Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:11:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin does not have limited supply  (Read 3244 times)
Dylan Bargeman

Activity: 21
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 02:40:10 PM

Forks don't increase the supply, they make more denominations within the same limited supply. If you own 21 coins pre-fork then you own a millionth of the total supply. After a fork, you still own a millionth of the total supply of either chain.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anitaraymonds

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 02:57:49 PM

Bitcoin volume still remain 21 Million despite the number of forks. What happens when bitcoin is forked is that a new coin will come out of bitcoin. The last time bitcoin was forked we had Bitcoin Gold  BTG but this did not increase the volume of bitcoin as it is still at 21 million. Forks happen to increase the scalability of bitcoin as people will leave the main blcokchain and move over to the new coin and this will free the block of bitcoin a bit  for  faster transaction.
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 04:05:59 PM

I think forking exists in nature... so no need to worry too much.

However a fork should be considered artificial or fake of the real thing until it is becomes widely used. For example,  if you successfully create a replica of real Gold called  "R. Gold" by mixing different elements/compounds... you will still have to convince people that your RGold is better than real Gold. If your RGold is really better people will join you and start producing the RGold. The RGold will Ofcourse have limited supply because the elements for creating it will have to be mined and we assume their supplies are limited.
sumangs

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 04:24:51 PM

The argument is again and again that the value of Bitcoin will increase because supply is limited to 21 million. But this is quite simply wrong. Every time Bitcoin is forked that is in real terms an expansion of the Bitcoin currency beyond 21 million. To some degree the same is true of alternative crypto currencies which will flood the market. There is already more than 1000 cryptocurrencues ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptocurrencies )

If fork occurs, new kind of altcoin will born but not adding to the current supply of the bitcoin. And if you say that there is unlimited supply then the price of a single bitcoin would be very low even considering the number of forks that will do on the future.
bjmpoker001

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 02:10:57 AM

The argument is again and again that the value of Bitcoin will increase because supply is limited to 21 million. But this is quite simply wrong. Every time Bitcoin is forked that is in real terms an expansion of the Bitcoin currency beyond 21 million. To some degree the same is true of alternative crypto currencies which will flood the market. There is already more than 1000 cryptocurrencues ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptocurrencies )

Not really true. Bitcoin is still have limited supply of 21 million. If bitcoin forked into other coins, then it won't be a bitcoin anymore i guess.
Up to date, there is no coin have value like bitcoin. It means bitcoin is bitcoin, forked coin from bitcoin will never same as bitcoin.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
georgiasus

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 11:04:59 AM

The author, I do not understand you a little. Yes, emissions are limited to 21 million tokens. The farther, the harder is the extraction and consideration of these factors - yes, the currency becomes more expensive
ardentvolcanoes

Activity: 1036
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 12:40:58 PM

Not really true. Bitcoin is still have limited supply of 21 million. If bitcoin forked into other coins, then it won't be a bitcoin anymore i guess.
Up to date, there is no coin have value like bitcoin. It means bitcoin is bitcoin, forked coin from bitcoin will never same as bitcoin.
After the fork it's already have new identity so how come its still bitcoin? it will be classified as a new alts where the intentions is to be use same a like
how bitcoin was, the success of bitcoin can't be duplicated even its came from the core as people who understand bitcoin and support bitcoin will continue
to stay with the original one where they already familiar using it.
Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 12:58:04 PM

I agree (partially) with that statement. The other crypto adds its supply to the supply of bitcoin. But the catch is in the weighted way that the new supply should be added. To be more precise: if a new crypto has some little fraction of bitcoin's total market cap, then the total supply of bitcoin can be increased with the same fraction of the new crypto's supply. Those weights make those 1000 other cryptocurrencies completely insignificant, with maybe a few exceptions. Those exceptions do add some more-or-less significant fraction to bitcoin's 21 million, but all in all I guess it is just another few millions. Probably much less then the total lost bitcoin count, anyway
33bitcoin

Activity: 223
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 01:06:34 PM

Even though bitcoin has limited supply I wouldn't really say it does because their are other cryptocurrencies that are the same.  It's not like pople will only use bitcoin in the future, they will use all the other coins as well.  It's clear that consumers like choice.
trader_999
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 01:10:07 PM

If fork occurs, new kind of altcoin will born but not adding to the current supply of the bitcoin. And if you say that there is unlimited supply then the price of a single bitcoin would be very low even considering the number of forks that will do on the future.

some ppl can't get where is a real one "Bitcoin". they are not looking for tech, they are looking for profits.
jikurpa

Activity: 665

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 01:19:28 PM

maybe what I know is that the amount is limited in supply but the unlimited is the exchange and movement of buying and selling of the crypto currency itself and with that trade the price and value of crypto currencies vary in price
Ruffian1314
Copper Member

Activity: 322
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2018, 01:19:58 PM

I heard that argument over and over again, but I don't think it is a valid one. When you are forking bitcoin, you are not altering it's supply. You are creating a new coin, that needs to have a set of different rules, and so it cannot be considered bitcoin, so you can't say it's adding more coins to the BTC max supply.
The altcoin that results from that fork, could be accepted or not, and even if they are, they will not be confused with BTC.

Are you saying that bcash, or bgold is bitcoin? Are you saying these coins are an extension of bitcoin? They are not, so you can't say BTC limit supply was changed. You saw what happen after the B2x failed fork. Bcash was being pumped like crazy, and BTC price was decreasing. So basically these coins were "competing" with each other. Given this behaviour how can you say that the bcash fork was an expansion of bitcoin? They are completely different, and no mistakes should be made about that.
i think this is the best answer i saw so far because it explained the simple rules that is referring to argument in this post. Bitcoin supply is limited which in other terms is finite. You cannot say that bitcoin expand its supply by forking. Maybe ask more bitcoin experts for you to understand well about this topic.
Sanjida
Copper Member

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 01:21:58 PM

You are right partially as there is no limit to the prices of bitcoin.sometime is currently it has a supply of 21 million coins.supply of btc is ample until it tame the universe  bazaar.that has no influence on original bitcoin's supply.
Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 01:32:22 PM

I heard that argument over and over again, but I don't think it is a valid one. When you are forking bitcoin, you are not altering it's supply. You are creating a new coin, that needs to have a set of different rules, and so it cannot be considered bitcoin, so you can't say it's adding more coins to the BTC max supply.
The altcoin that results from that fork, could be accepted or not, and even if they are, they will not be confused with BTC.

Are you saying that bcash, or bgold is bitcoin? Are you saying these coins are an extension of bitcoin? They are not, so you can't say BTC limit supply was changed. You saw what happen after the B2x failed fork. Bcash was being pumped like crazy, and BTC price was decreasing. So basically these coins were "competing" with each other. Given this behaviour how can you say that the bcash fork was an expansion of bitcoin? They are completely different, and no mistakes should be made about that.
i think this is the best answer i saw so far because it explained the simple rules that is referring to argument in this post. Bitcoin supply is limited which in other terms is finite. You cannot say that bitcoin expand its supply by forking. Maybe ask more bitcoin experts for you to understand well about this topic.

Well patt0 agrees that BCH and BTC compete with each other. He says
(...)You saw what happen after the B2x failed fork. Bcash was being pumped like crazy, and BTC price was decreasing. So basically these coins were "competing" with each other. Given this behaviour how can you say that the bcash fork was an expansion of bitcoin? (...)
I say that the fact that they compete with each other for the same USD money (if one price goes up, the other goes down) should make us draw opposite conclusions than patt0 does: namely, the right conclusion as I see it is that the supplies should be added, because they compete for the same USD money!

I'll give you an example.
Example 1. If there are 100 bitcoins and all people in the world are happy to pay in total 100 USD for the bitcoins, the price will stabilize at 1$/BTC.
Example 2. If there were 50 bitcoins and all people in the world were happy to pay in total 100 USD for the bitcoins (total market cap just like in Example 1), the price would stabilize at 2$/BTC. But if they executed a fork (another 50 BCH, created out of thin air), competing with original BTC, making its price to go down to 1$, then we would have 50BTC at 1$, 50BCH at 1$, and total supply would be 100 cryptocurrency units (they have added up!) just like in the Example 1.

As you can see, the supplies should be added, because they compete for the same USD money!
Redenom

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 01:39:41 PM

the maximum supply is 21m and I believe the price of bitcoin will continue increasing after last coin will be mined 
mmo_online_1981

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 02:08:02 PM

At this point, it can be said that bitcoin has finite numbers! About 21 million, this number changes when the consensus members and developers change! I do not hope that, I hope much on the altcoin!
Nolan786

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 12:56:08 PM

Creating a new currency is not really a difficult thing to do. If you own 21 coins at a fork, you own a millionth of your total supply. Bitcoin always has a limited supply of 21 million and you can not change that even with endless forks. Bitcoin volume is still 21 million despite the number of branches. Last bitcoin was split in two, we had Bitcoin Gold BTG but this did not increase bitcoin volume as it is still at 21 million. I think forking exists in nature so there is no need to worry too much. The author, I do not understand you a bit.
bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 01:16:30 PM

nope, BTC supply is limited, fork just makes some new coins which are AltCoins, not Bitcoin.
Romeoetin

Activity: 240
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 01:40:00 PM

Bitcoin will always remain capped at 21M. The forks being created have no impact on the existing blockchain.
billionaireSHS

Activity: 269

Decentralized Transportation Solution

View Profile
October 07, 2018, 02:17:25 PM

As far as I know bitcoin have limited supply, and according to the articles that I have read it is about 21 million. I hope that this supply will never end, and I hope also that shortage will not occur. Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: