you feel ICOs try to raise too much?  (Read 1719 times)
Haunebu

Activity: 3052
Merit: 969

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:10:35 PM

I think they it's not too much as they must have had calculated it beforehand. However for scam ICO's that's what I believe are raising too much and don't deserve our support.
I agree with you here. There are some legit ICOs out there who describe why they need so much money in the first place. It is easy to be skeptical about such figures and their reasons, but I trust some of them after doing my research. On the other hand, there are plenty of ICOs whose main purpose is to scam people and they quote big figures, but run away like ATS token(Example).

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alko89

Activity: 150
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:13:34 PM

I think 99% of ICOs are a scam and 99,9% of them will fall in the cumming years. Which are the ones with a realy good intention and idea, I guess only time will tell. Right now its imposible to say for any ISO that its 100% not a scam.
bixbem90

Activity: 420
Merit: 259

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:17:58 PM

As my opinion, ICOs if as crowded funding is good. They can have a chance to developing their project. But actually, many ICOs now is like scam ( Especially at ERC20 Token). They bump coin, crowded effect and Hunger Marketing lure everybody buy. Then bring investor money and go away, dont care about this project anymore. So be carefull when chosing some ICOs like have evaluate coin:
1. Have community or not
2. Do not make mistakes in English.
3. Having international community?
4. Roadmap
5. Whitepaper
...etc

jimsteel

Activity: 243
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:57:06 PM

I think it's a bit of a symptom of the ecosystem.

Think of it from the altcoin creator, imagine you put up your altcoin and you have the ability to raise millions when you only need 1 million to do what you need. It means you can scale, add more staff and really go with it. This is also including the fact that they want to remain in the cryptocurrency sphere and don't just want to make a cash cow.

Also I imagine that there are a lot of costs as well, god know how much ICO's are paying in advertising / events because they know there is so much money floating around.

But i do see your point, I think once ICO's stop being the flavour of the month, then more realistic targets will be upheld.
kambaralikhan

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAPPS

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:12:48 PM

Yes it's true, sometimes it happens but not always the case. It is not the bad thing that ICO try to raise big funds. It depends upon the complication of the project, the more unique, innovative the project will be, more funds it will require to undertake. Sometimes ICO raise funds more than necessary, that could be of any reason like personal gains etc. But this high raise or low raise should not be used as a measure of good or bad ICO. always invest in ICO whose team members are of well reputation and project is unique. Use whitepaper to know that. 

ASHLIUSZ

Activity: 994
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:24:01 PM

It all depends upon the project and the backing. When there is a perfect prior planning nothing to worry about it. What they tend to rise is acceptable. I have been into an ico investment and I find them good, because as they scheduled on the road map they used to provide all the token holders with the profit earned every quarter. This gave me additional hope on ico, and most ICO grow with legitimacy though some go as a scam.
itf991

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:45:42 PM

Hey, I'm interested in everyone's opinions on this. I find so often when looking for ICOs I come across something that sounds like a good idea but then am instantly put off when they all seem to trying to raise 10s of millions for something I would deem could be perfectly possible with only a couple of million or even less.

Do you feel that ICOs tend to try and raise too much? If yes, do you think this is out of greed for their own personal gain or simply because they over estimate the worth of their idea?

Do you feel there is anything we can do as a community to bring expectations back to reality? Other than waiting for ICOs to continually under perform and then eventually expectations adjust?
First of all, thanks for bringing this up for discussion.  I totally agree with you here. I could bring up an example here about Kik' s ICO. A grand total of 178.732 ETH/ $97.5 million. Although they were initially planned to raise  $125 million.  I were following them whey before fundraising and was going to invest , but their greedy ICO changed my mind to go ahead with it. I looked into their whitepaper and portfolio and didn't think it worths as much. I'm sure you can bring up many similar ICOs here with overrated fundraising plans.  These ICOs must be controlled by low. Exscudo will audit all ICOs on EON blockchain in the near future.  I'm looking forward to see the outcome of this.
hawkins

Activity: 1204
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:57:54 PM

Well, a project should have a target achievement. to make an ICO a success, I think the project must have a large capital. so, it makes sense if they need big funds, and high achievement.
bigdogdan2

Activity: 252
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:13:27 PM

not all ico are scams.  companies need to raise money to fund the project.  but look for projects with products already in beta or very close to it. 

OPEN Platform | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱Blockchain's First Payment API❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram
SupportBitcoin

Activity: 151
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 05:23:15 PM

Hey, I'm interested in everyone's opinions on this. I find so often when looking for ICOs I come across something that sounds like a good idea but then am instantly put off when they all seem to trying to raise 10s of millions for something I would deem could be perfectly possible with only a couple of million or even less.

Do you feel that ICOs tend to try and raise too much? If yes, do you think this is out of greed for their own personal gain or simply because they over estimate the worth of their idea?

Do you feel there is anything we can do as a community to bring expectations back to reality? Other than waiting for ICOs to continually under perform and then eventually expectations adjust?

I agree with you. It started out as a great idea but quickly became a money grab. There are some good ICOs out there you just really have to do your research and pick wisely.

██ ███ ████ █████ ██████  _______SupportBitcoin.com_______   ██████ █████ ████ ███ ██
COMING SOON FEBRUARY 10, 2018
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ditinhu

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 06:24:31 PM

In my opinion some Icos can rise and much, of course they will not be all.

The Icos at the beginning of the year were of great value, but with the increase in Bitcoin and
Forks they stopped climbing.

Now we have to wait for Bitcoin to stabilize the value so that they start eating again.

We will have to have patience because it can take a while for them to go up again.

•  ◢    B L U Z E L L E  |  A decentralized database service for the world's dApps    ◣  •
•  ███████   ANN  Whitepaper   Twitter   Telegram  Medium    Reddit   Github   ███████  •
•  ◥    Pre-register for Token Sale    ◤  •
tauceramica

Activity: 203

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 06:26:18 PM

Well, a project should have a target achievement. to make an ICO a success, I think the project must have a large capital. so, it makes sense if they need big funds, and high achievement.

That's right. If their aim is big enough, and then they can determine a high cap for their crowd funding. There is nothing wrong with this. But some projects are really abusing this obviously. They don't need that much money but they collect more than they need.
Snaic

Activity: 658
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 06:39:35 PM

I agree that as a result of the ICO, they are trying to raise too much money and therefore often such an ICO does not achieve positive results. In addition, some of them are direct fraud and are held only for the purpose of collecting money. However, ICO as a whole is necessary, their ideas are sometimes very necessary and promising. Here you definitely need

CryptRoller

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

Mining. Hosting. Cloud Mining.

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 11:28:37 PM

Definitely! I'm always flabbergasted seeing the amount of money they think is needed te start a business.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I've seen 'offline' businesses start with just a 'few' bucks and some years of hard work in order to grow to a revenue that some app-developer think they need just to start coding. Ridiculous if you ask me.

[   eGOLD  M I N I N G   ]    Mining. Hosting. Cloud Mining.
                                INVEST NOW                              
❪❪ WP | How it Works ❫❫   ◾ telegram  ◾ facebook  ◾ twitter
Gorgeous011235

Activity: 153

I Love DeepOnion!

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 11:35:36 PM

That's a good point.
Sincerely i think that most of ICOs are rising way too much than what they really need..the most asked now is for their personal greedy needs..
Crypto is still a very wild environment..and many people out there are taking advantage of this over naive investors pockets..
But if you are lucky enough ICOs are still worth investing and one can still make substancial profits out of it.  Wink

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
Flater

Activity: 136
Merit: 7

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 11:38:45 PM

I agree, when you see ICO raising XX millions just for a whitepaper and a good team it's a bit deconnected from the current funding rounds of "regular" start-up.

www.bitairt.io - World First Artificial Intelligence Artist on the Blockchain - Start to collect !
bitcoinvestor

Activity: 812
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:11:11 AM

of course they are expecting too much..

look at the ICOs nowadays.. minmum hard cap is 6 million

do we really need 6 million dollar to create an app or trading site which they advertise on their white paper?
This world is very open, no one can stop ico developers how muc they want to raise. They will raise as possible as they can. If you don't agree, they will not matter. ICO developers have team to raise fund. They plan the budget. The real ICO project will spend a lot of money too to develop the preparation for ICOs. I think no problem ICO raise too much money.
pigheadbig

Activity: 742

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:15:09 AM

I think most recent ICO projects are trying to raise too much money. And generally they can not raise that much. So I hope they do not do that.
CryptoBeefy

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:33:00 AM

Hell yes they set out looking to raise way more than they need. In theory though, if they hit these targets that should allow them to expand their teams and we stand a better chance of seeing the project see the light of day .... or they scam you and run away with whatever they make. Due diligence should be done on the trust and reputation of the team before parting with any of your hard earned money.
subG

Activity: 770

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:36:54 AM

I usually always avoid ICOs that are uncapped or have very high caps.  I just feel it is much harder to see profits.  Many of these projects with high caps usually drop below the ICO price when it first hits the exchanges, especially if they also offer bounty campaigns.  This just messes up things for investors.  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: