Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:19:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: With Gold & Silver tumbling, will investors seek out Bitcoin as a hedge?  (Read 2886 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 06:44:58 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/06/26/gold-plunged-to-three-year-low/2460251/

The price of gold Wednesday fell up to 4.2% to $1,224.18 an ounce, the lowest level since Aug. 24, 2010, says Bloomberg News. Gold is down roughly 23% this quarter, positioning the metal for its largest quarterly loss since 1920. Meanwhile, the price of silver is down to its lowest levels since August 2010. Wednesday, silver fell as much as 4.7% to $18.64 an ounce.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:52:50 PM

It would be fucked up to seriously invest in bitcoins
mupartee

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:03:39 PM

why? sure it has no guarantee and many obstacles to overcome if it wants longevity and adoption by more users (and governments) but nothing has a guarantee, as gold/silver is proving right now. I bought silver at $40/ounce three years ago when it was "the sure bet" and now I have less than half of my wealth. And I did that as a way to find a safe haven for a 12k investment that was salvaged from a failing IRA that had an original investment of 14k...

The majority of BTC investors bought BTC below its current price, and of all the options on the table, its appreciation since its inception and or any time prior to 6 months ago has outpaced all other options...
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:28:57 PM

why? sure it has no guarantee and many obstacles to overcome if it wants longevity and adoption by more users (and governments) but nothing has a guarantee, as gold/silver is proving right now. I bought silver at $40/ounce three years ago when it was "the sure bet" and now I have less than half of my wealth. And I did that as a way to find a safe haven for a 12k investment that was salvaged from a failing IRA that had an original investment of 14k...

The majority of BTC investors bought BTC below its current price, and of all the options on the table, its appreciation since its inception and or any time prior to 6 months ago has outpaced all other options...

Well if gold and silver investment can fail despite all predictions, imagine what can happen to Bitcoin...
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:33:04 PM

Well if gold and silver investment can fail despite all predictions, imagine what can happen to Bitcoin...

Gold and Silver are being suppressed artificially, by the bankers. Rothschilds set the rate daily, in London.
Bitcoins are not manipulated like this.

Neither would be the safest investment. But both are worthy investment gambles as anything else.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
exogan

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:35:10 PM

Gold and Silver are being suppressed artificially, by the bankers. Rothschilds set the rate daily, in London.

Neither would be the safest investment. But both are worthy investment gambles as anything else.

What is the reason for the bankers to suppress gold and silver?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:41:03 PM

Reading that makes me more likely to trade BTC for gold. I buy when the market tanks and sell when it soars. I divested of it a few months back when it was clearly at a silly high.

Perhaps it is time to buy back in. Hmmm.  Smiley

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitrebel

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:41:15 PM

All of the Patriots and Gold Bugs and Survivalists that stocked up in the last 4 years as prices rose, are not in the hole hundreds, and thousands, and hundreds of thousands of dollars per person who invested. They have to be hit hard to keep the NWO going. If those who bought and stocked up are allowed to increase their wealth, then that is power for the resistance to the central banking and power scheme. The metals market will be hit very hard before the crackdown, with NDAA, and then, sometime as people realize the extent of the collapse, prices will shoot up very high to where they should be, but by then, all the survivalists will have sold for less, to buy food and other supplies, and they no longer hold it in their hands. That's the plan, I believe.

bitrebel

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:41:52 PM

Reading that makes me more likely to trade BTC for gold. I buy when the market tanks and sell when it soars. I divested of it a few months back when it was clearly at a silly high.

Perhaps it is time to buy back in. Hmmm.  Smiley

It's predicted it will fall to around $1000, so hold on before you buy.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 07:43:50 PM

I see this as a good opportunity to buy gold & silver. Too bad I'm long term on them just as much as I am with Bitcoin. So I'm watching from the sidelines.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:48:31 PM

its a good opportunity to invest in silver and gold since the prices are low but i honestly stopped investing in them since i heard of bitcoin, i much rather invest in bitcoin where it has the chance to change the world and become a worldwide currency that can be used anywhere. Unlike gold and silver where no one is going to carry them around anymore because of its bulkiness.
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:55:08 PM

its a good opportunity to invest in silver and gold since the prices are low but i honestly stopped investing in them since i heard of bitcoin, i much rather invest in bitcoin where it has the chance to change the world and become a worldwide currency that can be used anywhere. Unlike gold and silver where no one is going to carry them around anymore because of its bulkiness.

That's sound more like a reason to invest in Bitcoin.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 08:32:21 PM

I tend to think they will.

Where else will they run to get good gains? The miners? lol

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:27:51 PM

The silver market is estimated at 80X Bitoin's. If 1% of the silver money went to Bitcoin, it would cause a huge uptick in the price.
Big paper silver market manipulators probably don't have Bitcoin on their radar because it's small potatoes.
And I bet only a tiny % of the average silver investor would consider Bitcoin because they are old school hard asset people.

I wonder how big 5% of the casual silver investor market is?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 09:45:11 PM

To put it simply without the crazy bullshit, it makes the people in power look good, because gold and silver is often used as a way of measuring inflation it would make sense to keep the prices low, that way people are supposed to think there's nothing wrong with paper money and it's doing fine, then of course Bitcoin comes along and fucks up that whole illusion Cheesy I think this is just a normal price correction though, people will be selling off etc. in preparation for the next collapse and yes, I do think one is coming soon because this is what happened the last time and the media was in complete denial back then too.
Vince Torres

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:20:01 PM

If you can't handle a 50% loss in an investment you may as well not invest. Quoted from Warren Buffet, paraphrased by me.

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:46:33 PM

No, the average investor will not hedge with Bitcoin.  The poor economic data that came out means the Fed is likely to keep printing.  If the Fed prints, yields go down and price goes up, so the hedge for a traditional investor is treasuries and equities.

Obviously we investors here are a different story but we make up only a fraction of the populace.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
bitrebel

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:53:25 PM

No, the average investor will not hedge with Bitcoin.  The poor economic data that came out means the Fed is likely to keep printing.  If the Fed prints, yields go down and price goes up, so the hedge for a traditional investor is treasuries and equities.

Obviously we investors here are a different story but we make up only a fraction of the populace.

You cannot print your way out of a paper bubble, without making the bubble that much more explosive.

ShroomsKit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:50:55 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/06/26/gold-plunged-to-three-year-low/2460251/

The price of gold Wednesday fell up to 4.2% to $1,224.18 an ounce, the lowest level since Aug. 24, 2010, says Bloomberg News. Gold is down roughly 23% this quarter, positioning the metal for its largest quarterly loss since 1920. Meanwhile, the price of silver is down to its lowest levels since August 2010. Wednesday, silver fell as much as 4.7% to $18.64 an ounce.

No.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:14:58 AM

You cannot print your way out of a paper bubble, without making the bubble that much more explosive.

What does that have anything to do with what I said?

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: